Notre Dame...an embarrassment to the BCS....

RockPride

Boise State played 13 games that mattered none. Every game matters if you start the season in the top ten, but outside of the top tier "name" schools, you aren't playing for a national championship. Had Rutgers ran the house in the Big East they wouldn't have been in the National Championship.

Playing devil's advocate here, these teams HAVE to schedule tough games out of conference to have a chance (assuming they are not in a power conference). Go check how many meaningful/impressive road wins Boise State had this season. Go look at who Rutgers defeated besides conference foes.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boise State played 13 games that mattered none. Every game matters if you start the season in the top ten, but outside of the top tier "name" schools, you aren't playing for a national championship. Had Rutgers ran the house in the Big East they wouldn't have been in the National Championship.

The BCS is sometimes criticized because teams with undefeated records (like Boise this year or Tulane in 1998) sometimes get passed over for a spot in the NC game by teams with a loss. But I don't think its reasonable to reward teams that have gone undefeated against relatively soft schedules just because they are undefeated. I don't think you can fault the system for passing you over if your schedule doesn't include teams that could be considered credible tests for the best team in the country. Why create an incentive for programs to load up on a schedule full of gimme games just so they can finish undefeated? With respect to the BCS this year, while I respect Boise State's bowl performance, it took all they had to defeat an Oklahoma team that clearly wasn't among the best 2-3 teams in the land. Other than the fact that they were undefeated against a moderately challenging schedule, what qualifications do they have to play for a national championship?

Playing devil's advocate here, these teams HAVE to schedule tough games out of conference to have a chance (assuming they are not in a power conference). Go check how many meaningful/impressive road wins Boise State had this season. Go look at who Rutgers defeated besides conference foes.

The schedules are done in advance. U of L had a "weak" schedule but when they signed up to play Miami the U was VERY good. The schedules are made in advance. EVERY team at the beginning of the year should have a chance to win it all, and some should not be eliminated before they even snap the ball.

The BCS is a crock. Politics come into play in the voting part of it and there is reason to believe that the two teams playing in the "national championship" may not be the best two teams.

At least in a playoff, teams would have earned their spot in the title game.

Except of course for those teams not invited to the playoff and I am certain that Politics would not come into play in inviting 8, 12 or 16 teams to the playoffs.:rolleyes:

The schedules are done in advance. U of L had a "weak" schedule but when they signed up to play Miami the U was VERY good. The schedules are made in advance. EVERY team at the beginning of the year should have a chance to win it all, and some should not be eliminated before they even snap the ball.
They are made in advance, but that logic is somewhat flawed, however. I give kudos to UL for scheduling; nobody knew the teams they scheduled at the time would be as bad... even if they were bad, Miami and Kansas State are in a BCS conference.

Boise on the other hand had a decent home OOC game against Oregon State, and others against Sacramento State and Wyoming. Something tells me when they scheduled these two teams, they knew they were not going to be all that good.

The reason we need a playoff is because before the season even starts less than half of the 119 D-1 schools have a true chance to win the NC in 2007.

The same is true for basketball as well. The format simply allows more teams to have delusions of a championship.

The same is true for basketball as well. The format simply allows more teams to have delusions of a championship.

No it isn't even close to true. Win your conference (or win most regular season games) and you can make the tournament. The winner is the winner. The underdog is HUGE in college basketball and it's not even given a chance in football.

No it isn't even close to true. Win your conference (or win most regular season games) and you can make the tournament. The winner is the winner. The underdog is HUGE in college basketball and it's not even given a chance in football.

If you want to believe that the winner of the Big Sky or MEAC conferences really has a chance to win a national championship due to an automatic berth, go ahead. But I won't drink that kool-aid.

If you want to believe that the winner of the Big Sky or MEAC conferences really has a chance to win a national championship due to an automatic berth, go ahead. But I won't drink that kool-aid.

They don't have a chance because they don't get the talent that bigger schools do. However, in college football they might as well not be eligible for the NCAA Championship. In basketball they create their own destiny. You play until you lose.