2023-24 Covington Catholic Colonels

2 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

Would be interested to hear why with such conviction? If the kid continues at this trajectory he will become bigger than 9th region and KHSAA ball talent wise. Why not push your son/player and get them to the highest place possible. Look at Jasper Johnson and his situation!

You know I hear folks say this all the time but I’m not sure I subscribe to it all the time. I think if you’re already a kid receiving high D1 interest then staying in Kentucky doesn’t hurt you too much. But if you’re under recruited then I could see going the prep route. I’ll give two recent examples. Kaleb Glenn was a top 100 recruit at Male. Averaged like 20 points and 11 rebounds as a Junior. He leaves Male for La Lumiere, and a national schedule, and he put up almost the exact same stats he did in KY. Of course he played with better talent, and against better talent, but I think he was going to be good no matter where he played his Senior year.

The second example is Braxton Beverley. He was pretty much an after thought nationally as a recruit. He was “just” an All State caliber player that was probably going to play in the MAC or OVC. Well he decides to go to Hargrave Academy. While at Hargrave he catches the attention of Power 5 programs and ends up at NC State. IMO AAU ball has made it to where you don’t have to play high school ball at these prep schools if you’re already a known entity.  It’s just a trend that has caught fire because of social media and ESPN.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoBucks97 said:

Unfamiliar with B miller. Care to enlighten me?

Braylon Miller played his sophomore year and got some time on the varsity floor.   He took his junior year off for football and had a very successful year on the gridiron.  I am hearing from another parent on the team he is coming back.   If he comes back, he would be the best athlete on the team.   I specifically say athlete and not player.  He is not tall at 6 ft but would be the fastest on the team as he is indeed the fastest and quickest on the football team.  He has significant elevation above the rim.  What he lacks in height he makes up in hops and physicality.  He "had" a pretty good shot but his absence from the game could have changed that.   If he plays, I expect him in the starting lineup shortly after the football season ends.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Where will Ruthsatz’s son, Junior, Nolan, fit in with this team?  I’d think Scott would want him to start or be first off the bench. 

Unless he improved dramatically, based off the pieces they have added, I would say he stays role play off the bench.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

How will Harney be eligible?  Did he not play varsity sports at Beechwood?  

3 hours ago, throwback32 said:

I believe there was a religious aspect of his transfer but then again I am not for sure.

Also, Harney's situation will be reviewed under the old rules. The new district restriction rule will not apply to him going from public to private.

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Also, Harney's situation will be reviewed under the old rules. The new district restriction rule will not apply to him going from public to private.

In other words there isn’t anything to worry about with that one.

16 hours ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Unless he improved dramatically, based off the pieces they have added, I would say he stays role play off the bench.

Yeah he will be a great 3rd guard to bring in and control the pace of the game. Highly efficient player that doesn’t make mistake and can knock down shots. It’s crazy cause they have the Gaiser boy too, which I almost feel bad for because he has all these guards in front of him and they are around the same age.

17 hours ago, Ordell said:

You know I hear folks say this all the time but I’m not sure I subscribe to it all the time. I think if you’re already a kid receiving high D1 interest then staying in Kentucky doesn’t hurt you too much. But if you’re under recruited then I could see going the prep route. I’ll give two recent examples. Kaleb Glenn was a top 100 recruit at Male. Averaged like 20 points and 11 rebounds as a Junior. He leaves Male for La Lumiere, and a national schedule, and he put up almost the exact same stats he did in KY. Of course he played with better talent, and against better talent, but I think he was going to be good no matter where he played his Senior year.

The second example is Braxton Beverley. He was pretty much an after thought nationally as a recruit. He was “just” an All State caliber player that was probably going to play in the MAC or OVC. Well he decides to go to Hargrave Academy. While at Hargrave he catches the attention of Power 5 programs and ends up at NC State. IMO AAU ball has made it to where you don’t have to play high school ball at these prep schools if you’re already a known entity.  It’s just a trend that has caught fire because of social media and ESPN.

I think it’s more of the understanding you are getting national eyes on your kids. College Scouts, NBA scouts, Overseas scouts. Your kid is going up against the best of the best everyday in practice. Many times these kids are the best player at their school, don’t go as hard daily. Or don’t get pushed as hard daily because they are so superior. For me personally If my son ever gets there and as a family we get that choice it’s a no brainer. You are simply pushing them to the highest possible level they can go. You’re getting them ready for what it will be like at a major school or in the league. Diets, Daily Planning, training, coaching; there is a lot into play of it all. More than just putting up stats or numbers, I’ve seen kids go and put up worst numbers. But it’s still way more beneficial than dominating KHSAA ball. It’s more so of the thinking of I have to continue to elevate and get better rather than he’s gonna be good no matter where he plays.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

I know football is getting most of the attention right now, but with Summer over and school starting anyone have any updates or takes on how we looked over the Summer and where we stand heading into the season starting soon?

I’m also interested in how the summer went. Haven’t heard much about Hussey, who/where did he play this summer? Or was he focusing on Tennis?

Glad the Harney situation should be figured out by hoops season. 

11 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I’m also interested in how the summer went. Haven’t heard much about Hussey, who/where did he play this summer? Or was he focusing on Tennis?

Glad the Harney situation should be figured out by hoops season. 

I am not sure I share your optimism on the Harney situation….I am usually a keg not half full, but all the way full especially when it comes to the Colonels, but everything I am hearing seems to point to either no decision in the indefinite future or Him being ruled ineligible…..I really hope I am dead wrong and my info is bad….would love to be proven wrong here.

And yes, outside of one 10 point loss to Newport, I have heard squat over the summer about the Hoops team.  And with Hussey’s ability, my guess is He plays high level AAU somewhere….just lacking info this Summer

• Thanks 1