2023-24 Covington Catholic Colonels

On 3/30/2023 at 3:10 PM, The Oracle said:

What rabbit will Coach Ruthsatz and Coach Fredrick pull out of their hat for next year after graduating their Mr. Everything from the past 3 seasons?

Heard rumors of Athens McGillis heading back over to OH next year in addition to rumors of Warmuth (sp?) joining Harney in heading to CCH from Beechwood. Also heard Jeff Ruby has a grandson eyeing CCH for next year. Hussey, Johnson, Steward and N. Ruthsatz are going to be major players on the team next year. I expect to see alot out of Bradshaw too.

17 hours ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

I could be off on this, but I just heard from the best source that a NKY Big just transferred and enrolled at CCH….this would be in addition to Ruby’s Grandson…..anyone hearing anything on this.

16 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

I can't come up with a Big in NKY.  If reported by the best source, please tell.

15 hours ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

A Big maybe overstating as he is more of a 3 guy, but has size and is from Beechwood.  Got it from someone involved with the team.  Was told he has already enrolled and is practicing.  Kind of stumbled onto the info….

9 hours ago, bigblue96 said:

This speculation started swirling a few days after the Harney speculation. Surprised it took this long to become public.  If you watched the district final he was probably the 2nd best player on the court that evening, at least in that game.  Big loss for the tigers new coach and hope the kid doesn’t get lost in the shuffle in Park Hills. Should be a nice addition for the Colonels. 

@The Oracle mentioned Logan Wermuth in the original post in the thread. He was one of 4 players on the Beechwood roster to play in all 31 games last season. Beechwood's Hudl roster last year listed him as a 6'1" freshman SG/SF. I believe his family moved into the area from around Winchester. He's a pitcher with the Cincy Flames as well. I haven't seen anything definitive about Logan transferring, but I have heard numerous people say in the last couple of months that he is going to be enrolling at Cov Cath.

At 6'1" I wouldn't necessarily call Wermuth a big, though. Beechwood did have a sophomore "big" last year in center Mattox Kelly. He was also a offensive lineman/defensive end on Beechwood's JV team. But I haven't heard a word about Kelly transferring - just looking through the Tigers' roster for big men. Are either of those the guy you're talking about @Cov_Cath_Hwy?

3 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

@The Oracle mentioned Logan Wermuth in the original post in the thread. He was one of 4 players on the Beechwood roster to play in all 31 games last season. Beechwood's Hudl roster last year listed him as a 6'1" freshman SG/SF. I believe his family moved into the area from around Winchester. He's a pitcher with the Cincy Flames as well. I haven't seen anything definitive about Logan transferring, but I have heard numerous people say in the last couple of months that he is going to be enrolling at Cov Cath.

At 6'1" I wouldn't necessarily call Wermuth a big, though. Beechwood did have a sophomore "big" last year in center Mattox Kelly. He was also a offensive lineman/defensive end on Beechwood's JV team. But I haven't heard a word about Kelly transferring - just looking through the Tigers' roster for big men. Are either of those the guy you're talking about @Cov_Cath_Hwy?

Dan Weber reported on Wednesday that Caden Miller (Jeff Ruby's step-grandson) will be on the team next year, as will Cash Harney and Logan Wermuth from Beechwood. He also stated that Athens McGillis is returning.

Dan Weber’s Just Sayin’: Big news on 9th Region hoops, NKU’s historic spring, track by the numbers | NKY Tribune

First of all, there’s 6-foot-9, 205-pound Caden Miller, an All-State Arkansas player from Bentonville High, a school of 3,143 students that finished third in Arkansas’ Class 6A, who will take his senior talents to Park Hills, Son of former Bengal Caleb Mller, who played at the University of Arkansas and is now the executive director of the Jeff Ruby Foundation, has an impressive skill set having averaged a double-double the last two seasons.

Miller has a 36-inch vertical leap and looks equally at home on the perimeter as he is down on the blocks. He has offers from Missouri, Mississippi State, Oregon State and DePaul and the reputation as a shot-blocker.

But he’s not alone. Two players who had a ton of varsity experience at Beechwood as freshmen – Cash Harney and Logan Wermuth — are also headed to CovCath. Two-sport guy Harney stepped in as starting quarterback the first five games last fall with Clay Hayden’s injury including a tough one at CovCath, where he completed 50 of 76 passes with two interceptions and seven touchdowns. He’ll compete with junior Evan Pitzer for the starter’s role in football and will give the Colonels a point guard to play along with returning starter Athens McGillis, also a sophomore-to-be. In 15 games, Harney averaged 15.0 points a game and 2.8 rebounds while Wermuth played in 31 games with a 4.3 scoring average along with 2.3 rebounds.

4 hours ago, PRS said:

Is Wermuth going to play baseball at CCH? It’s his best sport I’m told and I don’t think he’s played for Beechwood at all. 

Did he play JV baseball for Beechwood?

I know he’s on a Cincy Flames team this summer and have seen PBR tweets about him.

Wonder when he’ll start practicing with CCH basketball? Or is he doing that while managing summer baseball?

25 minutes ago, 111 said:

Whatever happened to Darren Horns son at Cov Cath?

He is currently on UKs roster as a Freshman. Not a ton of play time though.

He transferred back to Texas his Senior year. Missing family and friends is what I heard. 

2 hours ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Heard Newport won by 10…..not sure how much stock to put into Summer Ball….

I’ve heard the same thing, I would say with their talent and how they play it caters to them more forsure. But Newport will undoubtedly be the favorite and most talented going into the season, it’s on CCH and Cooper to knock them off.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GoBucks97 said:

I’ve heard the same thing, I would say with their talent and how they play it caters to them more forsure. But Newport will undoubtedly be the favorite and most talented going into the season, it’s on CCH and Cooper to knock them off.

Totally agree with this on Newport.  Once Harney, Wermuth, and Miller settle in and learn the system and their teammates it could very easily be a totally different ball game.  Do we know if Athens is coming back or did He leave?  He is having a very impressive AAU season so far….like to know His status based on rumors and rumblings on here…..

1 hour ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Totally agree with this on Newport.  Once Harney, Wermuth, and Miller settle in and learn the system and their teammates it could very easily be a totally different ball game.  Do we know if Athens is coming back or did He leave?  He is having a very impressive AAU season so far….like to know His status based on rumors and rumblings on here…..

Huge loss if he isn’t, I didn’t see him in any videos. Him with Harney you could argue would best backcourt for next 3 years. Would be close this year with Newport having Kinney, Jackson and Covington. But Newport will lose all 3 after this year from everything I’m hearing. 

1 minute ago, GoBucks97 said:

Huge loss if he isn’t, I didn’t see him in any videos. Him with Harney you could argue would best backcourt for next 3 years. Would be close this year with Newport having Kinney, Jackson and Covington. But Newport will lose all 3 after this year from everything I’m hearing. 

I have only heard it on here that He is possibly leaving and nowhere else.  Yes, did not see Him in any of the video either, but could just be on vacation or something or maybe soccer related as He is quite the soccer player as well.

Agree completely that if Athens does stay, our back court is scary for the next 3 years….couple that with Bradshaw and you have quite the 3 year nucleus….