Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Notre Dame...an embarrassment to the BCS....

Featured Replies

When are you referring to? Notre Dame didn't accept any bowl bids for the majority of their existence. Off the top of my head I have no idea why.

 

 

Notre Dame's policy for the longest time was that a Bowl game took the kids away from studies and the mentality of the time was that the regular season was the champion and Bowls were a reward for good play during the season. It wasn't until the 60's that the AP polls began having a post bowl Top 10 (20) and UPI kept crowning only a regular season champ until around '71 or so.

 

Notre Dame returned to bowls in the season of '69 when money and matchup were too great to overcome. Theisman led the Irish against undefeated and #1 Texas in the Cotton Bowl of Jan. 1, 1970. The Horns went for it on 4th down late and posted a 21-17 comeback win for the National Title. The next year ND (with Theisman back) upset #1 Texas 24-11 and from then on ND understood the power of the bowls. :lol:

  • Replies 147
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notre Dame is over-rated every year they play. Sometimes they over achieve and live up to but most of the time they don't especially in recent history. Wies is way to cocky it will not be long until he wears out his welcome at ND. He uses the old "me" and I button alot here lately.

You are entitled to your opinion, but a loss to Kansas State, blowout to Cincy and loss to USF at home may have swayed some.

I get your point but... all three are bowl teams.

Once again, the claim was made that Notre Dame

 

 

Hopefully, we can all agree that is not true.

 

 

ND wasn't "beat-down" by MSU, USC or OSU last year. They lost to MSU and USC on a last second plays and Ohio State scored on a 60 yard run on 3rd and 5 with a 1:46 to go in the game to make it a two touchdown game.

 

This year all three losses were "beat-downs."

 

 

Here's what we'll do: I'll bet you a cajun dinner for four at a local eatery that ND plays in National Title game before LSU does. If ND is in such disarray that should be a no brainer, right???

 

You're on. No way would I pass up the chance (no matter how slight) to see you pick up the tab at dinner. I also agree I wasn't clear. The "beat-down" comment was mostly about this season. They actually played USC as tough as anybody but Texas last year. I disagree with the OSU game. You can stack the scores up all you want but if you recall watching that game it was never in doubt. OSU was bigger,faster and stronger. They manhandled the Irish. I hate to use cliche's but it "wasn't as close as the score". FYI, it may be sometime before either of us have a chance to buy that dinner. How about a similar bet on the 6A championship next year? I'll take the Rocks.:thumb:

I get your point but... all three are bowl teams.

as well as 61 other teams. Nothing like playing in the vaunted Sun Bowl, long-heralded International Bowl in Canada and well established PapaJohns.com Bowl. "Better Teams. Better Bowls." :lol:

Does the best team always win the NCAA title in basketball?

No.

I like the BCS.

For the simple fact it means every single game during the season means something.

LSU had their chances but unfortunately stopped themselves at both Auburn and Florida.

 

 

WOW!!!! You like that 90% of college teams DON'T have a chance year in a year out? What if Rutgers had went undefeated? There would have been 2 teams with no chance of sniffing the title yet won every game they played. What's the motivation for Boise State? How can they recruit the best when going undefeated got them next to no recognition until the very end of the season.

You're on. No way would I pass up the chance (no matter how slight) to see you pick up the tab at dinner. I also agree I wasn't clear. The "beat-down" comment was mostly about this season. They actually played USC as tough as anybody but Texas last year. I disagree with the OSU game. You can stack the scores up all you want but if you recall watching that game it was never in doubt. OSU was bigger,faster and stronger. They manhandled the Irish. I hate to use cliche's but it "wasn't as close as the score". FYI, it may be sometime before either of us have a chance to buy that dinner. How about a similar bet on the 6A championship next year? I'll take the Rocks.:thumb:

I've got the bet logged, double crawfish etouffe for me please.

 

That's very "Elder Pantherish" of you to not go by the score.

 

No thanks on the 6A bet. I think we do agree on that.

 

That's very "Elder Pantherish" of you to not go by the score.

 

Well, we are talking about a team from Ohio.:sssh:

:thumb: Good post. Most of Charlie's recruits haven't seen the field yet. Next year will be tough, but starting in 2008 the Irish should have the athletes on the field to compete with anyone. Not the case this year.

:thumb: I will give Weis the benifit of the doubt just bc of those reasons. Right now I beleve that he is a very good "O" coordinator for the nfl. ND imo HAS to get a defense and recruit speed all over on both sides of the ball.

Does the best team always win the NCAA title in basketball?

No.

I like the BCS.

For the simple fact it means every single game during the season means something.

LSU had their chances but unfortunately stopped themselves at both Auburn and Florida.

Preach on brother. I like the BCS for the exact same reason you state.

 

The OSU-Michigan game had meaning beyond the rivalry. I probably would not have watched the game except that to me it was a playoff game. The winner had a shot at the national championship game, the loser should not.

 

I heard in the regular season that the ratings (and the $$$ that the ratings bring in) for regular season college football has never been higher.

 

For the casual fan as I am, the first OSU-Michigan game wouldn't have meant as much knowing that a 2nd game was likely.

 

You think Louisville, Rutgers, gets the attention nationwide during the regular season that they did if they are getting into a playoff system regardless of how their game turned out.

  • Author
I sure there is some truth to your statement. Football is the ultimate cash cow for a university. Do these universities really need the NCAA? If forced they could simply form their own sanctioning body and depledge from the NCAA fraternity.

they need the NCAA for the other sports.

as well as 61 other teams. Nothing like playing in the vaunted Sun Bowl, long-heralded International Bowl in Canada and well established PapaJohns.com Bowl. "Better Teams. Better Bowls." :lol:

Now THAT's funny!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Preach on brother. I like the BCS for the exact same reason you state.

The OSU-Michigan game had meaning beyond the rivalry. I probably would not have watched the game except that to me it was a playoff game. The winner had a shot at the national championship game, the loser should not.

 

I heard in the regular season that the ratings (and the $$$ that the ratings bring in) for regular season college football has never been higher.

 

For the casual fan as I am, the first OSU-Michigan game wouldn't have meant as much knowing that a 2nd game was likely.

 

You think Louisville, Rutgers, gets the attention nationwide during the regular season that they did if they are getting into a playoff system regardless of how their game turned out.

 

 

Boise State played 13 games that mattered none. Every game matters if you start the season in the top ten, but outside of the top tier "name" schools, you aren't playing for a national championship. Had Rutgers ran the house in the Big East they wouldn't have been in the National Championship.

Boise State played 13 games that mattered none. Every game matters if you start the season in the top ten, but outside of the top tier "name" schools, you aren't playing for a national championship. Had Rutgers ran the house in the Big East they wouldn't have been in the National Championship.

I am not sure the bolded is true.

 

I would say that the Boise State fans are happy with the results of their season and what might end up being a #2 ranking.

 

Also, no guarantee that in an 8-team playoff, Boise State gets in. Only in a 12 or 16 team tournament do they actually get in.

The BCS is a crock. Politics come into play in the voting part of it and there is reason to believe that the two teams playing in the "national championship" may not be the best two teams.

 

At least in a playoff, teams would have earned their spot in the title game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.