Player Reclassification

RetiredFan

Player Reclassification.

As another football year comes to a close, I still look at players that reclassified due to Covid.  I think there should be some type of class that identifies theses players.  Something like an (R) associated with their school year.  Like R-Sophomore, R-Junior and R- Senior.  Knowing this went down into middle school in some districts we will be dealing with this issue for the coming years.  It is misleading to see teams show players in a certain grade when in reality they are a year older than others in the class.  I know not all schools allowed the reclassification.  There is a big difference in a 15-year-old sophomore and a 16-year-old sophomore and so on up the ladder.  The media makes some reclassified players out to be super athletes when in reality they are a year older and more mature. Just food for thought.  Any comments. 

5 minutes ago, RetiredFan said:

Thanks for allowing the topic to at least hit the thread.  I know your feelings.  They do something very similar in college.  Not sure why it would hurt high school players. 

College players are adults that are technically paid for their services and high school players are minors playing for love of the game.  Apples and oranges. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PP1 said:

I thought this was a one shot deal. They either had to do it in the summer of 2020 or they lost their chance.

I wish I would have held my 3rd grader back two years ago. 

It was one shot for high school students. But players who were freshmen in 2020 did it too and they are still in high school.

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

I only wish you could do it all the time, as long as you're not over age then you can hold back. Boys graduating at 17 years old is too young.

My grandson will be a senior next year and won’t turn 18 until June ‘24. I tried to talk him into reclassifying because it would actually align him closer in age with other players his grade, but he had no interest in it. He’s had to compete for spots with kids his same grade but nearly 2 years older the last 2 seasons. He’s more interested in graduating and moving on to bigger better things. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RetiredFan said:

Player Reclassification.

As another football year comes to a close, I still look at players that reclassified due to Covid.  I think there should be some type of class that identifies theses players.  Something like an (R) associated with their school year.  Like R-Sophomore, R-Junior and R- Senior.  Knowing this went down into middle school in some districts we will be dealing with this issue for the coming years.  It is misleading to see teams show players in a certain grade when in reality they are a year older than others in the class.  I know not all schools allowed the reclassification.  There is a big difference in a 15-year-old sophomore and a 16-year-old sophomore and so on up the ladder.  The media makes some reclassified players out to be super athletes when in reality they are a year older and more mature. Just food for thought.  Any comments. 

It was never done for any one that was previously held back before Covid. There have been 19 year olds playing high school Sports forever. And for the most part they have been completely anonymous.  Maybe it is a little different being held back in school, especially for some of the big names that chose this option. But what do you hope to accomplish by assigning these kids a label? As was mentioned earlier, just let it go. 

6 hours ago, RetiredFan said:

Player Reclassification.

I don’t think they make them out to be super athletes.  I’ve never understood the backlash for being 18 all of your senior year, or even 19 during your senior year so long as it’s after the August 1 deadline.  No rules have been broken. 

I’ve never understood the (not you saying this, but the general thought of ) “they should be in a grade older because of their age.”

What about, “they should be in a grade lower because of their age.”? Because when I see or a 17 year old graduating in May of their senior year, heck, even not turning 18 until their senior year of school is halfway over and sometimes not turning 18 until that last month of high school and sometimes on into the following August, September’s that is my immediate thought.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Calico Jack said:

I don’t think they make them out to be super athletes.  I’ve never understood the backlash for being 18 all of your senior year, or even 19 during your senior year so long as it’s after the August 1 deadline.  No rules have been broken. 

I’ve never understood the (not you saying this, but the general thought of ) “they should be in a grade older because of their age.”

What about, “they should be in a grade lower because of their age.”? Because when I see or a 17 year old graduating in May of their senior year, heck, even not turning 18 until their senior year of school is halfway over and sometimes not turning 18 until that last month of high school and sometimes on into the following August, September’s that is my immediate thought.

Try starting college as a 17 year old and being 6 hours away from your parents.
It was not the best situation for me!

Boys most definitely mature later and the extra year (Covid, hold back, whatever) in the end is probably better in the LONG RUN.

• Like 2

Started our son one year late to Kindergarten. When he graduated this May he was a few weeks from his 19th birthday. Had a great senior year of basketball. Good decision athletically, but even more important academically.  My wife is our AD and more than half of our male athletes are “old.”  TN did not grant a Covid year but I wish the TSSAA would have. As long as the participation age is “capped” at nineteen before the school year starts I don’t see a problem.  

17 hours ago, Old General said:

My grandson will be a senior next year and won’t turn 18 until June ‘24. I tried to talk him into reclassifying because it would actually align him closer in age with other players his grade, but he had no interest in it. He’s had to compete for spots with kids his same grade but nearly 2 years older the last 2 seasons. He’s more interested in graduating and moving on to bigger better things. 

As he should be! He gets what it's really about.

• Like 1