Open Job: Highlands

theguru

1 hour ago, gbballfan21 said:

No one said you couldn't mention names. My whole point is that why would a good coach in a good situation leave to go to Highlands at this moment in time? This isnt 6-7 years ago. And whether you like it or not, there is an overwhelming perception across the state that your fan base is a little unrealistic. And coaches are very in tune to that in todays coaching climate. If you don't believe me, fine, could care less. Its my opinion and I am sticking to it. (For reference--some of the names that have been thrown out are like a who's who list of never going to happen or at least not real likely). 

With that said, Brandon Smith sounds like a great move. A proven winner who has won his own championship, who was independent enough to strike out on his own (and it appears that he did while trying not to trade on his Fathers success).

Off the top of my head, it reminds me of Justin Haddix going to Corbin.

I just come from the school of thought that, being realistic and having a true understanding of where things are, give Highlands their best chance to get the best coach for their situation. Gino, Tommy B, etc are not walking through the door ..best to focus on realistic options.

I actually think right now is the best time to come to Highlands to be head coach maybe all time best. Reasons:

1. Highlands football program is a top 10 program in high school football history. Nationally. 2nd most wins nationally. 20+ state championships. The community has supported generations and decades upon decades of winning hs football. That is still there. 

2. Whoever is the new coach could be the guy to guide Highlands to most wins in national history. It might take him 12 years but it’s not that far away. 

3. Don’t have to follow Coach Mueller. Coach Weinrich has taken that burden and that probably got to him at least on some level. Coach Weinrich is a great coach and a great guy.

4. Who ever steps in has a clean slate and can do things their way, without too many complaints. Yes, you have to run around the goal post and you can’t change the uniforms. But the old way is out and the program needs a fresh start. 

5. Talent is there/ not there?? It might have been slightly down the past few years but there are enough athletes in those halls to get the job done. The next few years look pretty good and there is veteran QB with two years left. Plus x highlands stars from the 90s era like Phil Shearer and Scott Kuhnhein have a bunch of sons about to come up into the the program in the next 5-7 years. Lorenzen’s son is a 6th grader I think? 

6. Great facilities, great town to raise a family. That isn’t unique to this exact time but it is nice. 

If you think Highlands fans are unrealistic you’re wrong.  Look at our history, the state championships are real, really real. And they were there before Dale. There is a standard. You don’t have to win a state championship every year. You just have to do everything you can do to win a state championship every year. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Why would he leave Boyle for Highlands?

Duffy was winning state championships for Danville and took the job. Highlands was in a similar state as now. Not everyone gets it, but Highlands is rocket ship of a program with the right guy behind the wheel. You have a good point though Boyle is a really good program that has actually really elevated even further in the past 5 years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I actually think right now is the best time to come to Highlands to be head coach maybe all time best. Reasons:

1. Highlands football program is a top 10 program in high school football history. Nationally. 2nd most wins nationally. 20+ state championships. The community has supported generations and decades upon decades of winning hs football. That is still there. 

2. Whoever is the new coach could be the guy to guide Highlands to most wins in national history. It might take him 12 years but it’s not that far away. 

3. Don’t have to follow Coach Mueller. Coach Weinrich has taken that burden and that probably got to him at least on some level. Coach Weinrich is a great coach and a great guy.

4. Who ever steps in has a clean slate and can do things their way, without too many complaints. Yes, you have to run around the goal post and you can’t change the uniforms. But the old way is out and the program needs a fresh start. 

5. Talent is there/ not there?? It might have been slightly down the past few years but there are enough athletes in those halls to get the job done. The next few years look pretty good and there is veteran QB with two years left. Plus x highlands stars from the 90s era like Phil Shearer and Scott Kuhnhein have a bunch of sons about to come up into the the program in the next 5-7 years. Lorenzen’s son is a 6th grader I think? 

6. Great facilities, great town to raise a family. That isn’t unique to this exact time but it is nice. 

If you think Highlands fans are unrealistic you’re wrong.  Look at our history, the state championships are real, really real. And they were there before Dale. There is a standard. You don’t have to win a state championship every year. You just have to do everything you can do to win a state championship every year. 

Well said, well said. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Why would he leave Boyle for Highlands?

I know didn’t ask me but I’ll play. 

Depends on what the coach is looking for in his career. The triState area opens up much larger geographical opportunities and the name Highlands on your resume certainly doesn’t hurt. 

I just don’t think BC and Highlands can be compared in the same sense. JMO but I think Highlands is a better job. BC is a very respected program but they are not Highlands. 

Yes, they destroyed Highlands this year and yes they are very good and very well coached but 20+ yrs of success doesn’t equal 100 yrs unless your name is T. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

So you don't believe BW was doing that?

Brycen Huddleston cannot stand on the Sidelines for 30 Offensive plays per game but Kids in 2020 can find their way playing both ways. Come on! In the Conner playoff game last year Brycen had 8 catches for 80 yards in the 1st half. Didn't play Offense other to Block Mayer in the CCH game all year.

How many touches on Offense did he have the 2nd half outside of Special teams in the Conner playoff game? Zero! So yes, Brian wasn't doing everything in his power to Improve his team at all Costs. Just my Opinion!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

So you don't believe BW was doing that?

With Brian it's kind of complicated. He did that for 20 years as an assistant and was a great #2 for the program during probably it's best years. I believe he did that as a head coach initially but I think being a head coach and the weight of the job skewed his priorities possibly? Maybe he was over cautious about making everybody happy? Maybe his strategy for delegating to assistant coaches was flawed? I have no idea, I wasn't in that locker room. I can tell you he was a great coach when I had him as a coach, I'd run through a brick wall for him. Maybe it was never being a head coach before and then having to follow legend?  I wish nothing but the best for Brian, I would guess where ever he goes next he is successful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me personally, I think it’s time to move on from the BW debate. 

He did the best he could, he is a very good person, teacher and D coordinator. Believe it or not I like Brian, I just don’t agree with his leadership skills of this storied program and his inability to maintain the level of success required to stay on top.
I appreciate everything he did for my two sons and they and my family feel the same. 

I have no idea what this man is feeling right now and I can’t even imagine. Because it is Highlands, a certain spotlight is put on the program, when they win it’s because they are supposed to win, when they lose and lose big they fall big and someone has to take the blame and that person is the head coach. 

He has been beat up on here repeatedly over the years by many including myself being his biggest one if not his biggest  critic. I probably did this because I knew BW was better than the outcomes, the scores or records but he feel behind and couldn’t recover and there is nothing shameful about walking away with his head held high in light of the circumstances. 

I know this is easy for me to say but I hope he doesn’t feel defeated or feel like he has failed himself, he did everything to the best of his abilities and has many accomplishments to be proud of but unfortunately at Highlands it’s business and enough is never enough.

I wish him the best and hope to see him and his assistants coaching again soon.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

For me personally, I think it’s time to move on from the BW debate. 

He did the best he could, he is a very good person, teacher and D coordinator. Believe it or not I like Brian, I just don’t agree with his leadership skills of this storied program and his inability to maintain the level of success required to stay on top.
I appreciate everything he did for my two sons and they and my family feel the same. 

I have no idea what this man is feeling right now and I can’t even imagine. Because it is Highlands, a certain spotlight is put on the program, when they win it’s because they are supposed to win, when they lose and lose big they fall big and someone has to take the blame and that person is the head coach. 

He has been beat up on here repeatedly over the years by many including myself being his biggest one if not his biggest  critic. I probably did this because I knew BW was better than the outcomes, the scores or records but he feel behind and couldn’t recover and there is nothing shameful about walking away with his head held high in light of the circumstances. 

I know this is easy for me to say but I hope he doesn’t feel defeated or feel like he has failed himself, he did everything to the best of his abilities and has many accomplishments to be proud of but unfortunately at Highlands it’s business and enough is never enough.

I wish him the best and hope to see him and his assistants coaching again soon.

Well said buddy, as a CCH guy.

11 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

I know didn’t ask me but I’ll play. 

Depends on what the coach is looking for in his career. The triState area opens up much larger geographical opportunities and the name Highlands on your resume certainly doesn’t hurt. 

I just don’t think BC and Highlands can be compared in the same sense. JMO but I think Highlands is a better job. BC is a very respected program but they are not Highlands. 

Yes, they destroyed Highlands this year and yes they are very good and very well coached but 20+ yrs of success doesn’t equal 100 yrs unless your name is T. 

In my opinion money talks. Highlands pays $9300 Boyle pays $15,000-$18,000 depending on length of service at a KHSAA member school. Danville is also a great town to raise a family, Boyle schools rank right there with Highlands as far as academics and cost of living is a bit cheaper. I think there is a good argument for Boyle being as good if not a better job than Highlands. 

• Like 5