Diamondbacks at Reds (4/20 - 4/22)

Your Reds are back.  Building a bullpen on retreads and other teams garbage does not make you feared in MLB.  Not sure if blame goes to owner for being cheap, GM for being clueless or David Bell just appearing lost in the dugout.  This team may lose 10 straight considering they go to St Louis and then Los Angeles.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

There are few things more annoying than pitchers afraid to throws strikes. 

Did they just say that 5 of the 8 walks for Arizona have scored, and another one forced in a run with the bases loaded?

Reds won't have any toes left after this series.

3 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Your Reds are back.  Building a bullpen on retreads and other teams garbage does not make you feared in MLB.  Not sure if blame goes to owner for being cheap, GM for being clueless or David Bell just appearing lost in the dugout.  This team may lose 10 straight considering they go to St Louis and then Los Angeles.

Bullpen IS worse than last year, didn’t think it was possible!!

Arizona 5-1 against Reds, 4-9 against everybody else!!

Unfortunately, this is what MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL has become

It started with all of the expansion, and the influx of Latin American players, the majority of whom are position players, and has now left quality pitching in its wake.  

17 walks in three games, five walks in an inning, and 25 runs in a game are not what was formerly Major League quality.  When minor league pitching is counted on to pitch to an even watered down Major League offensive lineup, this is what you get.  And we seem to be getting more than our share of it.

The Reds appear to he heading back to their comfort zone - below .500.

1 hour ago, Mustang said:

Unfortunately, this is what MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL has become

It started with all of the expansion, and the influx of Latin American players, the majority of whom are position players, and has now left quality pitching in its wake.  

I'm not connecting the dots on how more Latin born players in the MLB, who are traditionally position players, are causing bullpens to not be as good.

5 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I'm not connecting the dots on how more Latin born players in the MLB, who are traditionally position players, are causing bullpens to not be as good.

I think that he's saying that the influx of Latin players has significantly increased the overall talent level of the player pool in MLB.  However, a higher percentage of those talented players are position players. So, while the position player talent level has improved, the pitching talent level has not.   I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I think that is what he's saying.   

I'm not sure that I agree.  I think it has more to do with who is put in the bullpens and how they are used.   It seems like every team wants a pen full of pitchers throwing 95+.  They take a lot of pitchers that don't really have an effective secondary pitch and have them come in to throw as hard as they can for an inning.  A lot of these guys seem to be throwers instead of pitchers.  When they're on their hard to do anything with, but if they're not it can get ugly in a hurry. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I think that he's saying that the influx of Latin players has significantly increased the overall talent level of the player pool in MLB.  However, a higher percentage of those talented players are position players. So, while the position player talent level has improved, the pitching talent level has not.   I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I think that is what he's saying.   

Yeah!   What he said.  ^^^

Well, it was my first game of the year yesterday.  Turned out to be a nice afternoon and the game was entertaining.  Bullpen was atrocious.  Didn't think Doolittle did enough to make the squad in spring training.  He proved that yesterday.  Perez can't throw strikes consistently.  I'll still hope Romano will work out.  Sims will be ok.  If Garrett is gonna close he needs to bring the heat more often.  Antone will eventually need to be a starter.  Love the Reds and always will.  Hard to beat a day at the ballpark even if a 24 ounce beer was $14.25...