Is it time for Calipari to go?

BBN_34

14 minutes ago, bugatti said:

There are some elements of truth to this post. I do agree there is undue pressure, but I think it is important to note the culture is a good and bad thing. You are also grading all recruits on the same plane, which isn't fair. I don't think Calipari went into the home of Derek Willis and said if you come here and don't succeed from day one, you are a bust. I think by the success of previous recruits, the pressure organically happens. And for ever time it works against UK, I would argue it works in their favor. In Cal's tenure, only a small amount of guys were considered one and done pro prospects. I think the culture forces guys to play at a higher level and turns future pros into pros sooner than anticpated. Good examples of this are Herro, Bledsoe, and Quickley. I also think Calipari is up front with his kids in that there will be pressure to perform, whether they are ready or not. I don't necessarily believe that is a bad thing.

Jay Bilas did a tremendous bit last week on how it is fashionable to say Duke and UK are behind the times since they embrace "one and done." But a blip doesn't make a trend. The reality is since Cal's arrival, Duke and UK have been better positioned each year to win it all than any other schools. Obviously anything can happen in a single elimination tournament, so I wouldn't judge success on it. But there is a reason these two schools have more tournament wins than any other schools during this time frame.

What is the old saying, if you listen to the fans you will soon be sitting with them?

This!!!

13 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

I think Cal has lost his fastball.  We’re not getting the elite kids anymore and we have kids transferring in and out left and right.

We have no identity after being a 1 and done factory.  We’re trying to find someone to play PG.

I said it in my long post just now. However, it truly is a shame that last years tournament didn’t get to be played. Last years team honestly had a little bit of everything it needs for a deep run. Had a team with experience, as only one starter was a freshman. It was a team that has two legit NBA players on it, with Quickley and Maxey. Which they are showing they were legit NBA guys with their play this year as rookies. Had good guard play, as I just mentioned, and could defend. Had guys who could shoot the three, second best free throw shooting team in the country. Then had a legit post player in Richards, who could score inside, rebound and block shots. 

A lot of people seem to forget about last years team since the tournament didn’t happen. However, last years team had all the ingredients that you typically see in a team that makes a deep run. Which wouldn’t change how bad this years team is. However, could have changed the narrative in some of the complaints people have had. 

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I said it in my long post just now. However, it truly is a shame that last years tournament didn’t get to be played. Last years team honestly had a little bit of everything it needs for a deep run. Had a team with experience, as only one starter was a freshman. It was a team that has two legit NBA players on it, with Quickley and Maxey. Which they are showing they were legit NBA guys with their play this year as rookies. Had good guard play, as I just mentioned, and could defend. Had guys who could shoot the three, second best free throw shooting team in the country. Then had a legit post player in Richards, who could score inside, rebound and block shots. 

A lot of people seem to forget about last years team since the tournament didn’t happen. However, last years team had all the ingredients that you typically see in a team that makes a deep run. Which wouldn’t change how bad this years team is. However, could have changed the narrative in some of the complaints people have had. 

I feel like we had an elite 8, to a final 4 team last year.  Sweet 16 if we had gone ice cold at the wrong time.  Could have had a date with Dayton with a trip to the final 4 on the line.  Man, that would have been something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

They won the SEC and got better during the season but all that pops in my head is that Evansville loss.  WOW!!!

31 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

They won the SEC and got better during the season but all that pops in my head is that Evansville loss.  WOW!!!

That Evansville game lost sucked. However, at that time I don’t think Quickley or Richards had the confidence or realized how good they could be. Once they both figured it out, was when the team started to get going. It sucks we didn’t get to see how that team, which had experience would have done in the tournament. 

44 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

I feel like we had an elite 8, to a final 4 team last year.  Sweet 16 if we had gone ice cold at the wrong time.  Could have had a date with Dayton with a trip to the final 4 on the line.  Man, that would have been something.

With last year not having any true elite teams. UK definitely would have had a chance, with how they were set up. A Dayton matchup would have been fun. 

As much as it sucked for us UK fans not getting to see how our team would have done last year. It sucks even worse for Dayton. They had a top team, and didn’t get a chance to play it out. 

4 hours ago, John Anthony said:

I think Cal has lost his fastball.  We’re not getting the elite kids anymore and we have kids transferring in and out left and right.

We have no identity after being a 1 and done factory.  We’re trying to find someone to play PG.

You keep saying this but Boston and Clarke were both in the top ten in this year's class. Boston was considered one of the top 2 or 3 recruits. Pre-season he was projected as the #2 pick in this year's NBA draft.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bugatti said:

True. Though I am not sure how many teams really succeed these days without a PG that can somewhat break you down. That is not unique to UK.

You’re exactly right about other teams not having that either, my point is when you don’t have a point guard that can do that then don’t run offensive sets that depend on that, coaches have to adjust to what their players can do and Cal has not done that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

You keep saying this but Boston and Clarke were both in the top ten in this year's class. Boston was considered one of the top 2 or 3 recruits. Pre-season he was projected as the #2 pick in this year's NBA draft.

How’s that working out?  Cade Cunningham was the star we missed on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

How’s that working out?  Cade Cunningham was the star we missed on.

I agree, but Boston and Clarke coming out of high school would be comparable to Fox and Monk.  They just haven't performed anywhere near to their recruiting evaluations. 

When was CALs last Top 5 recruit out of High School. He isn’t getting near what he was early on. His one and done is dependent on getting the best of the best freshman to go against veteran teams. CAL still recruits dam well just not well enough in this current Era. 

34 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

When was CALs last Top 5 recruit out of High School. He isn’t getting near what he was early on. His one and done is dependent on getting the best of the best freshman to go against veteran teams. CAL still recruits dam well just not well enough in this current Era. 

This year - BJ Boston.

• Like 1