Covington Catholic 35 Highlands 21

14 hours ago, Bluebirdbath said:

It is not a laughing matter, it is sad in my thoughts. To see any High School with lack of self discipline, discipline from any Coach, discipline to put any School Uniform on and display yourself causing personal fouls, several flags thrown and a personal foul on your Coach. The only other thought I can hope is that any School Administration would step in and make it LOUD and clear that the display of discipline would NEVER appear in any game or practice, again. Once you put a Uniform on representing your school and community, you should be the epitome of self respect, school and community respect, playing by the rules of the game. Many people hope the display of said game 8/25/2023 will never be seen again by the team showing such lack of self discipline. I sincerely hope this game can be put in the archives and never be discussed again. 

I agree as a CCH fan.   Don't get me wrong I love CCH beating up on the Birds as much as any Cov Cath fan.  But I'm a Northern KY guy.  Born and bred.  I knew Highlands.  I tongue and cheek hated Highlands.  Ultimately, as much as it pains me to put this in print, I respected Highlands for how they handled themselves as students, as athletes and for the accomplishments they had achieved and how they achieved them.  As an adult now I don't know if I have that same respect now.   It's not the same.  But in fairness it's not the same anywhere.    But the problem is you are holding your football coach to a higher standard than the parents, students, teachers and principal.   That's a problem.  When the football coach is held to a higher standard than the teachers' parents and school administration, the coach is going to fail more times than not.   What my wife and I saw on the field was not quite as bad as what I saw and experienced in the stands, on the school grounds and on the sidewalks walking up to the school.   If you want details private message me and I'll give them.   The vulgarity is not fitting for this public forum.   Spires does have a discipline problem, but he alone will not solve it.  It is beyond him at this point.   If X's and O's are your problem with him then so be it, but if its behavior and discipline the school needs to take a step back and look at itself first.   

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, UKato91 said:

I agree as a CCH fan.   Don't get me wrong I love CCH beating up on the Birds as much as any Cov Cath fan.  But I'm a Northern KY guy.  Born and bred.  I knew Highlands.  I tongue in cheek hated Highlands.  Ultimately, as much as it pains me to put this in print, I respected Highlands for how they handled themselves as students, as athletes and for the accomplishments they had achieved and how they achieved them.  As an adult now I don't know if I have that same respect now.   It's not the same.  But in fairness it's not the same anywhere.    But the problem is you are holding your football coach to a higher standard than the parents, students, teachers and principal.   That's a problem.  When the football coach is held to a higher standard than the teachers' parents and school administration, the coach is going to fail more times than not.   What my wife and I saw on the field was not quite as bad as what I saw and experienced in the stands, on the school grounds and on the sidewalks walking up to the school.   If you want details private message me and I'll give them.   The vulgarity is not fitting for this public forum.   Spires does have a discipline problem, but he alone will not solve it.  It is beyond him at this point.   If X's and O's are your problem with him then so be it, but if its behavior and discipline the school needs to take a step back and look at itself first.   

I don’t disagree, and have heard similar. Cheerleaders have been asked to stop cleaning up the stands after games because of some of the things they’ve been finding. A revolving door in the administrative offices doesn’t help. Bob and company are about to have their 3rd principal in 3 years. Solid all around. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 3:27 PM, 9068 said:

Eviston is a fine coach. I know this won't fly with the Bluebird faithful(pretty good, huh?)but just maybe Cov Cath has also had BETTER PLAYERS for the last few years.

Some of us have been trying to tell them that, yet they refuse to accept it. 

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more with UKato91 and 1959. The root problem is deeper than football coaching. Unfortunately, it's a reflection of the state of our current society. I would say it's sad, but it's gone beyond sad. (in my humble opinion)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DoubleDuce said:

Couldn't agree more with UKato91 and 1959. The root problem is deeper than football coaching. Unfortunately, it's a reflection of the state of our current society. I would say it's sad, but it's gone beyond sad. (in my humble opinion)

Welcome to BGP @DoubleDuce!

2 hours ago, DoubleDuce said:

And the limitations on what coaches are able to say to kids and how problems can be handled are different than they were 5, 10 , 15 or 25 years ago. The list of cants are far longer than the list of cans.