Beechwood vs. Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Beechwood vs. Mayfield   

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

It is here. The long awaited, much anticipated game that has been talked about since mid-season has arrived. The Beechwood Tigers and Mayfield Cardinals each did their part rolling to playoff wins to set up another epic playoff battle. Mayfield is an anomaly on Beechwood's football resume. Despite a record of success and 15 state championships, Beechwood has never beaten Mayfield. The Cardinals are 8-0 against the Tigers with all those games being playoff losses for the Tigers. I am sure there will be schedule discussion in this thread but the Tigers won the KHSAA RPI battle and will be hosting the Cardinals in Ft. Mitchell the day after Thanksgiving. 

As we look at these two teams we will see they are very much alike. Both teams have defenses that are ranked right at the top in the state. Both teams have balanced, productive offenses. The strength of schedule is almost identical. Both teams have star players who are playmakers with D1 scholarship offers. Both teams have great coaching staffs who have won multiple state championships. Let's get this off the table right now. Anyone who is expecting a blowout win by one team or the other needs to set that wild thought to the side. Beechwood may be the favorite in some people's eyes, but the above facts and Mayfield's 8-0 record against the Tigers should bring those thoughts back to reality. This game is a one TD game on paper.

Mayfield enters this game with a 12-1 record. That one loss to rival Murray forced the Cardinals to make the almost 5 hour drive to Ft. Mitchell. Mayfield is led by RB Kylan Galbreath who recently picked up an offer from D1 Murray. Galbreath is an elusive and fast back who will break tackles despite his smaller size. Galbreath is such a good athlete that Coach Morris has moved him to the defensive side also at linebacker. Galbreath has over 1,400 yards rushing with 22 TD's, averaging 8.8 yards per carry. Galbreath also has caught 10 passes for 184 yards and 3 scores. The passing side of the Cardinals offense is just as productive. QB Zane Cartwright has over 2,000 yards passing completing 68.4% of his passes with 21 TD's. Perhaps the most impressive stat is Cartwright has thrown only 1 interception. Other players to watch for Mayfield are up and coming sophomore Jutarious Starks, who is a playmaker at RB and DE, with 7.5 sacks; WR Daniel Coles with 656 yards, 8 TD's averaging 20.5 yards per catch; WR Isaac Stevenson with 561 yards, 8 TD's, averaging 15.6 yards per catch; LB Nathan Watkins leads the defense with 76 tackles.

Beechwood enters the game undefeated at 13-0. Beechwood is led by QB Cameron Hergott, who is a dual threat QB holding a D1 offer from Eastern Kentucky. Hergott is #2 in the entire state in completion percent, completing 70.8% of his passes for over 2,200 yards, 29 TD's and only 3 interceptions. As impressive as that is, it is only half the story on Hergott. As a rusher, Hergott is #6 in yards in 2A, just behind Mayfield's Galbraeth, and averages an eye popping 11.4 yards per carry, which ranks #3 in 2A. Hergott's 21 rushing TD's put him over 50 TD's combined rushing and passing. Beechwood lost their starting RB Avery Courtney to injury in the playoffs. That moved WR Mitchell Berger into the starting RB role. As a back, Berger is explosive and will run through tacklers as often as around them. Berger averages 7.5 yards per carry and has 7 rushing TD's. Before adding more time at RB, Berger was one of the Tigers' top receivers with 25 catches, 541 yards and 7 TD's. Berger also starts at linebacker and is one of Beechwood's top defensive playmakers. Beechwood's leading WR is Parker Mason, #2 in 2A with 25.5 yards per catch on 22 receptions. Making all this offensive production happen is D1 WKU commit Luke Slusher, a 6'5" 295 pound offensive tackle who will also work into the Tigers defensive line rotation. Like Mayfield's Starks, Beechwood has their own force at DE in sophomore Xavier Campbell. Campbell has been among the sacks leaders in 2A all season and sits at 11 sacks on the season. 

The stage is set. This playoff rivalry between two of the top programs in the entire state adds another chapter this Friday. Can the Tigers finally break through and get that first win over Mayfield? Or will the Cardinals once again find a way to shatter the title hopes for Beechwood?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

It is here. The long awaited, much anticipated game that has been talked about since mid-season has arrived. The Beechwood Tigers and Mayfield Cardinals each did their part rolling to playoff wins to set up another epic playoff battle. Mayfield is an anomaly on Beechwood's football resume. Despite a record of success and 15 state championships, Beechwood has never beaten Mayfield. The Cardinals are 8-0 against the Tigers with all those games being playoff losses for the Tigers. I am sure there will be schedule discussion in this thread but the Tigers won the KHSAA RPI battle and will be hosting the Cardinals in Ft. Mitchell the day after Thanksgiving. 

As we look at these two teams we will see they are very much alike. Both teams have defenses that are ranked right at the top in the state. Both teams have balanced, productive offenses. The strength of schedule is almost identical. Both teams have star players who are playmakers with D1 scholarship offers. Both teams have great coaching staffs who have won multiple state championships. Let's get this off the table right now. Anyone who is expecting a blowout win by one team or the other needs to set that wild thought to the side. Beechwood may be the favorite in some people's eyes, but the above facts and Mayfield's 8-0 record against the Tigers should bring those thoughts back to reality. This game is a one TD game on paper.

Mayfield enters this game with a 12-1 record. That one loss to rival Murray forced the Cardinals to make the almost 5 hour drive to Ft. Mitchell. Mayfield is led by RB Kylan Galbreath who recently picked up an offer from D1 Murray. Galbreath is an elusive and fast back who will break tackles despite his smaller size. Galbreath is such a good athlete that Coach Morris has moved him to the defensive side also at linebacker. Galbreath has over 1,400 yards rushing with 22 TD's, averaging 8.8 yards per carry. Galbreath also has caught 10 passes for 184 yards and 3 scores. The passing side of the Cardinals offense is just as productive. QB Zane Cartwright has over 2,000 yards passing completing 68.4% of his passes with 21 TD's. Perhaps the most impressive stat is Cartwright has thrown only 1 interception. Other players to watch for Mayfield are up and coming sophomore Jutarious Starks, who is a playmaker at RB and DE, with 7.5 sacks; WR Daniel Coles with 656 yards, 8 TD's averaging 20.5 yards per catch; WR Isaac Stevenson with 561 yards, 8 TD's, averaging 15.6 yards per catch; LB Nathan Watkins leads the defense with 76 tackles.

Beechwood enters the game undefeated at 13-0. Beechwood is led by QB Cameron Hergott, who is a dual threat QB holding a D1 offer from Eastern Kentucky. Hergott is #2 in the entire state in completion percent, completing 70.8% of his passes for over 2,200 yards, 29 TD's and only 3 interceptions. As impressive as that is, it is only half the story on Hergott. As a rusher, Hergott is #6 in yards in 2A, just behind Mayfield's Galbraeth, and averages an eye popping 11.4 yards per carry, which ranks #3 in 2A. Hergott's 21 rushing TD's put him over 50 TD's combined rushing and passing. Beechwood lost their starting RB Avery Courtney to injury in the playoffs. That moved WR Mitchell Berger into the starting RB role. As a back, Berger is explosive and will run through tacklers as often as around them. Berger averages 7.5 yards per carry and has 7 rushing TD's. Before adding more time at RB, Berger was one of the Tigers' top receivers with 25 catches, 541 yards and 7 TD's. Berger also starts at linebacker and is one of Beechwood's top defensive playmakers. Beechwood's leading WR is Parker Mason, #2 in 2A with 25.5 yards per catch on 22 receptions. Making all this offensive production happen is D1 WKU commit Luke Slusher, a 6'5" 295 pound offensive tackle who will also work into the Tigers defensive line rotation. Like Mayfield's Starks, Beechwood has their own force at DE in sophomore Xavier Campbell. Campbell has been among the sacks leaders in 2A all season and sits at 11 sacks on the season. 

The stage is set. This playoff rivalry between two of the top programs in the entire state adds another chapter this Friday. Can the Tigers finally break through and get that first win over Mayfield? Or will the Cardinals once again find a way to shatter the title hopes for Beechwood?

VOR all BGP members who follow HS Football owe you a huge thanks for your work on providing us game previews.  The work that goes into these is VERY MUCH appreciated.  You save us all so much time in researching teams in big games.  I personally have benefited with my own broadcasts.  This is an amazing summary of, as you said, the most anticipated matchup in the playoffs.  You're really great at this.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Can both teams lose?

That kind of did happen once in this series. In 2011, Mayfield beat Beechwood 19-14 in a game with a controversial ending. That game was such a hard fought game both teams suffered big injuries to key players. Beechwood's QB was knocked out of the game forcing Beechwood to go to a wildcat style offense in the second half. Mayfield lost a key lineman to a broken leg and their stud RB Jonathon Jackson was injured. Jackson tried to play through the injury next week in the title game but he clearly was not himself. Bottom line. Mayfield beat Beechwood but lost the state title the next week to Hazard 24-6. I think the injuries and the Beechwood game were a big factor in Mayfield losing that title game.

I am so excited for this game. Since the beginning of the year these 2 teams have been on a collision course for one another. I wish I wasn’t travel to Vegas that day or I would attend in person. I will be wearing my red all day and make sure to listen or watch which ever is available. It’s so hard to pick this type of game because there are no common opponents to judge by and the distance between the two make knowing the teams they play ever tougher. I see Beechwood having the edge but Mayfield always scares me because they just find a way to figure the Tigers out and get the win. I will pick a score later in the week. I am just so excited this Tiger team gets the opportunity to end the streak. I know Cam Hergott wants to avenge the 2019 loss at Mayfield in the Semifinal. 

• Like 1

We have paid the rights fees to the KHSAA and will be broadcasting this game on Red Helmet Video. Anyone can go to our “ Red Helmet Video” facebook page and watch it there.

Can the Cardinals pull the upset? Not sure, but it will be interesting to watch. Great respect for Beechwood…I will be honest, I love going up there and beating them on their own field. How long to kickoff? 😁 GBR!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This game concerns me, Mayfield will face a team that will beat you many ways , run,pass,defensively and special teams.

The request and answer to this  is like the old game show quote,”Will the real Mayfield please stand up”, with that being said, if the Mayfield vs Murray part 1 2021 team shows  up or anything close to it Beechwood takes it by a minimum of 3 touchdowns, if the real Mayfield shows up I will say it will be a close game, I wish I could make it but I can’t due to a previous commitment, but I always thought the Beechwood fans were a class act whenever they would visit us. Safe travels to all and Happy Holidays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, GBR said:

We have paid the rights fees to the KHSAA and will be broadcasting this game on Red Helmet Video. Anyone can go to our “ Red Helmet Video” facebook page and watch it there.

Can the Cardinals pull the upset? Not sure, but it will be interesting to watch. Great respect for Beechwood…I will be honest, I love going up there and beating them on their own field. How long to kickoff? 😁 GBR!

Ballpark figure, what do the rights cost?

It depends on whether you are willing to be a link for the KHSAA (less expensive) or you want it all to yourself (much more expensive)… cost goes up as you go deeper into the playoffs. The regional final last nite cost 400ish. Its more exspensive than I thought it would be.

• Thanks 1