Johnson Central Head Coach Jim Matney

Obituary for James Thomas Matney

James Thomas Matney, 62, of Hagerhill, Kentucky, passed peacefully in his sleep, Tuesday, September 28, 2021. He was born in Paintsville, Kentucky, August 17, 1959.

Jim graduated from Belfry High School in 1977, where he excelled in football, wrestling and baseball. He then continued his wrestling career at Liberty University, where he graduated in 1982 with a degree in history. He came back to Kentucky and served as an assistant football coach at Belfry High School. In 1983, he was hired to be the head football and wrestling coach at Sheldon Clark High School in Martin County, Kentucky, where they won 2 team wrestling state championships in 1994 and 1995 and 17 individual state champions. He and his football team also achieved success winning the regional tournament and reaching the semi state. In 2004, he began coaching at Johnson Central High School and led the eagles to 5 straight state championship appearances, winning two state football championships in 2016 and 2019, two state wrestling dual meet championships in 2019 and 2021 and ten individual state champions.

He is preceded in death by his parents, Kermit and Pauline Matney of Stone, Ky and two sisters, Rita Cheryl and Joyce Ann.

https://www.callahamfuneralhome.com/obituaries/James-Matney-2/#!/Obituary

He is survived by his wife, Deborah, two sons, Dalton and Carson, four brothers, Clyde Payne (Bobbi) of Youngsville, North Carolina, Gary Matney of New Braunfels, Texas, Bill (Susan) and Mike Matney of Stone, Kentucky, his mother and father-in-law John and Sue Jude, sisters-in-law Tammy Goble (Kelly), Janette Jude (Larry Joe), and Cindy Mills (Jason), ten nephews and eight nieces. He is also survived by countless friends and players, past and present. He is truly missed.

A walk-through visitation will be held in the gymnasium of the Johnson Central High School on Sunday, October 3rd from 6:00-9:00pm. Funeral services will be held at the Johnson Central Football Stadium on Monday at 1:00pm with visitation starting at 11:00am. In the event of inclement weather, services will be moved to the gymnasium. Burial will follow at the Mayo Cemetery in Prestonsburg, KY. Face mask are strongly encouraged for all in attendance. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the "Matney College Fund" at the City National Bank, 603 South Mayo Trail, Paintsville, KY 41240, P:606-788-4983. Arrangements are under the direction of the Callaham Funeral Home, Inez, KY.

To send flowers or a memorial gift to the family of James Thomas Matney please visit our Sympathy Store.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

From Debby Matney on Facebook:

I am tremendously grateful for all the support my boys and I have received over the last 42 days. I can't even begin to explain what a comfort your prayers, thoughts, cards, messages, food and gifts have meant to us. Thank you for helping us get through the most difficult time in our lives. It was humbling and heartwarming to see how many people took time to show they cared. My boys and I will always remember how our communities came together for us. Jim would have been overwhelmed by all the love shown to us.
Thank you so much.

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and text that says 'CENTRAL FOOTBALL'

• Like 5