Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is it time for Calipari to go?

Featured Replies

2 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

We are headed toward the worst or 2nd worst season of our lifetime.

Keep in mind that about 3-4 cupcake games were removed from the schedule, which would have probably all been wins. 

Doesn't excuse the losses and doesn't excuse how bad they've played at times but if those games happen, like they do every single year, this team is probably more like 9-10 or 8-10 at this time.  Is that still the worst or 2nd worst of our lifetime?  Maybe it is but still needs brought into the conversation.

  • Replies 230
  • Views 32.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Is this the first season without Kenny Payne?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Yes.

Thought so. I know I've seen some people alluding to the fact that Payne is gone is contributing to what's going on this season. We'll see if that is actually the case in the coming seasons. 

I’m not a KY fan, but I think Calipari has had enough success to give him another year or two. If he turns it around next year with better recruiting class then this year will be forgotten.

1 minute ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I’m not a KY fan, but I think Calipari has had enough success to give him another year or two. If he turns it around next year with better recruiting class then this year will be forgotten.

Exactly. They go to the Final Four next year and not one of the naysayers cares at all about this year. 

7 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Thought so. I know I've seen some people alluding to the fact that Payne is gone is contributing to what's going on this season. We'll see if that is actually the case in the coming seasons. 

Very well could be.  Seems like the players all loved Kenny Payne but he was also really tough on them.

What is Orlanda Antigua up to these days?  I remember people being bummed when he left. I know he left for South Florida and haven't really heard about him since.  I think he might have gotten in some trouble with the NCAA while there though.

13 hours ago, Tomcats1990 said:

9284D544-37B2-4BEE-BDA0-502842050BD9.png

The 2010 to 2015 stats were amazing, but realistically not sustainable. The 2016 to 2021 stats are not bad. Especially when you consider that last years tournament didn’t take place. If it did, it would mean more tournament wins, and possibly adding one to the final four column. 
 

I could be wrong but I would say Cals 9 wins in the tournament since 2016 would still be in the top 10 in amount of tournament wins since 2016 heading into this season. So basically the only thing holding it back, is the 0 final fours. Which is crazy to me that literally the difference between people complaining about Cal or not is one basketball shot. Literally if one shot goes different in either the UNC or Auburn elite 8 games, then they would have had a final four. Basically two shots away from two final fours during this span. 
 

This year has sucked and horrible and can’t happen again. However, people acting like the previous five years we’re horrible before this season, is just wrong. 
 

The 2010 to 2015 run was great, but not sustainable. Yet spoiled fans into thinking that is how it should always be. 

2 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Very well could be.  Seems like the players all loved Kenny Payne but he was also really tough on them.

What is Orlanda Antigua up to these days?  I remember people being bummed when he left. I know he left for South Florida and haven't really heard about him since.  I think he might have gotten in some trouble with the NCAA while there though.

Antigua is an assistant coach at Illinois currently.  If he could come back I'm sure Cal could make it happen. 

Payne being gone definitely hurts, because he was a great coach to have on staff. With that said UK also had a very rough year in 2013 even with him on staff, when they were a NIT team.

 

I think the biggest thing comes down to pg play. In 2013 they also didn’t have good pg play, a guy who could get into the lane and create. That 2013 also had a player in Goodwin who was suppose to be a lot better than what he was, much like Boston this year. 
 

Biggest difference is, that 2013 team at least had some cupcake teams on the schedule. Other than that though it was a bad team. 
 

Cal was able to regroup from that, and make the finals the next year. Then almost go undefeated the year after. So next year is a big year to see if Cal can fix it again. Or if the time together is nearing an end. 
 

 

17 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Payne being gone definitely hurts, because he was a great coach to have on staff. With that said UK also had a very rough year in 2013 even with him on staff, when they were a NIT team.

 

I think the biggest thing comes down to pg play. In 2013 they also didn’t have good pg play, a guy who could get into the lane and create. That 2013 also had a player in Goodwin who was suppose to be a lot better than what he was, much like Boston this year. 
 

Biggest difference is, that 2013 team at least had some cupcake teams on the schedule. Other than that though it was a bad team. 
 

Cal was able to regroup from that, and make the finals the next year. Then almost go undefeated the year after. So next year is a big year to see if Cal can fix it again. Or if the time together is nearing an end. 
 

 

That 2012-13 team had just won 7 out of their last 8 games, had moved back into the rankings and was sitting at 17-6 when Noel went down against Florida.  

They were a tournament team at that point before going 4-6 down the stretch without him.  That had everything to do with Noel's injury.  So I don't think you can point to them having a bad season that year with Payne on the staff as proof that they had bad seasons with him.   

9 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

That 2012-13 team had just won 7 out of their last 8 games, had moved back into the rankings and was sitting at 17-6 when Noel went down against Florida.  

They were a tournament team at that point before going 4-6 down the stretch without him.  That had everything to do with Noel's injury.  So I don't think you can point to them having a bad season that year with Payne on the staff as proof that they had bad seasons with him.   

So you’re using his injury as the excuse? So I assume then you are fine with this season, and good with giving this season a pass then correct? Considering UK has never had their full team healthy for a single game this season. Considering that this team didn’t get to have the cupcake automatic wins on their schedule as that team did. Considering that this year was played in a pandemic, where didn’t get as much time together before the season. 
 

So since the injury can count as the reason for being a bad team that year, and being in the NIT. It is fair then to use all the reasons I just stated for why this team has just never clicked right? So the complaining, and the reason for this thread is just pointless. Since there are very valid reasons for why this team has failed, much like 2013 had a valid reason then. 

3 hours ago, futurecoach said:

So you’re using his injury as the excuse? So I assume then you are fine with this season, and good with giving this season a pass then correct? Considering UK has never had their full team healthy for a single game this season. Considering that this team didn’t get to have the cupcake automatic wins on their schedule as that team did. Considering that this year was played in a pandemic, where didn’t get as much time together before the season. 
 

So since the injury can count as the reason for being a bad team that year, and being in the NIT. It is fair then to use all the reasons I just stated for why this team has just never clicked right? So the complaining, and the reason for this thread is just pointless. Since there are very valid reasons for why this team has failed, much like 2013 had a valid reason then. 

I don't think that I mentioned this year's team at all in that post did I?  I sure can't find it anywhere.   

 

I simply stated the facts.  The 2012-13 team was 17-6, ranked and had won 7 out of 8 when they lost their best player and finished 4-6.  So,  while it wasn't headed towards being a great season they were going to be a tournament team with Noel.  So, trying to say that they had a bad season with Payne is misleading at best.   

Nope, still can't find any mention of this year's team in there anywhere.  

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

I don't think that I mentioned this year's team at all in that post did I?  I sure can't find it anywhere.   

 

I simply stated the facts.  The 2012-13 team was 17-6, ranked and had won 7 out of 8 when they lost their best player and finished 4-6.  So,  while it wasn't headed towards being a great season they were going to be a tournament team with Noel.  So, trying to say that they had a bad season with Payne is misleading at best.   

Nope, still can't find any mention of this year's team in there anywhere.  

I can find all kinds of post from you referencing this years team. Which considering this is a thread about Cal, and wasn’t started in reference to the poor play of this years team. Me saying that is perfectly aligned with what this thread is about. So no you didn’t need to directly say it in your post, for me to reference it. Since you have so many other post about this years team that would go along with this thread. 

33 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I can find all kinds of post from you referencing this years team. Which considering this is a thread about Cal, and wasn’t started in reference to the poor play of this years team. Me saying that is perfectly aligned with what this thread is about. So no you didn’t need to directly say it in your post, for me to reference it. Since you have so many other post about this years team that would go along with this thread. 

So that's a no then, I didn't mention this year's team.  I didn't think I did.  I refuted your claim that they had bad seasons with Payne on staff.  They would have been a tournament team every season had Noel not been injured.  My post was discussing Payne's impact--PERIOD. You chose to branch off on your own tangent about this year's team.   

 

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

So that's a no then, I didn't mention this year's team.  I didn't think I did.  I refuted your claim that they had bad seasons with Payne on staff.  They would have been a tournament team every season had Noel not been injured.  My post was discussing Payne's impact--PERIOD. You chose to branch off on your own tangent about this year's team.   

 

That's how discussion boards work.  Hell, @futurecoachis one of the best at tying discussions together to formulate dialogue about people's opinions and this is the response you give him?  Yes, you didn't say anything about this year's team in the post about Payne.

So, now, are you going to answer his question? Cause it's a decent one and its pretty related to this thread.

As for the 2012-2013 year, I think many often want to hang that year over Cal's head when they should because of what you outlined.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.