Open Job: Highlands

theguru

11 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Because other coaches have good jobs too. As good if not better than Highlands. 

I Understand, but as just stated in another reply, some coaches do need this challenge, some need the rush and some coaches have such a huge ego that will beg for this job knowing what’s at stake.

12 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

Why did Brian Kelly take the Notre Dame job? Why did Eddie Eviston take the CovCath job? Heck, why did Uncle Dale take the Highlands job?

Because they are programs that will challenge a coach and his abilities to handle the pressures of winning and more importantly have the chance to add a brick to the house that was built before them. 

Probably why the names being thrown out here are being mentioned, because they have all proven that they can probably handle this program and the fan base that goes with it. 

Great points all the way around. Great coaches love challenges for sure. 

What are those coaches going to do when they have to constantly deal with a fanbase that refuses to acknowledge the fact that maybe the talent isn't really there yet? What will they do when they realize they left a good job -- but now have to deal with a group of people who are hell bent on their kids being fawned over because they have had a family member in the program for 4 generations? 

And I know that coaches deal with that all the time. However--I think the coaching profession has finally started to realize that it is EASIER to build a program or rebuild a program when most everyone is on board -- and don't have to constantly serve so many masters all day. 

(My fault about BW -- thanks for setting me straight). 

• Like 1

I would love to see one of the poll thingys posted on a National coaches site that asked 1 simple question that required a simple yes or no answer. 

“Has anyone ever heard of Highlands Football, Ft. Thomas, Ky?”

Out of 10,000 votes I would take a stab at saying 8500 would be Yes. 

Not saying 8500 would apply if the money is right or would ever want it but I am saying the program is established, recognized and respected across the country for HS football and there will be many applicants IMO that may consider the challenge and opportunity.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

I Understand, but as just stated in another reply, some coaches do need this challenge, some need the rush and some coaches have such a huge ego that will beg for this job knowing what’s at stake.

I'm not saying Highlands won't get a quality coach, because I believe they absolutely will. I just don't think getting any candidate they want will be as easy as it may seem. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Great points all the way around. Great coaches love challenges for sure. 

What are those coaches going to do when they have to constantly deal with a fanbase that refuses to acknowledge the fact that maybe the talent isn't really there yet? What will they do when they realize they left a good job -- but now have to deal with a group of people who are hell bent on their kids being fawned over because they have had a family member in the program for 4 generations? 

And I know that coaches deal with that all the time. However--I think the coaching profession has finally started to realize that it is EASIER to build a program or rebuild a program when most everyone is on board -- and don't have to constantly serve so many masters all day. 

(My fault about BW -- thanks for setting me straight). 

Of course ask any successful coach or heck for that matter non-successful coach at a school like Highlands will always state that the fan base and parents are their biggest problem. 

I guess this is why Dale was so good, he didn’t let people get to him mentally. He could look a person in the eye and smile at you genuinely but behind that smile he was saying I despise you. 

Finding that guy will certainly be the biggest challenge and it could take a few hires to get it right. 

Let’s face it, everyone of these coaches are grown adults that will apply for this job. They know what they are signing up for, if it were easy BW would still be the coach. 

34 minutes ago, theguru said:

Also, has Ginger Webb been gone long enough that Highlands can get back on their feet like Beechwood did awhile after she left?

I often wonder why this point has not been made more often in regards to Highlands. When you look at her history at Beechwood--she did everything in her power to minimize the role of football and athletics there. She nearly completely stopped student/athlete tuition students (but opened it up for the band), refused to hire coaches for any teaching positions and basically limited funding for athletics to a level that I have never seen. 

My understanding is that the same thing happened at Highlands (I am aware of a few specific instances). 

Were tuition kids limited at Highlands? There is so much talk about there being more than enough talent to win there the past few years--but it seems like Highlands had quite a few out of area kids who were large contributors in the past (same thing at Beechwood). 

Another question then being--is there really enough talent there right now to be competitive? and has there been the last few years? Is that the reason why BW was allowed to stick around a little longer than most wanted? 

What is really interesting, Did Dale leave a little earlier than what was to be expected because he knew what was going to happen with Ginger Webb? By then -- it certainly shouldn't have been a surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

And some "insiders" don't realize that Highlands isn't going to just be able to pick whoever they want and expect them to come running. 

Who has said they are?  Hard to pick whomever you want at the high school level.  I am sure there will be plenty of applicants for the position, some good and some not so good.  Time will tell.

• Like 1