Doyel says Cards are done for a long time...

RockPride

MIAMI -- It doesn't get better than this for Louisville, and before you get all warm and mushy, Louisville fans, understand the danger in that statement.

It doesn't get better than this. It can't. It won't.

Louisville finished off the best season in school history Tuesday night, beating Wake Forest 24-13 in the Orange Bowl. The Cardinals have a school-record 12 wins, a school-first BCS bowl victory and a program-best national ranking that will be somewhere in the top five when the final polls are released next week..........

Orange Bowl win likely squeezes out Cards' aces

My take? Funny to read, he doesn't mention the master, Tom Jurich, he says that Harry is gone, though he is a junior and isn't going anywhere. He forgets that Mario already said he is coming back... Louisville may lose the Derby City Duo, but they will be sniffing the top Ten for years to come.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!! Doyel obviously hasn't been paying much attention to UofL's recruiting classes the past few years either. UofL may very well lose everyone he mentions, but they'll still be a program that will continue to rise IMO.

WOW!!!! Doyel obviously hasn't been paying much attention to UofL's recruiting classes the past few years either. UofL may very well lose everyone he mentions, but they'll still be a program that will continue to rise IMO.

There isn't much room to rise. I do agree that a decline is unlikely.

The writer ignores recent history. Louisville was very successful in 2004 with what was largely a completely different cast of characters. Stefan LeFors, Eric Shelton, Robert McCune, Elvis Dumervil, J.R. Russell and Joshua Tinch were all gone by 2006 and it didn't matter. The Cards reloaded. The result was a 12-1 record and a BCS bowl win. Will the Cards drop off if Bush and Brohm go to the NFL? Sure. It will be hard to match this year's performance without them, especially given next season's difficult road schedule. But I don't expect them to fall off a cliff either.

http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9904129

MIAMI -- It doesn't get better than this for Louisville, and before you get all warm and mushy, Louisville fans, understand the danger in that statement.

It doesn't get better than this. It can't. It won't.

Is it just me or is this a horribly presumptuous article from someone who has little to no insight of Louisville football what-so-ever? As a fan of good sports writing I can't believe he is still writing for CBS because he has been doing this for years. As a Louisville fan, I just kind of want to slap the guy.:irked:

I don't think I've read his articles before... is he always this clueless?

"Who were you chanting ['one more year'] at? Everybody, near as I could tell."

Get some new glasses, buddy. Or maybe read a Louisville message board, or talk to a Louisville fan, or find Louisville on the map... I doubt he's done any.

The writer ignores recent history. Louisville was very successful in 2004 with what was largely a completely different cast of characters. Stefan LeFors, Eric Shelton, Robert McCune, Elvis Dumervil, J.R. Russell and Joshua Tinch were all gone by 2006 and it didn't matter. The Cards reloaded. The result was a 12-1 record and a BCS bowl win. Will the Cards drop off if Bush and Brohm go to the NFL? Sure. It will be hard to match this year's performance without them, especially given next season's difficult road schedule. But I don't expect them to fall off a cliff either.

I think he also forgot Uof L:

1. Didn't have their STUD running back this year because of a broken leg in the first game of the season.

2. They lost their Heisman Candidate QB for 3+ games (the plus is only because he wasn't 100% when he did come back).

3. I'm forgetting the big defensive players name who UofL lost to nearly the same injury as Bush in the 2nd or 3rd game.

4. And 3 days before the Orange Bowl they lost Gaven(sp) Smart.

UofL is not only capable of reloading year in and year out; they can reload mid-season as good as any body in the NCAA. This year proved that! So what makes this buffoon think UofL can't recover given 8 months and a strong recruiting class to do it?

:irked: