Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Player Reclassification

Featured Replies

19 hours ago, PP1 said:

I thought this was a one shot deal. They either had to do it in the summer of 2020 or they lost their chance.

I wish I would have held my 3rd grader back two years ago. 

You still can. As long as it’s done before high school and he meets the age requirements there are no issues. It’s no different than what it was before Covid concerning non high school students.

19 hours ago, Old General said:

My grandson will be a senior next year and won’t turn 18 until June ‘24. I tried to talk him into reclassifying because it would actually align him closer in age with other players his grade, but he had no interest in it. He’s had to compete for spots with kids his same grade but nearly 2 years older the last 2 seasons. He’s more interested in graduating and moving on to bigger better things. 

Sounds like a young man with a plan. Good for him and best wishes.

I have an October birthday.  When I was in school you were not allowed to start kindergarten unless you were 5 before October 1st.  I was never remotely close to having to repeat a grade level.  I was a 16 year old sophomore.  No one was yelling about that. 

My son has an October birthday, he was in the same situation.  He was so big, I did have to carry his birth certificate with me when he was playing little league sports.  But, other than that, no issue. 

My point, there are a lot of 16 year sophomores.  And a lot 18 year seniors.  If a kid is graduating high school younger than that, it's not everyone else's fault. 

On 12/11/2022 at 2:12 PM, 9068 said:

As he should be! He gets what it's really about.

 

23 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Sounds like a young man with a plan. Good for him and best wishes.

Thanks! I shouldn’t have said “I tried to talk him into reclassifying” I should’ve said we discussed it. As far as football goes I’ve always offered advice but it’s his passion and his decision to make. I’d never try to push him into something his heart wasn’t into. He’s also an AP student so another year of high school wouldn’t offer any/many advantages to him scholastically, and that’s what it’s really about anyway. I will say he’s never used his age as an excuse either. He got his 1st varsity start at QB as a 14 year old freshman and played his entire sophomore season at RB and QB as 15 year old sophomore. 

On 12/10/2022 at 5:29 PM, theguru said:

Sure I have a comment, I think it is time to let it go and move on from it.  We all know plenty of players repeat a grade for various reasons and there is no need to label anyone. 

Count me in on the time to move forward.  I admit to feeling a very certain way very strongly about this at first, but it is time to roll on.  
 

Too much stellar competition and great players coming up in the ranks over the next few years and beyond.  Time to enjoy those players and the memories and feelings they will be bringing our way.  
 

Re-directing my field of view back to the field and let them play it out. 
 

Go Colonels!

There have been 19 year old kids playing high school sports for as long as I can remember. Rather they start school late, or get held back in middle school I see no difference. Families make the best choice for their child. As the gentleman stated above some kids have no interest, and rather move forward in life. Rather that is college, trade school ,or work force and nothing is wrong with that. Others wanted the extra year, and nothing is wrong with that. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.