C - Boots Smallwood

3rd team

G - Brandon Tolliver

G - Lynn Rhymer

G - Darryl Day

F - Jeff Osborne

C - Garry Henson

HDE,

While I like your first two teams, I somehow think that Rhymer should be included a bit higher than 3rd team.... I mean if anything change him and Huff positions... I also think that by placing Osborne and Henson on the 3rd team was to "over rated". I saw these two play and henson could be in the top 100 or even 50 to play there but certainly neither should be in the top 15 all time at Cawood. I think we are forgetting a few "honorable" mentions like the ones that surrounded Hearld on that talented team and possibly a few that played some years ago.... but I did enjoy your list....

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HDE,

While I like your first two teams, I somehow think that Rhymer should be included a bit higher than 3rd team.... I mean if anything change him and Huff positions... I also think that by placing Osborne and Henson on the 3rd team was to "over rated". I saw these two play and henson could be in the top 100 or even 50 to play there but certainly neither should be in the top 15 all time at Cawood. I think we are forgetting a few "honorable" mentions like the ones that surrounded Hearld on that talented team and possibly a few that played some years ago.... but I did enjoy your list....

One Cawood player that may have been overlooked by HDE is Allen Vaughn. Allen was a co-star the 76 team that went all the way to the regional finals before losing a close one to Clay Co. Before the 76 team, JACHS was considered a sure win on every team's schedule. I don't think JACHS had ever gotten out of the district until 76.

I think Nick's brother Tony Sanford was a pretty good one that deserves to be mentioned. I think Eads as a second teamer may be a bit too high.

Anyone that would truly think that Vanhoose is better than any of the five I listed previously on here is either (A) a relative or (B) someone who does not know their basketball history. By the way, I would not knock someone else's IQ before re-evaluating your own first.

Maybe it would be a more rational argument and settle the IQ debate if you listed all the Russell players who have made first team all state and received

a d-1 scholarship. Seems like that criteria would eliminate most of the "personal" opinion

I don't think its a long list

Obviously, I'm biased with the one selection that was criticized. I think the numbers are awfully solid, not to mention he was best known for defense and rebounding, and the teams were pretty good in 86 and 87.

Eads was a four-year starter and played on two regional runner-up teams.

I hate to see good devils fighting:jump: :jump: No seriously Russell has such a wonderful tradition no one is wrong on this I played against Mark and Jon W. the way they played is different then the way Vanhoose plays.Alot of the players today would have problems in the 70's and 80's because of the physical play the refs let them get away with now. There was no hand checking back then and no 3 pointers. I guess what I am saying is Russell save all of your emotions for the up coming basketball season because there are no top 5. Remember the glory of yesteryear

Scott County

G - Rick Jones

G - Michael Richardson

G - AW Hamilton

F - Scott Hundley

F - Frank Persley

Subs - Casey Alsop, Jamie Pierat, Jared Carter, Tyler Hicks, Bud Mackey, Matt Walls, Rodney Haddix, Tim Glenn, Ukari Figgs

Can't argue with that one, but here is my starting five.

G-Matt Walls

G-AW Hamilton

G-Rick Jones

F-Frank Persley

F-Scott Hundley

Subs-Ukari Figgs, Michael Richardson, Casey Alsop, Coy Zerhusen, Bud Mackey, Carl Collins (could flat jump out of the gym), Randy Mann, Bam Harris, Toby Harris, Jared Carter

For Cawood, I think if you are going to list guys like Peanut and Tolliver, you have to mention Muncy in there as well. He was the backbone of that team while they were there. Also hard to leave off big Jay Howard. He didnt exactly do everything he could have done, but he was still pretty good from what I remember.

Can't argue with that one, but here is my starting five.

G-Matt Walls

G-AW Hamilton

G-Rick Jones

F-Frank Persley

F-Scott Hundley

Subs-Ukari Figgs, Michael Richardson, Casey Alsop, Coy Zerhusen, Bud Mackey, Carl Collins (could flat jump out of the gym), Randy Mann, Bam Harris, Toby Harris, Jared Carter

???

For Cawood, I think if you are going to list guys like Peanut and Tolliver, you have to mention Muncy in there as well. He was the backbone of that team while they were there. Also hard to leave off big Jay Howard. He didnt exactly do everything he could have done, but he was still pretty good from what I remember.

Muncy and Howard both had one very good season. Muncy played only two seasons at Cawood. Scott Bailey was the next best guy in that early 2000s group as a three-year starter. You could make a very good case for him on the third team.

Maybe it would be a more rational argument and settle the IQ debate if you listed all the Russell players who have made first team all state and received

a d-1 scholarship. Seems like that criteria would eliminate most of the "personal" opinion

I don't think its a long list

I fully agree Shooter. I would have a hard time leaving Jon VanHoose and Rick Hensley off any Russell team.

Like I said, that is my list for Russell and I am very, very comfortable with it. The 16th Region is much weaker than it was during the time of the players that I listed and in that day and age someone who will turn 20 soon after graduating from high school was far from the normal event that it is today and I will submit that someone that age has a decided advantage physically and emotionally over someone 15 or 16 years old. If you don't like my list or reasoning then simply submit your own but I don't know who you would knock off my list to add Howell, Hensley or Vanhoose. Jones went to UK, Roberts was considered one of the very best in the state, Mark Watkins was an incredible player on a very balanced team, Ryan Watkins shot nearly 60 percent from the floor and played with the, at that time, leading point producer in Russell history and still finished in the top two or three and Synstricker (may have spelled that wrong) scored just under 1000 points IN ONE SEASON at Russell. Like I said, I feel my list for Russell is very good and since I did not go to school there or have any children there it is also very unbiased as well.