If you had the power to tweak the RPI what would you do?

theguru

I honestly think we could keep this simple, just like the tie breaker option except take each teams wins and minus by the teams losses and you get a point total for that team even if it’s in the negative. It kind of takes a value on how good that team has been that season and really doesn’t reward anyone for being a bigger school like in this new setup.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be very simple to use CalPreps/MaxPreps.  They cap every victory at 36 points for their ratings and it would give a much truer account of the strength of out-of-state opponents.  The current RPI is NOT a reflection of strength of schedule.  It rewards being able to schedule "wins" against teams that can also schedule "wins".  

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The best metrics to measure a team are margin of victory and strength of schedule. RPI doesn't have margin of victory metric so that is a big flaw in my opinion. All the top computer ratings whether for Pro, college, or HS use some form of victory margin combined with strength of schedule. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2021 at 2:51 PM, Tigerpride94 said:

The best metrics to measure a team are margin of victory and strength of schedule. RPI doesn't have margin of victory metric so that is a big flaw in my opinion. All the top computer ratings whether for Pro, college, or HS use some form of victory margin combined with strength of schedule. 

I'll say it louder for the people in the back!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

In a non-covid year I would think that the RPI would be pretty accurate except for teams that play a lot of out-of-state games. It still wouldn't be accurate for teams like Trinity and it would still rank them unrealistically low that they would need to find a way to account for, but aside from that I think the RPI isn't too bad.

Covid Cancellations absolutely kill RPI's ability to be accurate. 

• Like 2