Open Job: Highlands

theguru

On 12/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, theguru said:

Forget that Coach Rash needs to stay at Beechwood.

On 12/3/2020 at 12:12 PM, TheDeuce said:

He doesn’t have anything left to prove at Beechwood. He would definitely have the resume. 

On 12/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, Voice of Reason said:

You are assuming he wins the 2A title? As to something to prove, he has never won a 2A title.

On 12/3/2020 at 1:16 PM, TheDeuce said:

I just meant at Beechwood in general. He's got the hardware. Is there really a big difference in a 2A title versus a 1A title? No, IMO. 

On 12/3/2020 at 1:17 PM, Voice of Reason said:

Is there a big difference in 2A and 4A, which is where everyone says Highlands is headed?

On 12/3/2020 at 1:20 PM, TheDeuce said:

Yes, IMO.

Boyle, LexCath, Franklin County, Corbin, Johnson Central, Central is quite a step up from 2A.

You skipped the entire conversation....

24 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Highlands is moving to 2A in the future? 

On 12/3/2020 at 1:17 PM, Voice of Reason said:

Is there a big difference in 2A and 4A, which is where everyone says Highlands is headed?

Do we know that Highlands is headed to 4A? Are any of the proverbial powers that be at Highlands saying they are considering opting to stay in 4A for the '23-'26 alignment?

Would the move to 4A be expressly with the intent to stay out of CCH's district? I know CCH's enrollment has been trending down a little. The KHSAA lists CCH's enrollment this year at 545, and the website for the diocese says 512. The football alignments take a four year average. Will CCH be moving down to 4A for '23-'26? The 4A school enrollment range is usually ≈ 420-559 boys, 5A is usually ≈ 560-754 boys, and 6A is usually ≈ 755 boys and larger. Anderson County is currently the largest 4A school and had a 4 year average of 553 boys. Looks completely possible that CCH could be sneaking back down to 4A if their enrollment numbers stay where they are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Oracle said:

Do we know that Highlands is headed to 4A? Are any of the proverbial powers that be at Highlands saying they are considering opting to stay in 4A for the '23-'26 alignment?

Would the move to 4A be expressly with the intent to stay out of CCH's district? I know CCH's enrollment has been trending down a little. The KHSAA lists CCH's enrollment this year at 545, and the website for the diocese says 512. The football alignments take a four year average. Will CCH be moving down to 4A for '23-'26? The 4A school enrollment range is usually ≈ 420-559 boys, 5A is usually ≈ 560-754 boys, and 6A is usually ≈ 755 boys and larger. Anderson County is currently the largest 4A school and had a 4 year average of 553 boys. Looks completely possible that CCH could be sneaking back down to 4A if their enrollment numbers stay where they are.

Lots of math going on in Ft. Thomas (and I imagine Paintsville as well).

4 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Lots of math going on in Ft. Thomas (and I imagine Paintsville as well).

Looks like JC currently has an enrollment of 576 boys. The KHSAA uses a 4 year average for their reclassification, like I said, but their current enrollment would make them 6th smallest in 5A, just behind South Warren and just ahead of Douglass.

3 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

The prior coach for certain wanted to play in the class that they fell into which was 4A.  What the new AD and coach want to do is anyone’s guess.  I would say with relative certainty that no move under consideration has anything to do with Covington Catholic.

What would the move have to do with then?

1 hour ago, The Oracle said:

Looks like JC currently has an enrollment of 576 boys. The KHSAA uses a 4 year average for their reclassification, like I said, but their current enrollment would make them 6th smallest in 5A, just behind South Warren and just ahead of Douglass.

Does that include their vocational school? Seems sometimes they include, sometimes they don't.

I have no idea what CCH is thinking but if the KHSAA allows it I would stay in 5A if I was in charge at CCH. 

I had to dig around on the KHSAA's site for the enrollment info they used to come up with the most recent football alignment (HERE). For what it's worth, when the KHSAA made their latest class alignment they were basing the 4-year average enrollment for Douglass entirely off of their enrollment in the 2017-18 school year, which was the first year they opened. They had 568 boys and 1065 total students the first year they were open. The FCPS site lists Douglass' current enrollment at 1539 (HERE). My understanding is that the athletic programs at Douglass include the student athletes from the grade 6-12 Carter G. Woodson Academy, which shares the Douglass campus. The FCPS site lists Carter G. Woodson Academy's current enrollment at 264 (HERE). Douglass will more than likely be a smaller 6A school in the next KHSAA alignment.

This is all kind of an aside from the Highlands topic, but I guess it does apply, in a way, since there is talk about Highlands opting to move back to 4A in order to compete with teams from schools more similar to their size. Regardless, I've always had a couple of questions about Douglass and I've never been able to get a clear answer on them:

1) Do the Douglass sports teams, in fact, include Woodson Academy student athletes?
2) If Douglass teams do include Woodson Academy student athletes, does that mean that Douglass' enrollment numbers already include the enrollment numbers from Woodson Academy? Or are the Woodson Academy enrollment numbers added in on top of Douglass' numbers?

Douglas will be 6A unless something crazy happens. 

I don’t know how true this is but my understating is JC would of been 5A. Highlands at 4A wanted to play up so that gives the lower end 5A teams the chance to move down. So JC ended up in 4A because Highlands wanted to be 5A. I don’t know how true that is completely and I’m sure other factors played into it. 

Someone mentioned vocational school numbers and I’ve heard this before also. I have no real frame of reference and I’m asking more because I want to learn more. Are their schools where their vocational school numbers do not count toward their athletic numbers for some reason?

The whole coaching search and everything that happens afterwards is going to be interesting. With all the Covid restrictions coming in and getting to work is going to be tough. If summer workouts are affected again then an incoming staff is going to have their work cutout for them. 

I’ve also wondered if style will be a factor.  How receptive or open would Highlands be to say a wing-t, wishbone, flexbone or similar style? Even an I formation or under center prostyle offense.