Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Notre Dame...an embarrassment to the BCS....

Featured Replies

Why not do away with the BCS, and simply have a committee, like in the NCAA basketball tournament, pick the best 16 teams in the country at the end of the season for the playoff.

Choose various bowls for the playoff games, and still allow the other bowls to have their games. I know that it would be a little controversial as far as who is left out, but that's always the case with March Madness too.

I have few doubts that in a field of 16 you will have one team that is truly #1 in the nation. The controversial #17 couldn't win the NC anyway.

Heck, you could possibly have 6 or 7 teams from one conference in the field of 16, but what does it matter. You're getting the best teams in the country to PROVE ON THE FIELD that the are undisputably NUMBER ONE.

 

Does the best team always win the NCAA title in basketball?

No.

I like the BCS.

For the simple fact it means every single game during the season means something.

LSU had their chances but unfortunately stopped themselves at both Auburn and Florida.

  • Replies 147
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This pretty much somes up my thoughts which I made in another post...

 

 

 

The reason it is an embarrassment is because it points out a major flaw in the BCS. It is not Notre Dame's fault they are not that good yet are INVITED to a major bowl. I am a merit guy, and with the exception of the title game, these bowls ARE NOT made to pair up the most deserving teams. I think a lot of people fail to realize that. The BCS got exactly what it wanted and it worked out perfectly: tons of viewership.

 

 

Another good post. :thumb: The powers that be with the BCS were not embarrased by Notre Dame, they were once again enriched by Notre Dame. That is all the BCS cares about.

 

Boise St. proved that they were deserving on their BCS bowl appearance, but does anyone really think that they have a snowball's chance in you know where of being invited if the new agreement didn't guarantee it.

If ND doesn't fake the punt they might have taken a lead into half time. Defensively they couldn't do a thing to stop the LSU recievers, but I thought they were the victim of bad coaching a few times. They were on the 40 with 40 seconds left and ran the ball to end the first half. Why?????? That fake punt call was one of the worst play calls I've ever seen. However, the guy who made the tackle should have been blocked. The blocker made the poorest attempt at blocking that I've ever seen.

 

Won't argue with you on the fake punt. I was really annoyed with the call. Weis on occasion has let his arrogance get in the way of sound playcalling.

94' Cotton Bowl..... Unbelievable. However, this happens because ND is such a draw that they get invited where they don't belong.

 

I'll still argue that they belong, as long as the BCS remains what we all know that it is. It's not about deciding who is the best team in college football as much as it about lining the pockets of the teams within six conferences.

 

Making money is the one thing that Notre Dame football can do well.

Didn't Notre Dame turn down a bowl game a few years back?

 

When are you referring to? Notre Dame didn't accept any bowl bids for the majority of their existence. Off the top of my head I have no idea why.

Not sure why everyone is suddenly all over Weis...it's only his second year and he's done a pretty good job if you ask me. For starters, Notre Dame has been better since he got there. They aren't exactly oozing talent currently...does Weis not get the benefit of a little time to improve the talent at ND and then see how they do?

 

He couldn't work a miracle, but give him a couple more recruiting classes to boost the talent there and Notre Dame will be deserving of BCS bowls and they will be able to compete better with the elite teams.

 

I can understand why people get irritated with Notre Dame getting the call when they probably aren't as deserving football-wise, but there is no point in letting that cloud your opinion on the job Weis has done and is doing.

 

:thumb: Couldn't have said it better myself. Weis took over a Notre Dame program that was in the basement. 19-6 in two years isn't so bad. I think they will be 8-4 or 7-5 next season, but from that point they should be pretty solid.

Your question wasn't for me but for the ones you listed I would say any of them. Texas, Rutgers or WVU were all certainly better.

 

I give you Texas, but SUNJ and WVU aren't going to generate the revenue that ND would for the BCS. Lets not lose sight of their true agenda.

And at Tennessee.

 

That your arguement for UK over Notre Dame, close loss to UT. ND beat UT by 20 last year. And won at UT two years ago.

If Russell decides to come back, you may want to rethink that, the Tigers are in a better position to play for one than the Choking Irish.....

 

 

I do agree that Notre Dame does have a solid schedule, however, they need to schedule teams such as Florida, LSU, Auburn, Florida State, Miami, etc. As someone else mentioned earlier, teams with speed kill the Irish.

 

If Russell comes back next year he is crazy. I don't see how his draft status could get any higher even if he were to win a NC next season. I haven't really seen him play until last night, but I wouldn't have put him as a top 3 QB prior to that game. But WOW! I'd take him first. He could probably sleepwalk through the combines.

If Russell comes back next year he is crazy. I don't see how his draft status could get any higher even if he were to win a NC next season. I haven't really seen him play until last night, but I wouldn't have put him as a top 3 QB prior to that game. But WOW! I'd take him first. He could probably sleepwalk through the combines.

 

I agree. There is no conceivable reason for Russell to come back, but if he does come back, Look Out! LSU would be preseason top 2-3 and have a great shot at the NC.

Exactly...:thumb:

 

I have still never followed the logic that a playoff solves everything. I guess it has been beat into our minds that is the only way to crown a champion.

 

BTW, I am for the +1 idea, and that is it. I do not care what you say, the regular season would somewhat be diminished if there were a multi-team playoff.

 

I like the +1 as well, but even then I don't think it wold solve everything. Prior to the Bowls a +1 would have likely been OSU/UF vs. USC/UM. However, with what we have seen so far I would want to see LSU get a shot.

Well the money makers, and shakers are of the big conferences, I am sure the NCAA is scared of some sort of revolt if they were to mess with them...ala the government and big money oil for us normal folk.

 

I sure there is some truth to your statement. Football is the ultimate cash cow for a university. Do these universities really need the NCAA? If forced they could simply form their own sanctioning body and depledge from the NCAA fraternity.

See, I don't think so. No matter who gets in as the 16 seed, there's going to be team #17 who thinks they should have gotten in. This puts emphasis on the regular season to ensure you're one of those top 16.

 

Its still diminished. The country wouldn't have the same passion to argue between 16 / 17 as they do 2 /3. Take Hoops, the selection show plays lip service to some of the teams that get snubed, but after 24 hours its over.

 

People still argue about Auburn back in 2003, etc.

 

No one is talking about March Madness being tainted last year cause some Big East teams bubble burst in favor of a mid major.

This was a pretty good thread lots of interesting points and conversation. But it appears that I am now talking to myself for the most part. Too bad my laptop crashed at the start of the week.

Another good post. :thumb: The powers that be with the BCS were not embarrased by Notre Dame, they were once again enriched by Notre Dame. That is all the BCS cares about.

Boise St. proved that they were deserving on their BCS bowl appearance, but does anyone really think that they have a snowball's chance in you know where of being invited if the new agreement didn't guarantee it.

 

One of the most sensible quotes on this entire thread.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.