Covington Catholic 35 Highlands 21

2 minutes ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Spectacular take….Tate Kruer as our MIKE as a Junior does not ever get near the credit He should.  Tate and Andrew Bessler as Junior LB’s at just too much for any team to handle…..loads for the next 2 years

He’s a stud. Not the massive Mike that we’ve had throughout EE’s tenure, but really tough, athletic and high football instincts. Would love that kid on my team any day. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

- It’s a tough look for the Highlands coaching staff when your team commits I think 5 first half personal fouls and you lose the turnover and kicking battle. Even though I really liked some of the stuff they did in the run game, it came down to that and being completely one dimensional on offense. 

- Pitzer is so tough. He took some absolute shots tonight (part due to him, part to the coaching staff and part OL) and kept firing some big time throws. When your QB plays like that, it elevates the whole team.

- Benke and Giesler running with that OL and some really good design is a beast. Fortunately for us, the passing game didn’t exist and it’s so difficult to beat similarly talented teams not being able to run and throw. 

- Big games for Braylon Miller, Cash Harney and Tate Kruer, especially on defense. 

- I could not believe some of the unfavorable front looks we were willingly running into on offense. Between that and not calling any quick game vs loose man when Highlands was heating us up, it was definitely not EE’s best game as a play caller. We really only got it going when Highlands backed off in 2 minute at the end of the first half and Pitz and the receivers bailing us out on 3rd and longs. 

Thanks @CCHFC, we are all lucky to have you here. 

• Like 2

Highlands is getting what the administration has tolerated. The taunting and stupid penalties tonight are unacceptable.  A perfect example of what’s resulted in 6 or 7 years of substandard football.

The principal should tell the coach to clean it up or he won’t be there next year and we’ll find somebody who will. As a player, if you can’t control your emotions, there’s a seat on the sideline or up in the stands. A little discipline could go a long way to improving this team. The more poised team won this game whether they arguably should have or not. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

Been watching this series for a long, long time. And win or lose, it never disappoints. I really "checked out" of the game I was at to follow along here. Congratulations Colonels.

By the way @Fan of Karen, I too like donuts.

Screenshot_20230825-225929__01.jpg

I have two donuts left Owl.  I can take a break and drink a Guinness Extra Stout while I wait for you to get here if you want to have a donut with me.  I have a Boston Cream and a Maple Bacon left.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

No more playoff rematch due to realignment this year as Highlands sated in 5A and Cov Cath dropped down to 4A

@Cov_Cath_Hwy I am aware.  Just thinking of an excuse as to why the play calling was so bad.  Benke run, Geisler run or WR screen.

Highlands was very undisciplined on defense.  Personal fouls, constantly pointing at fans/student section etc.

The bringing in the backup QB after the turnover was a killer.  To me, run Geisler or Benke 4 straight times.

Cov Cath dominated the line of scrimmage in the 2nd half.

Had the pleasure of sitting next to a former Highlands player from about 13 years ago.  He was baffled with the walking on the field instead of running.  Ironically, a friend texted me who also played about 20 years ago and mentioned the same thing.  They both were pretty upset about it.

On 8/19/2023 at 4:30 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Covington Catholic travels to The Fort. Who wins? What matchups are looking forward to seeing? 

BEAT COLONELS!

I personally don’t think the score reflected the game. Lots of flags thrown, game played closer than the score reflects, IMMHO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theguru said:

Clearly in the second half we agree.

It is not a shame to me because as a "NKY Guy" the thought of both teams winning a state championship in the same year is delightful. 

It's a good thought, but the idea of 4A not going to Boyle or Corbin is hard to imagine.