Covington Catholic 35 Highlands 21

1 minute ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

The Colonel lines for the second week in a row were both brutally dominant.  Our trenches rule!  Congrats to Ben Reeves and company for setting the tone and getting after it.

Reeves is a work horse. Way to go young man tonight. He’s enjoyable to watch. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theguru said:

Clearly in the second half we agree.

It is not a shame to me because as a "NKY Guy" the thought of both teams winning a state championship in the same year is delightful. 

13 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I was actually talking about this with someone today.

Beechwood, CCH and Highlands

all winning a State Championship this year would be amazing! 

7 minutes ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Totally get it and the thought of multiple NKY State Champs is beyond cool, just missing this playoff matchup…..sometimes I lament change. Used to getting this game twice a year most years and that is now over….

Go multiple NKY State Champs!

I remember back in 1994 (the days of only 4 football classifications), Beechwood was playing in the 1A state championship, Cov Cath was playing in the 3A state championship, and Boone County was playing in the 4A state championship. The three schools had "Northern Kentucky Iron Triangle" signs printed up and handed out to fans at the three state championship games...one of the school names was on each point of the triangle. The 4A game was last, and Trinity beat Shaun Alexander and the Rebels. There was a copy of that sign with the "Tri," "Boone County Rebels," and one side of the triangle blanked out with cloth trainers tape that was taped on the back of the door in the training room at Cov Cath until I graduated 😂

"The Northern Kentucky Iron    angle" 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

- It’s a tough look for the Highlands coaching staff when your team commits I think 5 first half personal fouls and you lose the turnover and kicking battle. Even though I really liked some of the stuff they did in the run game, it came down to that and being completely one dimensional on offense. 

- Pitzer is so tough. He took some absolute shots tonight (part due to him, part to the coaching staff and part OL) and kept firing some big time throws. When your QB plays like that, it elevates the whole team.

- Benke and Giesler running with that OL and some really good design is a beast. Fortunately for us, the passing game didn’t exist and it’s so difficult to beat similarly talented teams not being able to run and throw. 

- Big games for Braylon Miller, Cash Harney and Tate Kruer, especially on defense. 

- I could not believe some of the unfavorable front looks we were willingly running into on offense. Between that and not calling any quick game vs loose man when Highlands was heating us up, it was definitely not EE’s best game as a play caller. We really only got it going when Highlands backed off in 2 minute at the end of the first half and Pitz and the receivers bailing us out on 3rd and longs. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 1963 BIRDS said:

Guys played their hearts out. Just wasn't their night. I'm still proud of them.

Seriously, Highlands has two plays in their play book. Screen pass and QB draw. They did not attempt a pass over 10 yards that I can remember.

I'd say it's more like screen pass, QB draw, and "give it to Geisler and let him get it done."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

- It’s a tough look for the Highlands coaching staff when your team commits I think 5 first half personal fouls and you lose the turnover and kicking battle. Even though I really liked some of the stuff they did in the run game, it came down to that and being completely one dimensional on offense. 

- Pitzer is so tough. He took some absolute shots tonight (part due to him, part to the coaching staff and part OL) and kept firing some big time throws. When your QB plays like that, it elevates the whole team.

- Benke and Giesler running with that OL and some really good design is a beast. Fortunately for us, the passing game didn’t exist and it’s so difficult to beat similarly talented teams not being able to run and throw. 

- Big games for Braylon Miller, Cash Harney and Tate Kruer, especially on defense. 

- I could not believe some of the unfavorable front looks we were willingly running into on offense. Between that and not calling any quick game vs loose man when Highlands was heating us up, it was definitely not EE’s best game as a play caller. We really only got it going when Highlands backed off in 2 minute at the end of the first half and Pitz and the receivers bailing us out on 3rd and longs. 

Spectacular take….Tate Kruer as our MIKE as a Junior does not ever get near the credit He should.  Tate and Andrew Bessler as Junior LB’s at just too much for any team to handle…..loads for the next 2 years

• Like 1

It’s not all horrible for the Highlands coaching staff, I thought they did some great stuff running the ball that I hope we steal for the next 2 years with an athlete like Gaiser or Harney at QB. A bunch of counter, power read and counter read.