Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (Update: Yes)

On 9/2/2021 at 12:54 PM, tackle trap said:

I disagree with most folks I believe with the right coach the new school should be able to compete with Male and the Trinity's of the world. Christian won it twice in 4A when there was only 4 classes. Harder to win it then then it is now. Still the only school outside Louisville to win it twice in Kentucky's highest class. 

I'm not sure if this is true. Trinity elevated their program from good to great under Bob Beatty. The Shamrocks were always good but the gap was narrower because offenses weren't nearly as diverse. That is different today. Male is there, too. St. X is getting there. I'm not seeing that kind of growth in the public county schools.

This new Hopkinsville school will be very good and with the right hire could be great. But there's a reason only one state team has won the biggest class since Nelson County in 1996. I suspect the new Hopkinsville school looks, and competes, similar to the McCrackens, Hendersons, Hardins, etc. - regional final ceilings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The new school is going to be named Hopkinsville Christian County Academy.

18 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Wolfe is cool mascot!

11 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Gross

I'm still stumping for the mascot to be the "Night Raiders."

The name is historically significant to the area too: The Night Riders | Wikipedia

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I'm not sure if this is true. Trinity elevated their program from good to great under Bob Beatty. The Shamrocks were always good but the gap was narrower because offenses weren't nearly as diverse. That is different today. Male is there, too. St. X is getting there. I'm not seeing that kind of growth in the public county schools.

This new Hopkinsville school will be very good and with the right hire could be great. But there's a reason no state teams have won the biggest class since Nelson County in 1996. I suspect the new Hopkinsville school looks, and competes, similar to the McCrackens, Hendersons, Hardins, etc. - regional final ceilings.

Jim McKee is gonna have a bone to pick with you for that one...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

This new Hopkinsville school will be very good and with the right hire could be great. But there's a reason only one state team has won the biggest class since Nelson County in 1996. I suspect the new Hopkinsville school looks, and competes, similar to the McCrackens, Hendersons, Hardins, etc. - regional final ceilings.

ST. X and Trinity were winning championships in the 60's, 70's and the 80's and Male even was the No.1 team in the nation at one point in the time. 

27 minutes ago, tackle trap said:

ST. X and Trinity were winning championships in the 60's, 70's and the 80's and Male even was the No.1 team in the nation at one point in the time. 

I mentioned that. But look at the scores, look at the gap. Teams didn't put points on the board then like they do now. Teams like Trinity took a step forward that a lot of other teams haven't been able to make. The gap is most definitely wider now than it has ever previously been.

• Like 1

True I get what you're saying I still believe the new school could win a 6A title with the right mind set. 6A football in WKY is very weak in my opinion.  Should get a chance to play either one of the elite 3 every year. 100% positive the 1982 County team would give this year ST. X team all they wanted and more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I would say that this school will be the cream of the crop in 6A WKY and on a good cycle of kids can compete for a state title. The support financially & with getting and retaining quality coaches will be key to the ceiling imo. 

• theguru changed the title to Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (Update: Yes)
56 minutes ago, WKY_Football said:

I would say that this school will be the cream of the crop in 6A WKY and on a good cycle of kids can compete for a state title. The support financially & with getting and retaining quality coaches will be key to the ceiling imo. 

I agree with you there. The new school should be the best of the 6A county schools. I also believe they should be annual contenders in baseball and basketball, two sports in which Hopkinsville and Christian County have traditionally been state powers.