Open Job: Highlands

theguru

Anyone but me think that Chris Wolfe may be in line to become the next head coach at Trinity? He's proven himself by being able to compete with them. He knows the area as Male is a magnet school right? Also, Male plays what I termed a "fastbreak" offense..... because they have some really fast and talented athletes year in and out. Bob Beatty is nearing retirement age at Trinity, and that is a pretty good gig. Also, Wolfe's staff at Male wouldn't just pull up stakes and head to FT. This will be interesting.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, barrel said:

Douglas will be 6A unless something crazy happens. 

I don’t know how true this is but my understating is JC would of been 5A. Highlands at 4A wanted to play up so that gives the lower end 5A teams the chance to move down. So JC ended up in 4A because Highlands wanted to be 5A. I don’t know how true that is completely and I’m sure other factors played into it. 

Someone mentioned vocational school numbers and I’ve heard this before also. I have no real frame of reference and I’m asking more because I want to learn more. Are their schools where their vocational school numbers do not count toward their athletic numbers for some reason?

The whole coaching search and everything that happens afterwards is going to be interesting. With all the Covid restrictions coming in and getting to work is going to be tough. If summer workouts are affected again then an incoming staff is going to have their work cutout for them. 

I’ve also wondered if style will be a factor.  How receptive or open would Highlands be to say a wing-t, wishbone, flexbone or similar style? Even an I formation or under center prostyle offense. 

I would hope not. Obviously the first goal as a coach is to win, but player development and making sure the kids can succeed playing in college (whether that is D1 or D3) is probably a close number 2. Running that style of offense really does a disservice to the kids IMO and doesn't help them develop as players. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Anyone but me think that Chris Wolfe may be in line to become the next head coach at Trinity? He's proven himself by being able to compete with them. He knows the area as Male is a magnet school right? Also, Male plays what I termed a "fastbreak" offense..... because they have some really fast and talented athletes year in and out. Bob Beatty is nearing retirement age at Trinity, and that is a pretty good gig. Also, Wolfe's staff at Male wouldn't just pull up stakes and head to FT. This will be interesting.

An interesting point, but Trinity's next coaching search will be a national one, I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

I would hope not. Obviously the first goal as a coach is to win, but player development and making sure the kids can succeed playing in college (whether that is D1 or D3) is probably a close number 2. Running that style of offense really does a disservice to the kids IMO and doesn't help them develop as players. 

Several key words here, “player development” and “making sure the kids can succeed”.  Think that has been lacking the last few years.  Someone also mentioned adapting your offense to your talent aka not fitting square pegs in round holes.  I would also hope that new coach abandons the two platoon system as well unless the personnel supports doing that.  Again something that took 7 years for the prior staff to figure out.

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Ha, no there really is. I wasn't joking about Eddie is coming to Highlands. That is just the only farm I know of in Fort Thomas, Crowell Ave. Not a real farm, more of a big yard with farm animals.

I quoted the wrong person-I am aware of the farm and I have been there. Sorry, my man.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barrel said:

When you say targets does that mean you feel HHS is reaching out to coaches or do you say targets as in individuals that the fan base would like to see? 

I asked this before and didn’t get an answer. Is style of play a factor? Would the  individuals doing the hiring consider someone that runs say the flexbone, wing-t or similar offenses? Groups tend to not care about the defense as long as it prevents points from being scored but offensive style tends to matter with some fan bases/individuals hiring. 

I believe it is essential that the next HC adapt to the clientele. If that means HHS has the players to best run the run a wing-t then they run a wing-t, if that means they have the players to best run 5 wide and sling it like Spurrier then they do that.

One of the biggest frustrations I, and many others, had with the previous staff was not adapting to your players and not putting the players in the best possible situation to win. I am not saying the previous staff didn't want to win or want the players to be successful, but it was clear that there was a stubbornness to adapt to what was put in front of you and unfortunately it resulted in a lot of losses and a lot of players choosing to do other things or go other places. 

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Trinity will go back after Andrew Coverdale if he’s still available. Hearing he might be in line for the next Coach at Cincy St X. Just a rumor.....

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

I certainly don't think there would be many Trinity fans objected to hiring Wolfe once Beatty retires. And assuming Wolfe is still in town, I would say he would be a THE frontrunner from within the state.

As for Wolfe's staff heading to Fort Thomas, should he end up with the Highlands job...I don't know if any will head that way, but regardless, Wolfe has proven that he is able to find and replace great staffers. In the last year, Wolfe lost his offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and an assistant who had been coaching on his staff since 1998...they all left to take their own head coaching jobs. OC Keith Eckloff left for Seneca, DC Daniel McDonald left for Providence in Indiana, and longtime (21 year) assistant Phil Stockdale departed for Nelson County. Coach Wolfe and Male seem to still be fairing decently well in their absence, haha.

Current McCracken County head coach Marc Clark is another who was previously on Wolfe's assistant coaching staff, as is Waggener's head coach Tye Lawson. Wolfe has proven that he is always going to end up with a good coaching staff, and that's a major credit to his ability to see potential when he's hiring.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, THUNDERBIRDS said:

Trinity will go back after Andrew Coverdale if he’s still available. Hearing he might be in line for the next Coach at Cincy St X. Just a rumor.....

He didn't exactly light it up as a head coach. Trinity and St. X probably have a little different talent base than where he had been. 

4 hours ago, THUNDERBIRDS said:

Not so sure about Trinity and Cov.    He hasn't shown any bona fides as a head coach to my knowledge.   He was a heck of an OC at Trinity though and I believe a very good teacher in the class room.

7 hours ago, CCHFC said:

Uh, didn’t Mueller run a variation on a wing-T for a long while in Ft Thomas??

Offensive systems change and evolve, but they all have an element of history to them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CCHFC said:

Why do you feel that those offenses are a disservice or don’t prepare/develop players? I find it interesting this point of view is never directed to a defensive approach. 

It is also interesting that another poster referred to the clientele. I believe they were talking about the players/skills/talents but clientele sends a different message. 

Broken Arrow recently let their HC go someone could always reach out to him. Rich Hargritt would be someone else one could reach out to. If you’re looking for out of state people. Dub Maddox. Heck shoot for the moon and try for Kevin Kelly. If you are looking out of state unless they have KY ties getting someone south of TN would be very hard. In state heck go for Mcpeak. Douglas will move to 6A which means going through T every year. 

Coverdale found out that other schools and players weren’t going to do what T does. He is an amazing teacher. If a school/players aren’t going to buy in them it’s tough. 

Would HHS be willing to give a HC a schedule that allows him to concentrate on football? Put him in the weight room or something similar and make exceptions as far as duties? I have no idea. I just find the whole thing interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barrel said:

Why do you feel that those offenses are a disservice or don’t prepare/develop players? I find it interesting this point of view is never directed to a defensive approach. 

It is also interesting that another poster referred to the clientele. I believe they were talking about the players/skills/talents but clientele sends a different message. 

Broken Arrow recently let their HC go someone could always reach out to him. Rich Hargritt would be someone else one could reach out to. If you’re looking for out of state people. Dub Maddox. Heck shoot for the moon and try for Kevin Kelly. If you are looking out of state unless they have KY ties getting someone south of TN would be very hard. In state heck go for Mcpeak. Douglas will move to 6A which means going through T every year. 

Coverdale found out that other schools and players weren’t going to do what T does. He is an amazing teacher. If a school/players aren’t going to buy in them it’s tough. 

Would HHS be willing to give a HC a schedule that allows him to concentrate on football? Put him in the weight room or something similar and make exceptions as far as duties? I have no idea. I just find the whole thing interesting. 

I’m curious, what do you find interesting?

1 hour ago, Bluebird99 said:

I’m curious, what do you find interesting?

There are a lot of opinions and factors that make it interesting. 

When you look at a number of different top level programs the HC has a job that allows them to spend more time of football. That of course is not the case everywhere but it is a factor. Would/does HHS place a HC in such a position? 

A very passionate fan base is a double edge sword. HHS has a very passionate fan base. Such fan bases can be extremely beneficial but can be detrimental if the coach doesn’t align with certain portions of the fan base. 

That same fan base at times appears to have varying opinions about the talent currently playing and available. Muller did a great job of convincing high school students that football was more important than a car or other distractions. 

The same fan base appears to want a certain style of offense. So if Rick Darlington, Tim Murphy, Rick Stewart, Kelley Lee, or Roger Holmes applied for the job would they want those individuals over some others? Scott Co is one of two or three programs that has won 10 games or more for over 10 years running Belly, Belly Sweep, Tackle Trap, Quick Pitch and Power. 

HHS is one of the top in all time wins which I believe Male and Valdosta HS but how many people know that or can name the top 5 without googling it? When a person goes through each state how many of the top programs can they name? How many can name the winningest program in each state?

The combination of factors between expectations, and environmental factors make it a very interesting scenario. One doesn’t see all the different combinations on a regular basis. Maybe the word is intriguing instead of interesting though they can mean the same thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, barrel said:

There are a lot of opinions and factors that make it interesting. 

When you look at a number of different top level programs the HC has a job that allows them to spend more time of football. That of course is not the case everywhere but it is a factor. Would/does HHS place a HC in such a position? 

A very passionate fan base is a double edge sword. HHS has a very passionate fan base. Such fan bases can be extremely beneficial but can be detrimental if the coach doesn’t align with certain portions of the fan base. 

That same fan base at times appears to have varying opinions about the talent currently playing and available. Muller did a great job of convincing high school students that football was more important than a car or other distractions. 

The same fan base appears to want a certain style of offense. So if Rick Darlington, Tim Murphy, Rick Stewart, Kelley Lee, or Roger Holmes applied for the job would they want those individuals over some others? Scott Co is one of two or three programs that has won 10 games or more for over 10 years running Belly, Belly Sweep, Tackle Trap, Quick Pitch and Power. 

HHS is one of the top in all time wins which I believe Male and Valdosta HS but how many people know that or can name the top 5 without googling it? When a person goes through each state how many of the top programs can they name? How many can name the winningest program in each state?

The combination of factors between expectations, and environmental factors make it a very interesting scenario. One doesn’t see all the different combinations on a regular basis. Maybe the word is intriguing instead of interesting though they can mean the same thing. 

Killed it. 

• Like 1