Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is it time for Calipari to go?

Featured Replies

I’m not saying Stevens would leave the Celtics and the prima donna NBA players to come to Ky State I mean KY and Coach. I just said he would be a good fit IMO and KY obviously could pay 3 times his current salary. Celtics IMO aren’t going to pay him an extra 6 million a year to stay. If I’m him I’d listen if KY comes a calling and see if Boston would.

  • Replies 230
  • Views 32.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

I’m not saying Stevens would leave the Celtics and the prima donna NBA players to come to Ky State I mean KY and Coach. I just said he would be a good fit IMO and KY obviously could pay 3 times his current salary. Celtics IMO aren’t going to pay him an extra 6 million a year to stay. If I’m him I’d listen if KY comes a calling and see if Boston would.

Brad Stephens has been a college coach, he chose the NBA. 

13 hours ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Draft night will never be BBNs greatest night of the year. 

Completely agree and I was a little thrown off by that quote initially but I think there is a ton of deeper context in that quote.

In my mind, Coach Cal knew that draft night was massively important to the future of his program. He knew that night would lead to getting more high level recruits, final fours and title(s). Waiting on the (s).

So I totally get what he meant but also know why it threw some people off.

13 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Brad Stephens has been a college coach, he chose the NBA. 

And what’s the point. Once they go to the NBA they can’t go back to a College program. Pitino did it. Calipari did it. Stephens may or may not do it. Also forgot to mention theirs a SEC coach who I think would crush it at KY. Problem is he won’t  get a sniff at the Job. BRUCE PEARL.

2 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

And what’s the point. Once they go to the NBA they can’t go back to a College program. Pitino did it. Calipari did it. Stephens may or may not do it. Also forgot to mention theirs a SEC coach who I think would crush it at KY. Problem is he won’t  get a sniff at the Job. BRUCE PEARL.

Neither Pitino or Calipari had even close to the amount of success that Stephens has had in the NBA. Maybe if Stephens is fired and can't get another NBA job he'd consider college again, but there is no reason to go backwards from the NBA to college for any NBA coach. 

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Completely agree and I was a little thrown off by that quote initially but I think there is a ton of deeper context in that quote.

In my mind, Coach Cal knew that draft night was massively important to the future of his program. He knew that night would lead to getting more high level recruits, final fours and title(s). Waiting on the (s).

So I totally get what he meant but also know why it threw some people off.

I get that but CALs recruiting has fallen way off from his first 5  seasons. The elite players aren’t coming to KY anymore. Without elite freshman coming you have no chance in March with young teams. He hasn’t adjusted very well to this and early loses to the Evansville’s of the world are happening more and more. He is 1-4 against Kansas his last 5 games. CALs last Top10 draft pick was KAT in 15.

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Neither Pitino or Calipari had even close to the amount of success that Stephens has had in the NBA. Maybe if Stephens is fired and can't get another NBA job he'd consider college again, but there is no reason to go backwards from the NBA to college for any NBA coach. 

Stevens took Butler to 2 straight Final Fours no title. He has had success in the NBA but no titles their either. 

On 12/31/2020 at 11:03 AM, Tomcats1990 said:

Stevens took Butler to 2 straight Final Fours no title. He has had success in the NBA but no titles their either. 

He is at a storied franchise in the NBA, makes good money, and a team that can compete for a title. He is at a place where the only thing he has to worry about is basketball. Not recruiting, not grades, not boosters, nothing. As long as he is in good standing with the Celtics, he is not going to leave to come to UK. The only time you see NBA coaches come to college, is if they they are failing in the NBA. 

On 12/31/2020 at 11:01 AM, Tomcats1990 said:

I get that but CALs recruiting has fallen way off from his first 5  seasons. The elite players aren’t coming to KY anymore. Without elite freshman coming you have no chance in March with young teams. He hasn’t adjusted very well to this and early loses to the Evansville’s of the world are happening more and more. He is 1-4 against Kansas his last 5 games. CALs last Top10 draft pick was KAT in 15.

The last 5 seasons you said no chance in March without elite players. Yet in 2017 and 2019 they were one shot away from the final four. Then even last year they were built well to make a run. Some of you all act like they have been horrible the last five years and have had no chance, and not true at all. 
 

By the way you last sentence is simply not true either. Fox was the fifth pick of the draft in 2017. In fact Cal had two players go in the top 14 picks in 2017 in Fox and Bam. 2019 Cal had another two players go in the top 14 in Washington and Herro. Yet somehow some of you all act like he has been getting horrible players who can’t play now. 

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

The last 5 seasons you said no chance in March without elite players. Yet in 2017 and 2019 they were one shot away from the final four. Then even last year they were built well to make a run. Some of you all act like they have been horrible the last five years and have had no chance, and not true at all. 
 

By the way you last sentence is simply not true either. Fox was the fifth pick of the draft in 2017. In fact Cal had two players go in the top 14 picks in 2017 in Fox and Bam. 2019 Cal had another two players go in the top 14 in Washington and Herro. Yet somehow some of you all act like he has been getting horrible players who can’t play now. 

Since 2015 it’s felt a lot like Tubby 2.0.  I’m hoping Cal can put together one last dynamic squad for his grand finale.

3 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Since 2015 it’s felt a lot like Tubby 2.0.  I’m hoping Cal can put together one last dynamic squad for his grand finale.

See can’t even compare him to Tubby. Tubby won his first year, and then was only elite 8s after. Cal took over a UK team that was coming off two horrible years with Billy G. Then went on to make four final fours, won a title, and a runner up in another in his first 6 years. That pace was unrealistic to keep up. Some act like the team has just been flat out terrible since then, and just not true. With how the NCAA tournament is set up, it’s impossible to consistently win or make final fours every few years. Which is why even Coach K hasn’t been able to do that since 2015, even though he has had those superstar players you always talk about. 
 

That’s why I argue this the most, is because you all act like it has been horrible since 2015. It has not been, does it suck coming literally one shot short in both 2017 and 2019 absolutely. Let’s not act like it was horrible, or those teams weren’t capable of winning it all. 
 

Cal definitely has to adjust, I won’t argue that. He use to always be one step ahead with current trends in college basketball. He did seem to miss getting ahead of the current trend, and also adjusting to the deeper three point line. Meaning great athletes are going to struggle more from even deeper out, which I think we have seen with some of these guys. So you would truly need guys who can shoot. He is going to have to adapt how he does things, such as getting and playing more shooters. So let’s see if he can adapt, if not then yes his time could be coming to an end. 

11 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

See can’t even compare him to Tubby. Tubby won his first year, and then was only elite 8s after. Cal took over a UK team that was coming off two horrible years with Billy G. Then went on to make four final fours, won a title, and a runner up in another in his first 6 years. That pace was unrealistic to keep up. Some act like the team has just been flat out terrible since then, and just not true. With how the NCAA tournament is set up, it’s impossible to consistently win or make final fours every few years. Which is why even Coach K hasn’t been able to do that since 2015, even though he has had those superstar players you always talk about. 
 

That’s why I argue this the most, is because you all act like it has been horrible since 2015. It has not been, does it suck coming literally one shot short in both 2017 and 2019 absolutely. Let’s not act like it was horrible, or those teams weren’t capable of winning it all. 
 

Cal definitely has to adjust, I won’t argue that. He use to always be one step ahead with current trends in college basketball. He did seem to miss getting ahead of the current trend, and also adjusting to the deeper three point line. Meaning great athletes are going to struggle more from even deeper out, which I think we have seen with some of these guys. So you would truly need guys who can shoot. He is going to have to adapt how he does things, such as getting and playing more shooters. So let’s see if he can adapt, if not then yes his time could be coming to an end. 

There's a lot that's right in this post.  It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but he does need to adjust.  I'm hoping that tonight will help Cal get over his own stubbornness.

End of the day, he's still the guy for this job.  Potential replacement names that are thrown around are largely unrealistic anyway. 

I know we all think that Calipari needs to be recruiting more shooters and changing some of his offensive philosophy.  But I have a quick question.

Don't you think that Calipari thought Immanuel Quickley would be on this team when he was recruiting it?  I'd imagine he thought he already had his true shooter and then Q blew up in his sophomore season.

I’ll ask again.

Someone give me a realistic replacement for Cal and I’ll entertain the idea.

I’ve not seen a realistic name thrown out yet.

We ran Tubby out of town for an up and coming Billy G. That didn’t pan out. A good portion of our fans were screaming for Travis Ford to be the replacement. Is he still coaching ?

There’s a reason most of us are average Joes posting on a sports forum and not athletic directors making millions a year...

On 1/3/2021 at 4:44 PM, MBWC41 said:

I’ll ask again.

Someone give me a realistic replacement for Cal and I’ll entertain the idea.

I’ve not seen a realistic name thrown out yet.

We ran Tubby out of town for an up and coming Billy G. That didn’t pan out. A good portion of our fans were screaming for Travis Ford to be the replacement. Is he still coaching ?

There’s a reason most of us are average Joes posting on a sports forum and not athletic directors making millions a year...

Donovan would say no again, then it’s Holtmann’s if he wants it.  If he says no you’re looking at Shaka territory.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.