Open Job: Highlands

theguru

13 hours ago, barrel said:

There are a lot of opinions and factors that make it interesting. 

When you look at a number of different top level programs the HC has a job that allows them to spend more time of football. That of course is not the case everywhere but it is a factor. Would/does HHS place a HC in such a position? 

A very passionate fan base is a double edge sword. HHS has a very passionate fan base. Such fan bases can be extremely beneficial but can be detrimental if the coach doesn’t align with certain portions of the fan base. 

That same fan base at times appears to have varying opinions about the talent currently playing and available. Muller did a great job of convincing high school students that football was more important than a car or other distractions. 

The same fan base appears to want a certain style of offense. So if Rick Darlington, Tim Murphy, Rick Stewart, Kelley Lee, or Roger Holmes applied for the job would they want those individuals over some others? Scott Co is one of two or three programs that has won 10 games or more for over 10 years running Belly, Belly Sweep, Tackle Trap, Quick Pitch and Power. 

HHS is one of the top in all time wins which I believe Male and Valdosta HS but how many people know that or can name the top 5 without googling it? When a person goes through each state how many of the top programs can they name? How many can name the winningest program in each state?

The combination of factors between expectations, and environmental factors make it a very interesting scenario. One doesn’t see all the different combinations on a regular basis. Maybe the word is intriguing instead of interesting though they can mean the same thing. 

You make a valid point about time spent solely on football for the HC's. I'm not exactly sure but I believe Coach Mueller taught one or two AP classes a day. Both classes were early in the morning which left him a lot of time preparing for football. Yes, he was also the AD but he had a full-time secretary that handled a "ton" of the workload. Coach Weinrich had a full schedule teaching 6 plus classes per day.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, colonel-fan said:

Does that include their vocational school? Seems sometimes they include, sometimes they don't.

Which school are you referencing?

I always thought if you had voc students, they were included in your enrollment just like any other students.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:05 PM, barrel said:

Why do you feel that those offenses are a disservice or don’t prepare/develop players? I find it interesting this point of view is never directed to a defensive approach. 

It is also interesting that another poster referred to the clientele. I believe they were talking about the players/skills/talents but clientele sends a different message. 

Broken Arrow recently let their HC go someone could always reach out to him. Rich Hargritt would be someone else one could reach out to. If you’re looking for out of state people. Dub Maddox. Heck shoot for the moon and try for Kevin Kelly. If you are looking out of state unless they have KY ties getting someone south of TN would be very hard. In state heck go for Mcpeak. Douglas will move to 6A which means going through T every year. 

Coverdale found out that other schools and players weren’t going to do what T does. He is an amazing teacher. If a school/players aren’t going to buy in them it’s tough. 

Would HHS be willing to give a HC a schedule that allows him to concentrate on football? Put him in the weight room or something similar and make exceptions as far as duties? I have no idea. I just find the whole thing interesting. 

It's from my experience. When you don't get the reps in the passing game all spring and summer going against your own offense as a defensive back, for example, you're losing out on player development in pass coverage. Same thing for an offensive lineman, if you're only run blocking for 4 years, when you get to college and have to take a pass set, you're going to be so far behind another kid who had high school game reps pass blocking for 4 years. 

Nothing against those offensive systems, it's just my personal opinion. 

On 12/11/2020 at 11:03 AM, 9068 said:

Anyone but me think that Chris Wolfe may be in line to become the next head coach at Trinity? He's proven himself by being able to compete with them. He knows the area as Male is a magnet school right? Also, Male plays what I termed a "fastbreak" offense..... because they have some really fast and talented athletes year in and out. Bob Beatty is nearing retirement age at Trinity, and that is a pretty good gig. Also, Wolfe's staff at Male wouldn't just pull up stakes and head to FT. This will be interesting.

Wrong thread.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, TheDeuce said:

An interesting point, but Trinity's next coaching search will be a national one, I'd imagine. 

Why? Isn’t there enough qualified coaches in Ky? Seems that just because T is looking for a new coach that everyone isn’t going to just quit their good jobs to come running. 

Please help me understand?

7 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

Why? Isn’t there enough qualified coaches in Ky? Seems that just because T is looking for a new coach that everyone isn’t going to just quit their good jobs to come running. 

😂 😂 😂 

Simple. 

Trinity > Highlands

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

Their last two HC came from out of state. One of which ended up at IMG after a stop in IN. Beatty came from Missouri. Both coached on the college level before and Wright is at IU now. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, barrel said:

Their last two HC came from out of state. One of which ended up at IMG after a stop in IN. Beatty came from Missouri. Both coached on the college level before and Wright is at IU now. 

Whooo, that gives Highlands some hope with Wolfe since he won’t be going to Trinity. 

I don’t see Wolfe going to either one. This isn’t a knock on Wolfe at all I just feel with Trinity’s last two hires they will be looking for someone else. 

I don’t believe Wolfe will end up at HHS. I could be completely wrong but I’d be more surprised if he did than didn’t. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, barrel said:

I don’t see Wolfe going to either one. This isn’t a knock on Wolfe at all I just feel with Trinity’s last two hires they will be looking for someone else. 

I don’t believe Wolfe will end up at HHS. I could be completely wrong but I’d be more surprised if he did than didn’t. 

I'm not disagreeing, but why do you not think he would be interested in the job? 

6 hours ago, BEChargers said:

I'm not disagreeing, but why do you not think he would be interested in the job? 

I don’t really have a list of reasons honestly. At Male of course he has to make it through T every year so switching jobs where it sounds like they would be 4A might be appealing. Wolfe has been a little vocal about the JCPS this season I believe but this season is an outlier in many ways. 

There are of course some appealing reasons I’m sure but are they enough to entice Wolfe to come. I’m just not sure that there are.  I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some reasons that either he wouldn’t want to come or would want to come that many of us just aren’t aware of. 

This is a pretty big hire I feel for HHS. If they were to get Wolfe and it doesn’t workout the way either party really want/thought it would then I think the job becomes less appealing to many. I don’t know where the next coach will come from. It’s an unique job that will require a special type of person. 

• Like 1