Highlands vs. Scott County Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2022 at 12:00 AM

46 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I think this will be a very high scoring game. If Highlands Blitzes a lot like they like to do, they will play right into Scott County’s hand.   Scott County is going to score and put up points. With that said I do think Highlands can score on Scott County too. If Highlands can avoid turning the ball over, they should have a chance at the end. 

Early Prediction for me though is Scott County wins 42 to 31. 

I agree with you blitzing can hurt you against the Scott Co offense. Just contain the outside. You gotta have assignments and stick to your job. That helps against the carried out fakes. 

• Like 1

I don't know where the option and offensive question marks came from, but Scott County runs the Wing T, a very common offense.  Heck, Urban Myers ran a version of it at Florida with Tim Tebow.  It originated as a variation of the Single Wing offense created by Pop Warner.  Interesting fact:  it was started at Delaware, the winged helmet preceded the offense, but makes a nice addition.  And, yes, Delaware had the winged helmet before Michigan, as did Princeton. 

As for the question at hand, I think Highlands wins in a close one. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ram said:

I don't know where the option and offensive question marks came from, but Scott County runs the Wing T, a very common offense.  Heck, Urban Myers ran a version of it at Florida with Tim Tebow.  It originated as a variation of the Single Wing offense created by Pop Warner.  Interesting fact:  it was started at Delaware, the winged helmet preceded the offense, but makes a nice addition.  And, yes, Delaware had the winged helmet before Michigan, as did Princeton. 

So how do you run the wing t and the guy that is your leading passer is 14th on the team in rushing yards?

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So how do you run the wing t and the guy that is your leading passer is 14th on the team in rushing yards?

You can't confuse the offense with the system.  For example, I played on a team that ran the Wishbone.  So, many would automatically think we ran the triple option, but I think we ran the triple option maybe three times in four years.  We ran a spread formation, with unbalanced line from the wishbone formation but was an off-tackle team.  The offense, the formation and the system are three different things.  

Just like Urban Myers ran a spread formation, the Wing T offense, but a system that benefited the team and enhanced the talent he had.  

11 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Are any of Scott Co running backs power FB type dudes? To beat a typical speed centric highlands defense you have to have that guy. Also just looking at the stats, their pass game doesn’t scare me too bad. Should be a close game I think. 

To answer your question absolutely. The fullback is a bruiser. The passing game shouldn’t fear anyone because that’s not what they do. 

Just a very tough offense to find the ball. 

• Like 1

Like others have said Scott Co is not an option team and never have been under their current staff. 

Scott Co version of the wing-t is different than your typical wing-t. They are open side based which is unusual. They are Belly based so the offense revolves around Belly. You’re going to see Belly, quick pitch, belly sweep, power to the TE/Wing side. They typically also run tackle trap but haven’t much this year. If HHS runs an odd you’ll get a based block version of trap too. You’ll get some shots off of playaction. They have run a little jet and jet action this year but it’s a very small amount. 

Some where in the first 4-8 plays you’re going to get something different. It might be a shift, PAP or run play that you haven’t seen before. 

Scott Co is extremely good at carrying out their fakes with speed. They come off the ball very quickly. They can go from huddle to snap very quickly. The run plays hit at a faster tempo than many teams are used to. With so many teams being gun based being under center all the time on defense is a little bit different animal. Scott Co keys on offense are also different than your typical wing-t team. They have never been big on running the QB in their system. 

Pray for whoever has to run scout team O this week because it will be the worse week of the season and one of the most frustrating weeks of their coaching career. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, barrel said:

Like others have said Scott Co is not an option team and never have been under their current staff. 

Scott Co version of the wing-t is different than your typical wing-t. They are open side based which is unusual. They are Belly based so the offense revolves around Belly. You’re going to see Belly, quick pitch, belly sweep, power to the TE/Wing side. They typically also run tackle trap but haven’t much this year. If HHS runs an odd you’ll get a based block version of trap too. You’ll get some shots off of playaction. They have run a little jet and jet action this year but it’s a very small amount. 

Some where in the first 4-8 plays you’re going to get something different. It might be a shift, PAP or run play that you haven’t seen before. 

Scott Co is extremely good at carrying out their fakes with speed. They come off the ball very quickly. They can go from huddle to snap very quickly. The run plays hit at a faster tempo than many teams are used to. With so many teams being gun based being under center all the time on defense is a little bit different animal. Scott Co keys on offense are also different than your typical wing-t team. They have never been big on running the QB in their system. 

Pray for whoever has to run scout team O this week because it will be the worse week of the season and one of the most frustrating weeks of their coaching career. 

When I played in the 90s we would face some sort of “option” team 3 to 5 times a year. I am using the word option liberally. Where there were multiple fakes carried out and such is what I mean by option. Isn’t the answer just don’t blitz, contain the outside, stay at home, and do your job? As long as you’re not completely physically outmatched you should be in the game with that. 

Best thing about playing an offense that runs stuff like this is if you get up 2 scores in the second half the game is over. 

In general most people would consider option where you are reading an unblocked defender. Different animal and takes a different approach. 

Scott Co isn’t trying to get outside on teams. They want to run Belly over and over again. Depending on how you you try to take that away will determine what they call. If you try to bring an extra defender presnap to the open side they come back with Power. If the TE/Wing backers are flowing to stop Belly you get tackle trap. If you tighten down on the open side you get quick pitch or you get flat wing motion and they keep running Belly.  If you try to fold inside to stop belly you get belly sweep. 

Belly will look like ISO to many but it can bend back almost like a zone play.  Down two scores isn’t the end of the world. Getting down three and things get tougher.  The big thing is getting them behind the chains. That’s tough against them unless they get a penalty or there is a mishap some place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ram said:

I’m from Delaware and grew up playing in and defending the wing T. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

When I played in the 90s we would face some sort of “option” team 3 to 5 times a year. I am using the word option liberally. Where there were multiple fakes carried out and such is what I mean by option. Isn’t the answer just don’t blitz, contain the outside, stay at home, and do your job? As long as you’re not completely physically outmatched you should be in the game with that. 

Best thing about playing an offense that runs stuff like this is if you get up 2 scores in the second half the game is over. 

In theory, you are correct.  The initial plan is to play a gap control defense.  Everyone goes to their gap and makes sure the ball doesn't come there and if a player runs in that gap, you tackle them no matter if they have the ball or not.  But, for most defenses, that is not enough to stop a team that has practiced their offense every day for multiple years.  

When a Belly, triple option, Wing T, Double Wing team is not successful from their base blocking, they are built to adapt and change the blocking angles.  You will start to see traps knocking defenders out of their gaps, you will see double teams at the point of attack to overpower defenders.  And, then there is the demoralizing, rarely seen pop pass that goes for 65 yards because the defense has stacked to box to control all the gaps.  

Teams that are good at these types of offense, and Scott County is good at it, will lull you to sleep with their two yard gains, and 1 yard gains, then get five for the first down, and do it all over again, then a pass or sweep catches you off-guard.  

7 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I’m from Delaware and grew up playing in and defending the wing T. 

Teams that play against it, know it better.  The big problem comes when you are playing a Wing T team and have not played one all season.  

• Like 1

Scott Co is almost exclusively 100/900 which is the formation commonly associated with the offense. They do vary it a little but it’s probably less than 10%. So you end up with 9 gaps to defend while they are technically still balanced. As soon as you add a lead blocker, a puller, leave a guy unblocked (quick pitch and jet) or a combination of those you get out gapped. Add in the fakes and you can get out gapped really fast. That doesn’t get into how your coverage fits with all of that. 

Defensively they aren’t complicated but they are good. It might be one of the better defenses across the board that they’ve had in 4+ years. Safety play is better and the front 7 is solid. If HHS can attack the safeties that is a good starting point. Scott Co doesn’t bring a lot of pressure typically and they get under routes well. Historically if either you have a very good running QB or can attack the safeties you can have success. Past that you typically need to just be better player for player. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, barrel said:

Scott Co is almost exclusively 100/900 which is the formation commonly associated with the offense. They do vary it a little but it’s probably less than 10%. So you end up with 9 gaps to defend while they are technically still balanced. As soon as you add a lead blocker, a puller, leave a guy unblocked (quick pitch and jet) or a combination of those you get out gapped. Add in the fakes and you can get out gapped really fast. That doesn’t get into how your coverage fits with all of that. 

Defensively they aren’t complicated but they are good. It might be one of the better defenses across the board that they’ve had in 4+ years. Safety play is better and the front 7 is solid. If HHS can attack the safeties that is a good starting point. Scott Co doesn’t bring a lot of pressure typically and they get under routes well. Historically if either you have a very good running QB or can attack the safeties you can have success. Past that you typically need to just be better player for player. 

From a fan of the game perspective, I really respect what McKee does.  He coaches HIS offense and defense very well and puts the players in a position to be successful.  And, from a football purest perspective, his offense is mesmerizing. 

• Like 4