Johnson Central Head Coach Jim Matney

Sadly, as I read through this post over the weekend, I knew this is how it would end. I did not know him, but some of the things I’ve read really painted a picture of what I missed out on. Best of wishes to his family, and Rest In Peace, sir.

• Like 1

It's hard to find the words to do the man (not the coach, but the man) justice. The passage of time is almost a necessity to truly appreciate one's impact on the world around them.

This is an immeasurable loss to the Johnson Central community. I didn't know him personally, but there were certain aspects of who Jim Matney was that stood out. 

He was a builder. He never seemed interested in piggybacking off the greats that came before him. He got his first head coaching gig at Sheldon Clark (now Martin County) in 1984, the program's fourth year of existence. There were some trying times in the early going, but he was given the opportunity to grow the football (and wrestling) programs as he, himself, grew as a coach, leader, and man. By the early 90s, the Cardinals had morphed into a team you didn't intentionally schedule on homecoming. Only Male gave the immortal 1998 Highlands Bluebirds a closer game than Matney's squad did in the 3A semifinals that year. 

Most people who frequent this site are familiar with the current incarnation of Johnson Central football. But what about the state of the program when Matney left Inez for Paintsville? The Golden Eagles were a reclamation project after going 5-24 in the three years prior to his arrival. Matney promptly won seven games his first year at the helm and never looked back. If you'd told a JC fan in 2004 that they would beat Covington Catholic in the playoffs three years in a row by 2010, they'd probably assume you were from way out of town, like, I don't know…. Johnson Central? But give that person just one opportunity to listen to one of Matney's impassioned speeches (some might even say, sermons) to his football team, and they'd instantly be converted to a believer.

Again, the man was a builder. He wasn't going to be handed the keys to an exotic sports car. Jim Matney was going to pour all of his blood, sweat, and tears into rebuilding and restoring what most folks wouldn't take a second glance at. But if you bothered to take a third glance, you'd see the baddest muscle car on the road. One that he built.

He loved his people. He was proud of his roots and the work ethic and spirit that the mountains of eastern Kentucky can instill. He never strayed from who he was. And he was a lot of things: a husband, father, son, coach, leader, educator, friend, competitor, and yes, a builder.

Rest in peace, Coach.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Rest In Peace coach…

I didn’t know Coach Matney. I played against his teams when he was at Sheldon Clark. He seemed to truly love and embrace the mountain culture along with the kids that came from the area. That alone is enough for me to believe he was a good man. 

What he built at Johnson Central is absolutely amazing. 

• Like 2

Of course, he is more well known has a legendary football coach. But those of us in the wrestling community also recognize how legendary he was as a wrestling coach. Johnson Central has been right up there with Union County and others for years producing some of the states best wrestling talent. Rest in peace, Coach.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I met Jim years ago when I was a young coach. I asked him if he would care to spend a Saturday with me and help me learn how to coach this game of football. He gladly said yes. Many years later I had developed a very good relationship with Coach. When I left Franklin-Simpson Jim called me before anyone else to see if I was doing OK. That meant a lot to me. Here was this legendary coach checking on me. I know Coach Matney is flying high in heaven. He is missed and loved by many many people. God Bless JC fans, players, and coaches as well as Jim's family. 

• Like 7

So was this from a Stroke or Covid? Earlier posts mention a stroke.

Prays to the coaches family and friends.

Get your shots peeps. Your choice, your rights but beats dying earlier than you should.

I was against getting my shot, but when my best friend died from it at the age of 38, made me wake up and rethink my decision. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

So was this from a Stroke or Covid? Earlier posts mention a stroke.

Prays to the coaches family and friends.

Get your shots peeps. Your choice, your rights but beats dying earlier than you should.

I was against getting my shot, but when my best friend died from it at the age of 38, made me wake up and rethink my decision. 

The stroke was brought on by COVID. Increased blood clots (which are what cause strokes) are a common symptom of acute COVID infection, so virtually all individuals who make their way to the ICU as a result of COVID are extremely at-risk for stroke during their time in the ICU, and are considered increased stroke-risk patients for the rest of their lives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2