Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (Update: Yes)

2 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

From what I am hearing there is not much support in the community for this move. It is all speculation at this time. Could happen but it will cost a lot of money and people in this community do not like to spend money? Lot of old money on one side of the town and not much on the other for sports.

From what I have heard, the speculation arose from both Christian County and Hopkinsville having physical plants that likely will need remodeled or completely replaced in the near future. The discussion centered around either fixing two or building one new to house everyone.

I agree with you, I don't believe there will be much demand for this, although it makes for fun conversation.

I like the merger idea.  For example , if there were still ONE Boone County HS, it would be competitive with any program in the state. 

I would love to see....

Laurel County HS

Madison County HS

Jessamine County HS

You could still have two campuses, but one school. Or, do a freshman academy, house 10 thru 12 in another location. 

Would be some logistic issues, for sure. But, you can create pods/small groups to gain benefits of a smaller school... and keep the advantages of the numbers. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

I like the merger idea.  For example , if there were still ONE Boone County HS, it would be competitive with any program in the state. 

I would love to see....

Laurel County HS

Madison County HS

Jessamine County HS

You could still have two campuses, but one school. Or, do a freshman academy, house 10 thru 12 in another location. 

Would be some logistic issues, for sure. But, you can create pods/small groups to gain benefits of a smaller school... and keep the advantages of the numbers. 

Boone County only had one single high school for a total of 16 years. BCHS was created in 1954 through the consolidation of New Haven, Florence, Burlington, and Hebron High Schools (they were previously all K-12 schools), and then Conner opened in 1970.

• Like 1

Financially its almost always makes sense to consolidate schools.  That puts all of the tax dollars going into the same pot and you only have 1 high school to staff and pay utility bills on.  This would really make for one heck of a football school in Western Kentucky.  The county has produced Power 5 players every single year for as along as I can remember.  If you already share a football stadium that cuts out a few million dollars already.  For those of you who haven't seen that stadium you are missing out.  

• Like 1

I would hate this I might understand if you’re a tiny school struggling to survive but these are pretty large schools. It doesn’t make any sense they keep consolidating these schools and then a few years later they say they’re to big and they bust them up and call them North or South or something. It seems like all they’re doing is doing away with the local community schools for no reason. And as far as becoming a athletic powerhouse what are they really accomplishing because they’re never going to beat Trinity, St. Xavier and Male.

On 4/3/2021 at 8:33 AM, Tkinslow said:

I would hate this I might understand if you’re a tiny school struggling to survive but these are pretty large schools. It doesn’t make any sense they keep consolidating these schools and then a few years later they say they’re to big and they bust them up and call them North or South or something. It seems like all they’re doing is doing away with the local community schools for no reason. And as far as becoming a athletic powerhouse what are they really accomplishing because they’re never going to beat Trinity, St. Xavier and Male.

Disagree. Football: Hoptown has been to the state championship three times winning two. Late 90’s early 2000’s were an elite team. Gave Boyle county all they wanted and could have easily won couple of those games. Still playing good football here recently. Christian County has been to the state championship 4 times wining two. They are the only school outside Louisville to win the title in the biggest classification more than once (4A at that time). Not long ago they were one of the elites n WKY. 
Basketball: Both Hoptown and County have won state championships and have made multiple appearances in the state title games. 
Baseball: County has won a state championship and had a run where they were one of the better teams n the state.

Wrestling: Great history here. Both programs have won state championships and many individual championships. Christian is still one of the elites in the state and should keep getting better. 

Softball: Christian is one of the better programs in state history with multiple state championships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tackle trap said:

Disagree. Football: Hoptown has been to the state championship three times winning two. Late 90’s early 2000’s were an elite team. Gave Boyle county all they wanted and could have easily won couple of those games. Still playing good football here recently. Christian County has been to the state championship 4 times wining two. They are the only school outside Louisville to win the title in the biggest classification more than once (4A at that time). Not long ago they were one of the elites n WKY. 
Basketball: Both Hoptown and County have won state championships and have made multiple appearances in the state title games. 
Baseball: County has won a state championship and had a run where they were one of the better teams n the state.

Wrestling: Great history here. Both programs have won state championships and many individual championships. Christian is still one of the elites in the state and should keep getting better. 

Softball: Christian is one of the better programs in state history with multiple state championships.

In football no one will ever overtake the Louisville powers in 6A. Maybe a year every now and then like Scott Co did a couple years ago but year in and year out no one will be a problem for them.

• Like 1

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (UPDATE: Yes)
  • theguru changed the title to Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (Update: Yes)