2023-24 Covington Catholic Colonels

3 hours ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Totally agree with this on Newport.  Once Harney, Wermuth, and Miller settle in and learn the system and their teammates it could very easily be a totally different ball game.  Do we know if Athens is coming back or did He leave?  He is having a very impressive AAU season so far….like to know His status based on rumors and rumblings on here…..

According to his IG and Twitter 4 days ago, he was playing summer ball for the Colonels. Even captioned it with it’s gonna be a fun year, and I noticed he wasn’t able to make the Newport game. So that’s something else you can take from that scrimmage, Athens will average 15-20 this year. I’ll argue he will be their most talented scorer, while cash runs the show.

5 minutes ago, GoBucks97 said:

According to his IG and Twitter 4 days ago, he was playing summer ball for the colonels. Even captioned it with it’s gonna be a fun year, and I noticed he wasn’t able to make the Newport game. So that’s something else you can take from that scrimmage, Athens will average 15-20 this year. I’ll argue he will be their most talented scorer, while cash runs the show.

All good news and that is a great take on how Athens and Cash will work together.  A 4 headed Sophomore core….fun for a few years.

19 minutes ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

I have only heard it on here that He is possibly leaving and nowhere else.  Yes, did not see Him in any of the video either, but could just be on vacation or something or maybe soccer related as He is quite the soccer player as well.

Agree completely that if Athens does stay, our back court is scary for the next 3 years….couple that with Bradshaw and you have quite the 3 year nucleus….

I think his skill level and talent for putting the ball in the hoop is up there with the best we’ve seen at CCH lately. He’ll be the most talented scorer while cash runs the show, Miller mans down low. Johnson, Bradshaw and some others on the wing. This will be a very talented and orchestrated team when it’s all said and done. With GREAT shot making! Newport prolly will have region this year, but with the Kinney rumors the Colonels will be back on top next year with how young they are.

1 hour ago, GoBucks97 said:

Yeah he is still with the Colonels according to his IG and twitter. Posted at their last set of scrimmages just 4 days ago and said going to be a fun year. I think his skill level and talent for putting the ball in the hoop is up there with the best we’ve seen at CCH lately. He’ll be the most talented scorer while cash runs the show, Miller mans down low. Johnson, Bradshaw and some others on the wing. This will be a very talented and orchestrated team when it’s all said and done. With GREAT shot making! Newport prolly will have region this year, but with the Kinney rumors the Colonels will be back on top next year with how young they are.

Fantastic take here….care to elaborate on those rumors….I am not familiar.  Would not be shocking at all if he went the prep school route or something.

1 hour ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Fantastic take here….care to elaborate on those rumors….I am not familiar.  Would not be shocking at all if he went the prep school route or something.

That’s exactly what I’m hearing. Try to go for a back to back regional championship, then they lose quite a bit. Once they all leave I suspect and am hearing he will take the challenge and go prep. His stepdad has a crap ton of connections, their AAU team is one of the top in the nation. He will have plenty of suitors and it really comes down to how much they want to push the kid. If he really has NBA dreams and you think it can happen you go the prep route!

• Like 1

He'll be back.  

3 hours ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Totally agree with this on Newport.  Once Harney, Wermuth, and Miller settle in and learn the system and their teammates it could very easily be a totally different ball game.  Do we know if Athens is coming back or did he leave?  He is having a very impressive AAU season so far….like to know his status based on rumors and rumblings on here…..

2 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

Huge loss if he isn’t, I didn’t see him in any videos. Him with Harney you could argue would best backcourt for next 3 years. Would be close this year with Newport having Kinney, Jackson and Covington. But Newport will lose all 3 after this year from everything I’m hearing. 

I have only heard it on here that He is possibly leaving and nowhere else.  Yes, did not see him in any of the video either, but could just be on vacation or something or maybe soccer related as he is quite the soccer player as well.

Agree completely that if Athens does stay, our back court is scary for the next 3 years….couple that with Bradshaw and you have quite the 3 year nucleus….

From the Dan Weber article from last week, linked earlier in the thread: 

"[Harney will] compete with junior Evan Pitzer for the starter’s role in football and will give the Colonels a point guard to play along with returning starter Athens McGillis, also a sophomore-to-be."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, UKato91 said:

He'll be back.  

Would be interested to hear why with such conviction? If the kid continues at this trajectory he will become bigger than 9th region and KHSAA ball talent wise. Why not push your son/player and get them to the highest place possible. Look at Jasper Johnson and his situation!

1 hour ago, GoBucks97 said:

Would be interested to hear why with such conviction? If the kid continues at this trajectory he will become bigger than 9th region and KHSAA ball talent wise. Why not push your son/player and get them to the highest place possible. Look at Jasper Johnson and his situation!

Not sure how to answer your question as I am not his parent, and I don't know him well enough.   I only said what I said because he told his friends on the team he would be back.  In my world that's a pretty safe assumption.  Like someone posted on here before, I only heard about him potentially leaving on here and nowhere else.  

1 minute ago, UKato91 said:

Not sure how to answer your question as I am not his parent, and I don't know him well enough.   I only said what I said because he told his friends on the team he would be back.  In my world that's a pretty safe assumption.  Like someone posted on here before, I only heard about him potentially leaving on here and nowhere else.  

I believe UKato91 is referring to Athens coming back to CCH and not Kinney from Newport where GoBucks97 is referring to Kinney from Newport….this should clear this up I think…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

What is the projected starting lineup for CCH?

My best guess is:

PG - Harney

SG - McGillis

SG - Hussey

Fwd - Bradshaw

C - Miller

Hussey can play the point as well very easily and Wermuth becomes one of the best 6th men off the bench….

Again just a best guess going off highlights from the Newport Game….

Any other takes…..

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

My best guess is:

PG - Harney

SG - McGillis

SG - Hussey

Fwd - Bradshaw

C - Miller

Hussey can play the point as well very easily and Wermuth becomes one of the best 6th men off the bench….

Any other takes…..

2 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

My mistake.  I quoted the wrong guy. 

My gosh I did it again, I'm on a roll.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

What is the projected starting lineup for CCH?

I'll give it a stab:

C Miller

Braylon Miller (if he is really coming out for the team)

Harney

McGillis

Hussey

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

My best guess is:

PG - Harney

SG - McGillis

SG - Hussey

Fwd - Bradshaw

C - Miller

Any other takes…..

I agree 100%, the depth pieces are what I’m not super familiar with because not a whole lot of bodies played last year in crucial games. I know Noah Johnson has played in some big ones.