2023 Boyle County Rebels

Rebel

25 minutes ago, TheConch said:

I’d have to say it makes less sense for the two schools to schedule each other in regular season now that they are in the same class, wouldn’t it?

Would love to see this for a title. 

I mixed feelings here but if they both have an open date the same week I think both teams should strongly consider it. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 12:58 PM, TheConch said:

I’d have to say it makes less sense for the two schools to schedule each other in regular season now that they are in the same class, wouldn’t it?

Would love to see this for a title. 

In 6A, St. X, Trinity, and Male play each other in regular season and often meet each other in playoffs so I don't think it's a problem for two contenders to play in regular season.

21 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

In 6A, St. X, Trinity, and Male play each other in regular season and often meet each other in playoffs so I don't think it's a problem for two contenders to play in regular season.

Not when you can give scholarships. If you have 3A enrollment numbers then try it.

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Don’t think it’s a problem, just don’t know the benefit of it. 

Obviously comes down to coaching philosophy, whether they want to see how they match up in regular season and be able to adjust for a second time around in the playoffs or use the regular to continue to improve, and then be able to give the said opponent their best in the playoffs.

I personally would not schedule a team I would see in the playoffs in the regular season, unless it’s a rivalry. 

Play your district schedule, schedule good opponents that will better your team, improve your RPI, and give you best shot at winning it all. And there are plenty of teams that give you a quality opponent without having to play within class out of district, especially a top tier opponent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Down4theblue said:

And wasn’t his dad on Danville’s School Board last year? Shows how the state of affairs are on the other side of the tracks.

They moved into the Boyle County school district, end of conversation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2023 at 7:49 PM, Country said:

Not when you can give scholarships. If you have 3A enrollment numbers then try it.

Plenty of smaller schools play bigger schools with no problems. Central has played Manual and St. X last few years and I know Beechwood plays bigger schools with no problem. I could see where some programs wouldn't want to do it but Boyle County is a big boy program that could handle it.

It is all about numbers. In small schools many of the players must play both ways. You lose a player to injury and you have lost 2 starters. This past year Boyle lost five senior players to season ending injuries. The coaching staff did a tremendous job holding the season together, because they also had some other injuries to key players. You can play Big Boy ball if you have the numbers, but smaller school don't have the luxury of 80 or 90 players on their roster like St. X or Trinity. Coach Haddix did one of the best jobs I have seen by winning the 4A title under those dire circumstances.

When @Country & @Tigerpride94 are having a conversation... best to listen and learn. Lots of wisdom and character there.... both of them! 😃

The Rebels will be very good in 2023 and will absolutely be one of the top contenders to win it all, regardless of who is in 4A. Coach Haddix has done an excellent job leading the Rebels and building on what Coach Chuck Smith built.... which is the best "program build" I have witnessed in my lifetime. 

I am biased because of our friendship, but Boone Goldsmith is doing an incredible job with their frosh/JV program. He is a coaches son and football junkie.  Look for depth at the varsity level to continue to improve.  Boone is absolutely a Varsity head coach caliber guy, running the frosh/JV. Reminds me of having Larry Harris, Graham Heasley and William Harris do so at Mason and Mercer County. That type of leadership and coaching is a huge asset for a HS football program that the average fan doesn't realize or understand. 

Anymore, the frosh/JV coach may be the most important coach in the program. If he does a poor job, there may not be much of a defense or Oline to coach... which are traditionally considered the most important assistant coach positions. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1