Newport hires Brian Weinrich as new head football coach.

14 minutes ago, AgainstTheGrain said:

Highlands fans back in 2014 thought he was a big enough name from his years of coaching there to be the head coach. Hope you followed along on what happened there and know why he isn't the coach there now. If he couldn't keep the winning tradition going at HHS he won't be able to get Newport to any winning ways. He had the everything handed to him at Highlands and dismantled it in a short fee years... Enjoy it.

You posted this 11 hours ago in the Open Job: Newport thread.

"Good for Coach Weinrich. I am sure he will get the best out of the kids at Newport and bring them success...." - AgainstTheGrain

What changed your opinion?

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I have a question perhaps it might need to be its own topic.   Thoughts about coaches in school systems teaching in one and coaching in another?  I know tenure and they are educators first but does it not create an issue and impedes a new coach?  Sphires is limited in staff because of teaching positions.  He has para-pros and they will do a fine job but to be candid he might be very limited in his choices by others that are in the building.  Again I know many are fine educators but having multiple teaching positions tied to coaching jobs down the street can be concerning.  

16 hours ago, AgainstTheGrain said:

What do you mean by "inner city"? How is Newport any different of a school than Highlands. Both are independent school systems and operate pretty similar. Only seperated by about 4 miles

Pretty obvious you know nothing about education nor the demographics of the two communities so it would be counter productive to reply in depth.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, AgainstTheGrain said:

Not about money. It's all about what you put into it. Can't blame not being able to compete on who gets the most money. Are you for real?

You have no clue to the different challenges involved.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

I have a question perhaps it might need to be its own topic.   Thoughts about coaches in school systems teaching in one and coaching in another?  I know tenure and they are educators first but does it not create an issue and impedes a new coach?  Sphires is limited in staff because of teaching positions.  He has para-pros and they will do a fine job but to be candid he might be very limited in his choices by others that are in the building.  Again I know many are fine educators but having multiple teaching positions tied to coaching jobs down the street can be concerning.  

I believe the new coach has some former staff members on board. Hey, it's just the way it is. When I was teaching and coaching it seldom occured, but now it does regularly. If a person has 25 years experience....two years from retirement....in a high paying district and is eligible for unused sick leave how can you leave if you coaching position is terminated? I always told young coaches to become the best classroom teacher in their school because you make a lot more as a teacher than as a coach.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 9068 said:

I believe the new coach has some former staff members on board. Hey, it's just the way it is. When I was teaching and coaching it seldom occured, but now it does regularly. If a person has 25 years experience....two years from retirement....in a high paying district and is eligible for unused sick leave how can you leave if you coaching position is terminated? I always told young coaches to become the best classroom teacher in their school because you make a lot more as a teacher than as a coach.

Makes sense and very valid.

28 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Article I read said that BW would be joining the faculty at Newport.  A new job that has been created in the district.

18 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

Not a new created job. 

Can't say I blame him for wanting to get the hell out of Dodge, what with comments like the ones from Against The Grain coming out of the Highlands crowd.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, theguru said:

How does the pay at Newport and Highlands compare?

Probably close on certified salary schedule, but I imagine Newport coaching salary is less. They will more than likely pay him for other duties too. For retirement purposes his highest 5 or 3 (depending on when he retires) would be his last years at Highlands. Big thing would be ability to transfer unused sick leave.

37 minutes ago, theguru said:

How does the pay at Newport and Highlands compare?

Employee salaries are publicly available. The latest reported salaries I could find were from 2019. The middle school teachers I checked within the Ft. Thomas Independent district were all making between $60K and $65K - I honestly have no idea what he taught, but they have Weinrich listed as a middle school instructor for 2019. Plus they offered just over $9K for high school head coaching duties.

For an "apples to apples" comparison, it looks like middle school teachers in Newport Independent Schools were making between $38K and $52K. They offered $8K for high school head coaching duties.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Article I read said that BW would be joining the faculty at Newport.  A new job that has been created in the district.

53 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

Not a new created job. 

Press Release From Newport Independent Schools:

NEWPORT HIGH SCHOOL HIRES BRIAN WEINRICH AS VARSITY FOOTBALL COACH

Veteran coach led Highlands to state championship.

Newport High School has announced that Brian Weinrich, a 25-year-coaching veteran who led Highlands High School to the 2014 class 4A state football championship, has been named varsity football coach.

Weinrich, who compiled a 51-36 record while leading Highlands for seven seasons, replaces Joseph Wynn, who is now head coach at Mason County High School.

"After speaking with Coach Weinrich it is made clear that he wants to be a part of the Newport Family," said Newport High School Athletic Director Alan Haire II." He is a family-oriented guy that has the ability to take our team to the next level."

Coach Weinrich is a 1990 Highlands graduate who played on the school's 1989 state championship team. Before becoming head coach in 2014, Weinrich spent 18 years as an assistant coach and defensive coordinator under the legendary Dale Mueller, who won 11 state titles over 20 seasons.

“I am very excited for the opportunity to coach the Newport Wildcats,” Coach Weinrich said.

“I’ve only been at Newport for two days and had two practices, but I’m just bouncing off the walls with excitement. The guys have been so receptive, and they are working so hard after just two days. I have already seen improvements; the enthusiasm is great, and we are going to have a lot of fun. I really thank Newport High School for giving me this opportunity.”

Coach Weinrich has also joined the teaching staff and will oversee the New Pathways program at Newport High School.

Newport High School Interim Principal Mike Hunter said Coach Weinrich was not only successful on the field but also sent several players on to play college football at all levels.

"Coach Weinrich's work ethic and discipline will provide the structure for our student-athletes to excel and acquire the skills needed for a successful transition to adult life," Principal Hunter said. "He will help to build a culture of success and hold athletes to high standards. We are thrilled to welcome Brian Weinrich to the Wildcat family."

Newport High School's varsity football team is clearly on the rise that is posting three consecutive winning seasons and attracting new players to the program.

Just five years ago, less than 25 players were on the team's roster. But participation has grown over the past few seasons as the team has posted winning seasons.

"Newport will also return a large senior class for a 2A school," Haire said. "Football participation has also grown over the past three years and the team is expected to field a roster of over 40 players.”

"We are very excited to see where Coach Weinrich takes this football program," he said. "We have many talented student-athletes that will be returning this year and they are eager to prove themselves to the new coach and the community."

Weinrich, a receiver and defensive back at Highlands, played college football at Campbellsville University.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1