HS Football in Boone County

ChiefSmoke

8 hours ago, theguru said:

I feel like this has evolved to an exercise in semantics.  Not you (or anyone) specifically fc, I know you are smart about things like this. 

Generally speaking we have to find a way to better serve all students.  The only answer I see is school choice.  

School choice would be a possible answer if all things were equal. The problem is many, many students still won’t have a “choice” due to family, transportation or socioeconomic situations. What happens then is those students won’t have the same opportunities afforded those who can actually chose. We’ve seen this play out somewhat in Jefferson County. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

School choice would be a possible answer if all things were equal. The problem is many, many students still won’t have a “choice” due to family, transportation or socioeconomic situations. What happens then is those students won’t have the same opportunities afforded those who can actually chose. We’ve seen this play out somewhat in Jefferson County. 

This is literally already the case, and not just in Jefferson Co. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, theguru said:

I feel like this has evolved to an exercise in semantics.  Not you (or anyone) specifically fc, I know you are smart about things like this. 

Generally speaking we have to find a way to better serve all students.  The only answer I see is school choice.  

Doesn’t Jefferson County have school choice?

39 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Doesn’t Jefferson County have school choice?

On JCPS website for school selection you put your address in and it tells you your school and based on address where I live is Atherton. Different schools have magnet programs so can apply for those and end up at different school than your resides school. Getting in traditional program is based on lottery since more people apply then get in program and those schools feed into Male and Butler. Some of those who don't get in the traditional program end up going the private route. I've also seen kids in private leave as soon as get accepted to traditional program since they apply for traditional every year until get accepted.

• Thanks 3

This topic has kind of jumped the shark... but, technically speaking, every public school district is required to have a non-resident student enrollment policy.  Obviously, there are issues with this.  1.  If the school district or specific school you are trying to enroll in is full then they don't have to take you and 2. Any transfer must still separately meet the requirements of the KHSAA.

Back to Boone County specifically... the current system is untenable.  You have one high school whose feeders and the high school itself are probably at 90% free and reduced lunch (and that figure might be low).  Huge issue right there.  And no one in any of the better Boone County neighborhoods wants anything to do with re-districting.  More is not always better.  I think the ideal balance would be three high schools... Conner, Cooper and Ryle.  Shutter Boone and distribute those students accordingly.  It would create three 6A schools, but from an education and sports scenario this is probably what's best for the county.

The problem is they have dumped so much money into Boone they just can't abandon that facility.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, James Graham said:

This topic has kind of jumped the shark... but, technically speaking, every public school district is required to have a non-resident student enrollment policy.  Obviously, there are issues with this.  1.  If the school district or specific school you are trying to enroll in is full then they don't have to take you and 2. Any transfer must still separately meet the requirements of the KHSAA.

Back to Boone County specifically... the current system is untenable.  You have one high school whose feeders and the high school itself are probably at 90% free and reduced lunch (and that figure might be low).  Huge issue right there.  And no one in any of the better Boone County neighborhoods wants anything to do with re-districting.  More is not always better.  I think the ideal balance would be three high schools... Conner, Cooper and Ryle.  Shutter Boone and distribute those students accordingly.  It would create three 6A schools, but from an education and sports scenario this is probably what's best for the county.

The problem is they have dumped so much money into Boone they just can't abandon that facility.

Would the other 3 high schools be able to accommodate an additional 400+ students if Boone were closed in this scenario? And what about future growth in the county? The population in Boone county isn't going to start shrinking or even remain flat. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Would the other 3 high schools be able to accommodate an additional 400+ students if Boone were closed in this scenario? And what about future growth in the county? The population in Boone county isn't going to start shrinking or even remain flat. 

Good question.  I think they possibly could.  Ryle and Cooper were built in a way that it is easier to add "wings" to the school.  Conner is the outlier there.  My personal opinion is that you could target 2100 to 2200 per high school with three.  But, let's also take into account future growth.  A fourth high school should be built further out in the County, but still shudder Boone.  BCHS is the problem.  And, don't take this as a slight on BCHS.  None of this is their fault.  The concentration of free and reduced lunch is nearly all in Florence.  The only way to equitably deal with that is to disperse that population among other schools,  not concentrate it into one.  It is truly untenable with no good option.  Open enrollment would basically kill BCHS and re-districting is a non-starter for anyone not currently districted to BCHS. 

• Like 1

School choice is what makes this messy. I get it in theory, but it doesn’t work. The schools need to be districted, and people that don’t like it can move. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand or unfair about going to school where you live. For the most part, people with kids take that into account when looking at homes to purchase or rent. And if they don’t, that’s on them. 

Yes, BCHS is in a bad spot but it is what it is. They’re essentially an inner city school now and they will have to deal with what comes with that.  Whoever concocted this system really messed it up. 

No Politics Policy

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, lawmaker, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, White House, Capitol, General Assembly, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, bill, House Bill (HBxxx), Senate Bill (SBxxx), legislative process, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

18 hours ago, barrel said:

The thing is I’m not sure that is legal. 

I don't believe it is.  I think what Guru meant is an alternative school.  As to the state of football in Boone Co., I have always believed HS athletics, especially football, is coach driven.  The right coach can do wonders for a program, the problem is keeping them around with having to deal with idiot parents.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

I don't believe it is.  I think what Guru meant is an alternative school.  As to the state of football in Boone Co., I have always believed HS athletics, especially football, is coach driven.  The right coach can do wonders for a program, the problem is keeping them around with having to deal with idiot parents.

Yes @REALSPORT, an alternative school that maybe doesn't compete for a district championship and therefore can play a schedule right for them. 

One thing is for sure, stuffing students in the same big box based on geography is not working.