Beechwood vs. Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Beechwood vs. Mayfield   

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

This has not been talked about enough - the trenches. It always, always starts at the line of scrimmage. For Beechwood, they almost always have the skill players to compete with anyone. They win championships when they get the size and talent at the line of scrimmage. This Beechwood line is really good. It is anchored by 6'5" 295 pound WKU D1 tackle Luke Slusher. Slusher at right tackle versus Mayfield's DE Starks is one of the biggest matchups in the game. Beechwood's other tackle is certainly on his way to college football as well. Sophomore Xavier Campbell  plays LT and DE. He has been among the sacks leaders in the state all season.

Beechwood is athletic at the line of scrimmage. They will rotate the defensive line to keep players fresh and play matchups. They can go big with Slusher and Torin O'Shea at DT or they can go with smaller speed players Bryce Shepherd and Colby Vanderpool. I have seen every defensive lineman chase down opposing QB's. Sacks are hard to come by against Mayfield, even with QB's who aren't runners. Mayfield uses bubble screens, slants and quick passes to get the ball out fast before the rush gets there. Even on their long passes the ball is usually out fast, throwing high arcing passes and letting their speed receivers run to the ball. It will be tough for Beechwood's rush to get to the QB. 

Watch the line play in the first two offensive series for each team. If either team can establish an advantage at the line early, it will be trouble for their opponent. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

This has not been talked about enough - the trenches. It always, always starts at the line of scrimmage. For Beechwood, they almost always have the skill players to compete with anyone. They win championships when they get the size and talent at the line of scrimmage. This Beechwood line is really good. It is anchored by 6'5" 295 pound WKU D1 tackle Luke Slusher. Slusher at right tackle versus Mayfield's DE Starks is one of the biggest matchups in the game. Beechwood's other tackle is certainly on his way to college football as well. Sophomore Xavier Campbell  plays LT and DE. He has been among the sacks leaders in the state all season.

Beechwood is athletic at the line of scrimmage. They will rotate the defensive line to keep players fresh and play matchups. They can go big with Slusher and Torin O'Shea at DT or they can go with smaller speed players Bryce Shepherd and Colby Vanderpool. I have seen every defensive lineman chase down opposing QB's. Sacks are hard to come by against Mayfield, even with QB's who aren't runners. Mayfield uses bubble screens, slants and quick passes to get the ball out fast before the rush gets there. Even on their long passes the ball is usually out fast, throwing high arcing passes and letting their speed receivers run to the ball. It will be tough for Beechwood's rush to get to the QB. 

Watch the line play in the first two offensive series for each team. If either team can establish an advantage at the line early, it will be trouble for their opponent. 

I agree with your take on this and have given have given this alot of arm chair thoughts this week.  Mayfield's line play is well above average but I think this is one of the areas that Beechwood has the advantage.  But we will hav to see if its a stalemate or difference maker.  I think Mayfield's coaching staff advantage may also be a factor, its proven to be so time and time again in the past.

It’s GameDay and I just want to wish both teams luck the best of luck today. A matchup like this has been expected all year and I am certain it will live up to the hype. While Mayfield has owned this game forever this year for Beechwood has been nothing short of dominant. I truly believe we will get #1 vs #2 in the Championship game so Beechwood will win this one. 

Beechwood 28

Mayfield 21

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toothpick said:

I agree with your take on this and have given have given this alot of arm chair thoughts this week.  Mayfield's line play is well above average but I think this is one of the areas that Beechwood has the advantage.  But we will hav to see if its a stalemate or difference maker.  I think Mayfield's coaching staff advantage may also be a factor, its proven to be so time and time again in the past.

Beechwood’s coaching staff isn’t no slouch my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The intensity and tone for the tigers starts on the line. If you see the D-Line firing on all cylinders from the first snap, typically good things follow. Looking for the D-Line to step up tonight more so than ever. Xavier Campbell is a force at DE and I expect him to make a big play tonight. The kids are prepared. I’m excited! Safe travels to all making their way up to Ft. Mitchell. I advise all to try a cheeseburger at the game too. Second to none! 

• Like 2