Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (Update: Yes)

I’m not rooting against their success at all. I sincerely hope they compete in football at the 6A level. Eventually I’m sure they will. I’m am just not sold in it at all. Hopkinsville has been okay the last several years but has possibly underachieved. Christian County has been completely horrible the last several years. I don’t think they would be anywhere near what South Warren and Bowling Green are. I think they will be a worse version of Frederick Douglass - athletic, talented, lots of hype but get a rude awakening in 6A. It is going to take a really really good guy to get the program where it needs to be from a discipline standpoint

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Seems to be a lot of planning still to be worked out. From the link below dated Jan. 14 ~

Christian County Schools to Use a General Contractor for High School Project

"A BG-1 form for the consolidated high school campus along with the Gateway Academy has been approved in the amount of $97 million with project costs totaling $107 million."

"There has been no official date on when the new campus will be completed or any decision made on whether to combine the schools in their current buildings before the new school is finished."

wkdzradio.com/2022/01/14/christian-county-schools-to-use-a-general-contractor-for-high-school-project/news-edge/

I think public schools should be extraordinary and a $107 million at first glance seems like a jaw dropping number, but maybe not. Over the holidays I had a chance to visit a new county high school in rural Indiana (a replacement of a 60+ year old school and a consolidation with a Tech Academy) in a town of under 10,000 with an enrollment of ~ 1,000 built for $92 million. [See the link below.]

The community there initially resisted their new setup too, but the rejuvenation within the community - academic and athletic programs, business retention and attraction, and new housing construction is proving the project to be a wise investment.

wane.com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.wane.com/news/back-to-school/take-a-look-inside-columbia-citys-new-high-school

I believe there will be considerable interest from Big Name Head Coaches with this job. 6A school with the facilities they are talking, plus a winnable district and more than enough athletes to complete at the 6A level. 

Could be a big time job and State contender with the right hire. The wrong hire and it’s got the potential to blow up in your face. 

2 hours ago, Tigerallamerican said:

Rumor mill is that they went whale hunting down US 27 in the central part of the state that has ties to the area. IF, they were able to land this whale it would be a huge get and might put Trinity on high alert lol. 

Depending on your definition of "central," US 27 would include Harrison County, Bourbon County/Paris, Lexington, East/West Jessamine, Garrard County, Lincoln County, Pulaski County, Southwestern, and Somerset. Outside of maybe Johnny Hines at Pulaski, I'm not sure any of those schools have a current or past name that would be described as a whale for Christian County/Hopkinsville.

3 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Depending on your definition of "central," US 27 would include Harrison County, Bourbon County/Paris, Lexington, East/West Jessamine, Garrard County, Lincoln County, Pulaski County, Southwestern, and Somerset. Outside of maybe Johnny Hines at Pulaski, I'm not sure any of those schools have a current or past name that would be described as a whale for Christian County/Hopkinsville.

Maybe I should have said 127 or just hang a roger on 34 from 27 and drive southwest for a few miles. 

• Haha 1