January 4, 200719 yr Their usually soft schedule isn't exactly indicative of a "top" program. If Charlie can't do any better than his forerunners at getting better athletes into South Bend and scheduling a tougher schedule instead of loading up on cream puffs, they won't return to national prominence. Sometimes people's hatred keeps them from being accurate. ND played a tougher schedule than Ohio State. Sagarin: ND-20, OSU-40, http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm NCAA: ND-41, OSU 42, http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Inte...games_cumm.pdf Massey has ND better as well. ND at 19th toughest, OSU at 31st. Guess who else is below ND in SOS... 29 LSU 31 Auburn 33 Oklahoma 36 Louisville 41 Arkansas 42 WVU 48 Texas 50 Rutgers 100 Boise St. Guess Charlie should "load up on" more creampuffs, huh?:lol:
January 4, 200719 yr Who would you have put in over Notre Dame? Remember no one from the SEC or Big Ten can go, so that eliminates Arkansas, Auburn and Wisconsin. Looks like it's between WVU, Rutgers, Texas, Georgia Tech or California. Who did you think was more deserving? Your question wasn't for me but for the ones you listed I would say any of them. Texas, Rutgers or WVU were all certainly better.
January 4, 200719 yr Sometimes people's hatred keeps them from being accurate. ND played a tougher schedule than Ohio State. My comments on N.D. were not out of hatred at all. Now I have question ......Are you trying to say that N.D. was better or even belonged on the same field with Ohio State this season?
January 4, 200719 yr With all due respect to OSU, I think LSU is without a doubt the best team in America. They just had the tough luck of playing in the brutal SEC and playing two of the best teams on the road in which they barely lost. The AU game was even contraversial. LSU just has way too many weapons on offense for most teams to stop. Basically the only way they are going to be stopped is if they don't come focused and playing a good D. Russell is the best QB in the country and the Tiger receivers are endless. Teams have one or two solid corners/safeties but how can you lock down everyone. If you key on Bowl and Doucet, you will get burnt by Lafell and Buster Davis. If you bring the heat, it's a screen to Vincent, Broussard, Charles Scott, Keiland Williams, Holiday, or Hester. No team has the defense to shut down the LSU offense and that includes Ohio State.
January 4, 200719 yr N.D. has lost 9 straight bowl games. At least they have got a record in that. The Irish now hold the record for the most consecutive bowl losses. Last time they won a bowl game was in 94' under Lou Holtz.
January 4, 200719 yr Notre Dame's schedule isn't a bunch of cream puffs ... USC and Michigan ... enough said. Penn State won their bowl game. Georgia Tech was a quality opponent. Michigan State was down this year, but is exactly the type of program the Irish need to be playing year-in and year-out. The same is also true for Purdue and UCLA. Stanford and North Carolina were bad, but both are major-conference programs that have had good teams in the past. Considering that college football schedules are often made 6-8 years in advance, there is nothing wrong with those teams being on the schedule. As for the service academies ... they are longstanding rivalries and I don't have a problem with Notre Dame playing them. Heck, virtually every big-time program has one or two MAC, Sun Belt, WAC or I-AA teams on the schedule. The service academies are, at the very least, equivalent to those.
January 4, 200719 yr With all due respect to OSU, I think LSU is without a doubt the best team in America. They just had the tough luck of playing in the brutal SEC and playing two of the best teams on the road in which they barely lost. The AU game was even contraversial. LSU just has way too many weapons on offense for most teams to stop. Basically the only way they are going to be stopped is if they don't come focused and playing a good D. Russell is the best QB in the country and the Tiger receivers are endless. Teams have one or two solid corners/safeties but how can you lock down everyone. If you key on Bowl and Doucet, you will get burnt by Lafell and Buster Davis. If you bring the heat, it's a screen to Vincent, Broussard, Charles Scott, Keiland Williams, Holiday, or Hester. No team has the defense to shut down the LSU offense and that includes Ohio State. I can agree with your assesment of LSU but not that they were / are better than Ohio State this season. I do believe that they would have been the best team at this time to play the Buckeyes for the national title but the fact is they lost to Florida. That is the same thing as Michigan, they were the only team to really test Ohio State this season but they lost to the Buckeyes. this is a N.D. thread so I won't go on any more, just wanted to answer your post. (and imo Russell is the 2nd bst QB in the country:D ).
January 4, 200719 yr Your question wasn't for me but for the ones you listed I would say any of them. Texas, Rutgers or WVU were all certainly better. You are entitled to your opinion, but a loss to Kansas State, blowout to Cincy and loss to USF at home may have swayed some.
January 4, 200719 yr My comments on N.D. were not out of hatred at all. Now I have question ......Are you trying to say that N.D. was better or even belonged on the same field with Ohio State this season? Nope, just that their schedule was tougher. Take a look at the "creampuff" comment.
January 4, 200719 yr Quinn and Notre Dame the two biggest overrated things whe it comes to college sportsd today. :thumb: :thumb:
January 4, 200719 yr Nope, just that their schedule was tougher. Take a look at the "creampuff" comment. :thumb: I respect you opinions also CR. I will say that the schedules are made up w/ contracts signed years in advance in most cases. The players have no contol over who they play. They just go out and in OSU's case this season WIN every game. No one else beside Boise State can say that this season. (and I am not trying to say that Boise should be in the NC game). N.D. has a long history of playing the service acadamies. That has been a long standing tradition there. It does hurt their schedule but they have lost to teams that are good to mediocre. I didn't mean to slam you at all, just stating my opinion as you were yours.:thumb:
January 4, 200719 yr I'd have a hard time ranking ND ahead of UK in a poll. At least UK can claim good wins over Clemson and Georgia with a tough loss to Florida.
January 4, 200719 yr Sorry CR but defending ND isn't very popular today. I was amazed at how slow they were. Two suggestions for Charlie. First get yourself a DC. Their defense was one of the worse I've seen LSU play this season. I really believe with that D they would be a middle of the pack SEC team. That brings me to my next suggestion, play somebody. Get out of the mid-west and play some southern teams with speed. Tom Osborne finally broke the mold and sent his staff down to FSU to learn about the benefits of speed. Two years later he won a couple national titles. All in all I was glad to see pompous Charlie the little Tuna get his extra large rear kicked. As to your BCS question, maybe ND gets in but maybe they should have been sent down to the Orange to play #15 Wake and allowed #5 (or was it #6) Louisville to play #4 LSU. Seems more fair to me. I would have loved to have seen LSU smack UofL down almost as much. LSU, you'd have had a stroke from being so mentally distraught at having to cheer against Brian. Don't kid yourself. :lol:
January 4, 200719 yr LSU, you'd have had a stroke from being so mentally distraught at having to cheer against Brian. Don't kid yourself. :lol: Sorry RM but some things run deep. I would tell Brian that I would hope he played a great game... but lose.
January 4, 200719 yr N.D. has a long history of playing the service acadamies. That has been a long standing tradition there. It does hurt their schedule but they have lost to teams that are good to mediocre. Huh?:confused: Last year ND lost to #3 OSU, #2 USC and MSU. MSU is the only "bad loss." This year ND lost to #2/3 USC, #3/4 LSU and #6/7 Michigan. Since Weis has been at ND, where are the losses to teams that are "good to mediocre?" Once again, I think people need to do a little more research before they bash ND.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.