Highlands vs. Scott County Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2022 at 12:00 AM

29 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

Can anyone post film on Scott County’s offense? 

Here's a look at QB Andrew Hickey and the passing game. No one's going to confuse it for an air raid offense, but it's a little more sophisticated than what a wing-t passing game used to look like.

This is the running game against Franklin County. They'll mix in some quick hitters with some deception/pre-snap motion. Hickey runs the offense beautifully, especially for a sophomore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA – Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ram said:

Teams that play against it, know it better.  The big problem comes when you are playing a Wing T team and have not played one all season.  

It's a difficult offense to defend because it is so versatile and many of the steps defenses take to take away certain plays, open up other plays in each series that look almost exactly like the play your are trying to stop. Not to mention that it can absolutely destroy defenses that are undisciplined and play go hard to flow. Defense has to read and trust their keys. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

It's a difficult offense to defend because it is so versatile and many of the steps defenses take to take away certain plays, open up other plays in each series. Not to mention that it can absolutely destroy defenses that are undisciplined and play go hard to flow. Defense have to read and trust their keys. 

I agree, one mis-step and it's a big play.  

Watching a great offense run the Wing-T, Single Wing or Double Wing is amazing to me. 

I met a coach one time that was a huge Single Wing guy.  The Single Wing is basically the same motion every play, it's just a matter of handing to the first back, the second back, the QB keeping it, or an occasional pass.  Same action, every time.  He had the basic playbook, the one play, tattooed on his thigh.  He said he did it so, he could use that tattoo instead of having to draw plays up on a clipboard.  I loved it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, El Diablo said:

So how do you run the wing t and the guy that is your leading passer is 14th on the team in rushing yards?

Because the wing t doesn't need a mobile quarterback to run it. There are plays that are designed for QB runs, but they aren't a hallmark of that offense. Playing football in Delaware in the 80's, we would play against wing t teams in over half our games. The only running quarterback I can remember was Reds first base coach Delino Deshields, who was just an unbelievable athlete, who didn't play football after his junior year. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Because the wing t doesn't need a mobile quarterback to run it. There are plays that are designed for QB runs, but they aren't a hallmark of that offense. Playing football in Delaware in the 80's, we would play against wing t teams in over half our games. The only running quarterback I can remember was Reds first base coach Delino Deshields, who was just an unbelievable athlete, who didn't play football after his junior year. 

That's the beauty of systems involved in the Wing-T, Single Wing, Double Wing and the Wishbone, it adapts to the players you have, or the players you don't have. 

In theory, every offense should do that. 

11 hours ago, Ram said:

Teams that play against it, know it better.  The big problem comes when you are playing a Wing T team and have not played one all season.  

BINGO! And that's why I said they likely make a run to Kroger Field. The fact that these kids today are so used to scheming against the spread, when this wing T shows up, and you only have a week to prepare for it... It's rough. 

Let alone the fact that Coach McKee is a veteran coach that has a wealth of pigskin knowledge. The speed that they run those bellys with, will wear a team down and what the true issue is, as your defense is doing their best to get a stop, BOOM they get another first down. Before you know it, its been 11-13  game minutes that your offense has been on the sidelines, getting cold and the opposite of loose. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ram said:

That's the beauty of systems involved in the Wing-T, Single Wing, Double Wing and the Wishbone, it adapts to the players you have, or the players you don't have. 

My sophomore year we had the number receiver in the state, and the next two years we had a top 3 RB who played D1 football, and only threw the ball 8 or 10 times a game. Deshield's team had a TE that ended up playing at West Virginia and for the Patriots. You can throw and be very successful in that offense. Yes it is primarily a running attack, and traditionally built around a big fullbacks (and not the traditional fullback most people picture), but you have to defend multiple threats every single play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

BINGO! And that's why I said they likely make a run to Kroger Field. The fact that these kids today are so used to scheming against the spread, when this wing T shows up, and you only have a week to prepare for it... It's rough. 

Let alone the fact that Coach McKee is a veteran coach that has a wealth of pigskin knowledge. The speed that they run those bellys with, will wear a team down and what the true issue is, as your defense is doing their best to get a stop, BOOM they get another first down. Before you know it, its been 11-13  game minutes that your offense has been on the sidelines, getting cold and the opposite of loose. 

Yep, that's his game plan.  Don't let you substitute and not give your coaches time to make adjustments.  Many teams, and I'm sure Highlands does this, have a base defense they automatically line up in when they didn't get time to signal in a new scheme.  McKee will catch you in that defense and exploit it.  I'm sure he loves that part. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

But, you all have probably played against an adapted Wing-T or two this year.  Some coaches change the formation some, but run the offense.  There aren't many new offenses out there, they just change the Double Wing or the Wing-T some but the philosophy is the same.  

But, I will give you the fact that McKee's Wing-T is unique. 

4 minutes ago, Ram said:

But, you all have probably played against an adapted Wing-T or two this year.  Some coaches change the formation some, but run the offense.  There aren't many new offenses out there, they just change the Double Wing or the Wing-T some but the philosophy is the same.  

But, I will give you the fact that McKee's Wing-T is unique. 

Are you saying Douglass? Or KY high school teams in general play a Wing T every so often? 

1 minute ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Are you saying Douglass? Or KY high school teams in general play a Wing T every so often? 

But, I'm sure Douglas has played some altered Wing-T teams too. lol