Bellevue season over? (Confirmed)

TRPride

On 10/12/2022 at 7:44 AM, Purple88 said:

I was told that the City of Bellevue is an area of one (1) square mile.  Is that true?  If it is, would seem to be a very small pond to field a football team from.  Not trying to kick them while they are down, as I certainly hope they can turn it around.  But this may be one of the issues.

Small area that has also changed a bit over the years.  There has actually been a decent amount of interest for folks in their 20's and 30's to move towards the river cities of NKY lately.  Only problem is, a lot of those moving in are single, married with no kids or married with very young kids.  Like folks have mentioned before, it's a numbers game.  

With that said, does anyone know if those independent school districts would ever consolidate?  If not completely, perhaps in large team sports like football?

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:30 AM, FirstTimeLongTime said:

This is true. Bellevue has become a hot spot for young professionals. The issue is when they begin having families, they either move or they send their kids to private schools in Ohio, NCC or pay tuition at Highlands. 

I know it has been discussed and there would be hurdles but I would love to see Bellevue and Dayton combine. Maybe even add in Newport. 

I posted before realizing you had all mentioned the same thing I did earlier.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

With that said, does anyone know if those independent school districts would ever consolidate?  If not completely, perhaps in large team sports like football?

You can't consolidate for a single sport. No co-op teams in Kentucky. Would have to be all or nothing.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:24 AM, Breds82 said:

How many boys does Bellevue have enrolled in the school? I'd imagine Dayton has around the same amount of boys in school there, yet haven't had this issue as Bellevue has had the past few years.

I have heard that people who have kids and the resources that live in Bellevue are not sending them to school there, and a lot of people move in to the city with no intention of starting families as well. 

Worked at BHS from 1975-98. We always lost kids from the community to parochrial education. Our greatest teams were when the kids from St. Anthony and Sacred Heart decided to cast their lot with us. When I retired in 1998 the community had changed, and when my wife retired in 2011 the school and community had changed even more. I know the numbers have dropped significantly. When I came there in 1975 we were well over 400 kids in the HS which made us a big Class A school. Remember calling guys I coached with previously and telling them I couldn't believe the caliber of athlete and students, male and female, we had. My time there was special. Great kids, teachers, coaches, administration, and community. When I went to parochrial education in 1998(5 month job went 12 1/2 years lol) I was amazed at the similarities.

• Like 1

Any word on if Ludlow or Newport Catholic will be able to schedule a new game?

Being so close to the river I wonder if they would be allowed to schedule with a team in Ohio. If my memory serves correct, doesn't Ohio's playoffs start a week earlier than KY. Could they schedule a game with a team who doesn't make the OH playoffs?

7 minutes ago, InsideSlant said:

Any word on if Ludlow or Newport Catholic will be able to schedule a new game?

Being so close to the river I wonder if they would be allowed to schedule with a team in Ohio. If my memory serves correct, doesn't Ohio's playoffs start a week earlier than KY. Could they schedule a game with a team who doesn't make the OH playoffs?

I can't imagine Ludlow will be able to get anything for this weekend. I know Coach Lickert posted an opening for Newport Catholic next weekend on the Listserv, but the options are limited. I believe only Middlesboro has only nine games scheduled and is open next weekend.

7 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I can't imagine Ludlow will be able to get anything for this weekend. I know Coach Lickert posted an opening for Newport Catholic next weekend on the Listserv, but the options are limited. I believe only Middlesboro has only nine games scheduled and is open next weekend.

Middlesboro game would be a good pickup for New Cath. That is a game they should win and it would be a boost to their RPI.

2 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

When is the last time Bellevue or Dayton was competitive in any sport?  More than 2 sports?

Any sport?   Bellevue has had some really strong baseball teams in the past 10 years.  Went through a run where they were the only team in the district that could give Highlands a game.   Bellevue was the legit two seed for a few years in that district.  I will always remember the district seeding game at Highland Park in 2016 where the Bluebirds who went on to win the region defeated Bellevue 1 - 0 in 9 innings.  

I heard about this today and more about it during my girls cheerleading practice a little earlier. I’m sad for Bellevue for this and this is something I’d never wish on any high school or other sports programs. 

I spoke to a parent earlier during my kids practice from Bellevue who’s a good source. He told me that there’s currently under 600 students from 6th-12th grade, with 6th being in the high school now. Even though that’s a small number, I would think there’s at least a little more of a pool to have players come out. 

I do know that many people moving into Bellevue now and not as long before are coming without kids or have kids past school age. Either way, hopefully this changes for them sooner than later.

8 hours ago, hrcarrier said:

I heard about this today and more about it during my girls cheerleading practice a little earlier. I’m sad for Bellevue for this and this is something I’d never wish on any high school or other sports programs. 

I spoke to a parent earlier during my kids practice from Bellevue who’s a good source. He told me that there’s currently under 600 students from 6th-12th grade, with 6th being in the high school now. Even though that’s a small number, I would think there’s at least a little more of a pool to have players come out. 

I do know that many people moving into Bellevue now and not as long before are coming without kids or have kids past school age. Either way, hopefully this changes for them sooner than later.

The enrollment number at the Middle/High School is actually 362.  And remember, that is grades 6 through 12.  There are only 640 kids in the ENTIRE school District.  Now I don't say that as an excuse or as a negative, it's just that there has been so much false and incomplete information (both innocently and by some with other agendas) spread about this situation.  Despite the clear problems this decision has caused for many involved parties, it was absolutely the correct decision for the kids at Bellevue.  Nobody involved in the decision process, and it WAS a process, was happy with the outcome, but it WAS the correct decision.  It will be a tough road back to regain where the program once was, but you can be certain that the people involved with Bellevue athletics are committed to pursuing that goal.  The consolidation issue is one for the administrations of those districts to wrangle.  Right here, right now, the aim is to re-establish a proud and historically strong program.  Whatever and however long it takes.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cincyswords said:

Any sport?   Bellevue has had some really strong baseball teams in the past 10 years.  Went through a run where they were the only team in the district that could give Highlands a game.   Bellevue was the legit two seed for a few years in that district.  I will always remember the district seeding game at Highland Park in 2016 where the Bluebirds who went on to win the region defeated Bellevue 1 - 0 in 9 innings.  

I don't know about "strong". They haven't had a winning season in the last 10 years. They did make region in 2014, which was their best year, and finished 15-16 on the season, and got run ruled in the district final, and shut out in the first round of region. In 2016, the year you mentioned, they were 12-17. If I remember correctly, from 2014-2016 they had one really nice pitcher (whose name I can't remember), and they were competitive in games he pitched, but not very good in games he wasn't on the mound. In the last 10 years, 5 of those seasons they've had 10 or less wins, and 7 of those seasons have been 12 or less. NewCath and Highlands have easily been the top two teams in that district.

10 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I don't know about "strong". They haven't had a winning season in the last 10 years. They did make region in 2014, which was their best year, and finished 15-16 on the season, and got run ruled in the district final, and shut out in the first round of region. In 2016, the year you mentioned, they were 12-17. If I remember correctly, from 2014-2016 they had one really nice pitcher (whose name I can't remember), and they were competitive in games he pitched, but not very good in games he wasn't on the mound. In the last 10 years, 5 of those seasons they've had 10 or less wins, and 7 of those seasons have been 12 or less. NewCath and Highlands have easily been the top two teams in that district.

Pitcher was Briley Seiter.  I understand your point, mine I think was more that they have had a very competitive baseball team not that many years ago.  Now the last few years have not been so good for baseball either I agree.

18 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

Pitcher was Briley Seiter.  I understand your point, mine I think was more that they have had a very competitive baseball team not that many years ago.  Now the last few years have not been so good for baseball either I agree.

Didn’t he throw spitballs or something?

• Haha 1