HS Football in Boone County

ChiefSmoke

3 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I was on State Championship St. X team that played Boone Co in Championship. Was very cold and turf was hard as concrete since frozen. We won 3-0. Kicked FG late in 4th quarter. It's sad to me that the once great program of Boone County has fallen on bad times. If you combined Ryle and Cooper that would be a great team in 6A.

I think the Boone County team that lost to Trinity was better and the Boone County team that never should have lost to Shelby County was amazing. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, barrel said:

The thing is I’m not sure that is legal. 

I don't think so either. And even if it was, people would still be trying to avoid sending their kids there even if their kids were flagged as needing to go there. 

The thing that needs to be kept in mind is that public schools are designed and intended as educational/academic institutions, not necessarily be sports powers. So assembling schools and corresponding populations in the interest of building football powers probably isn't in the best interest of ALL students. And while sports are certainly part of the high school experience, they certainly shouldn't be the end-all goal for a public school system. Boone County chose to build more schools to accommodate the growing population over expansion to provide a better academic experience. Not only that it does also create more opportunity for more students in extracurricular activities. The reality is, that option probably is better for the population of Boone County as a whole, even if it means the football/sports teams might end up less competitive. I come from a school that is larger than any school in Kentucky...we had 70 players on our Freshman team and over 100 on the varsity roster. There were very good athletes who could have played at a small school that literally never saw the field in their 4-year career. I don't think a couple of super big schools in Boone County and a Spec Ed school would be the best option, even if they competed for and won state championships on a regular basis. 

• Like 7

I had 3 cousins who lived in Forence and went to Boone co. They didn’t play sports but Ryle also was open open yet. They had two cousins play football for Boone but the 3rd went to Ryle and played in the early years of the program. The first two only went to Boone because Ryle didn’t exist yet. It was all country and farms back then. Suburban sprawl wasn’t even a concept I had heard of. It really hit home for me when I had a game at Boone Co vs Dixie for the 4A district title back in the 2000s with Rick Thompson as the HC. That’s the last time I believe they were truly a competitive program. My aunt and uncle still live in Florence in the 1950s subdivision they moved into in the late 60s but the area around there has certainly changed.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, theguru said:

We have a real controversy here, lol. 

No it’s not a big controversy because all rankings are either a person or group of people’s opinions and don’t change any outcome of any games. Just thought it was interesting that they were thought of as a better program even though they lost 3 years in a row.

4 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

No it’s not a big controversy because all rankings are either a person or group of people’s opinions and don’t change any outcome of any games. Just thought it was interesting that they were thought of as a better program even though they lost 3 years in a row.

That Was Sarcasm General Deckler GIF - That Was Sarcasm General Deckler Tom GIFs

48 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I don't think so either. And even if it was, people would still be trying to avoid sending their kids there even if their kids were flagged as needing to go there. 

The thing that needs to be kept in mind is that public schools are designed and intended as educational/academic institutions, not necessarily be sports powers. So assembling schools and corresponding populations in the interest of building football powers probably isn't in the best interest of ALL students. And while sports are certainly part of the high school experience, they certainly shouldn't be the end-all goal for a public school system. Boone County chose to build more schools to accommodate the growing population over expansion to provide a better academic experience. Not only that it does also create more opportunity for more students in extracurricular activities. The reality is, that option probably is better for the population of Boone County as a whole, even if it means the football/sports teams might end up less competitive. I come from a school that is larger than any school in Kentucky...we had 70 players on our Freshman team and over 100 on the varsity roster. There were very good athletes who could have played at a small school that literally never saw the field in their 4-year career. I don't think a couple of super big schools in Boone County and a Spec Ed school would be the best option, even if they competed for and won state championships on a regular basis. 

Great post!

1 hour ago, Tkinslow said:

I’ don’t  really understand what that means I don’t think a families monetary earnings affects an athletes ability.

I think I would have to agree with you here just based off my hometown of Mayfield. Very poor town, very solid football program. Now Mayfield might be an outlier in that conversation. I don’t know.

7 minutes ago, Astro Domino said:

I think I would have to agree with you here just based off my hometown of Mayfield. Very poor town, very solid football program. Now Mayfield might be an outlier in that conversation. I don’t know.

I think so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, theguru said:

I would have expanded Ryle and Conner, made Boone County a special education school, never built Cooper, and I would allow anyone to go to any Boone County high school. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I don't know about all that.  I am trying to propose what I think is best for the children involved.

Would not be legal at all, and definitely not what’s best for the children involved. Having a school only for special education is the complete opposite of what would be best for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Finally someone on here who actually understands why schools exist in the first place.  So many on here trying to live vicariously thru high school kids is really sad. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Would not be legal at all, and definitely not what’s best for the children involved. Having a school only for special education is the complete opposite of what would be best for them. 

Jefferson County has special schools but they don't offer sports. They have a couple of schools for kids that get kicked out of other JCPS schools for behavior issues like fighting.  Manual is special on the opposite spectrum. Have to get accepted and have really good grades and they have no resides district so anyone can go there if meet their admission standards. 

33 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I feel like this has evolved to an exercise in semantics.  Not you (or anyone) specifically fc, I know you are smart about things like this. 

Generally speaking we have to find a way to better serve all students.  The only answer I see is school choice.  

• Like 1