Mask or No Mask

Voice of Reason

Mask or No Mask  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Mask or No Mask

• Mask
    • No Mask

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2020 at 09:49 PM

10 minutes ago, theguru said:

What I hear you saying is you will need a digital certificate of your yearly flu vaccination to get into a sporting event.  Do you think that will happen on the high school level too?

I don’t see why not. We all have our phones on us 24/7 anyways. It’s like flying nowadays. Most people have their boarding passes on their phone. It’s as simple as opening your phone and pulling up your certificate. I guess you could have a paper copy of your certificate at all times as well but just pulling it up on your phone is certainly easier. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it personally. It’s not really any specific medical history stuff when everyone else has it as well. Maybe I’m taking it to the extreme, I just don’t really feel like we’re going back to what everyone was pre Covid. Some things are here to stay and I think mandatory vaccinations for things like Covid and the flu should be part of everyday life going forward. I’ve been fortunate to not have Covid (too my knowledge. But I had the flu two winters ago and anything to keep me feeling like that again, I’m totally for. Everyone getting vaccinated dramatically increases that possibility. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

What I hear you saying is you will need a digital certificate of your yearly flu vaccination to get into a sporting event.  Do you think that will happen on the high school level too?

Flu is not apples to apples here.  We've never had to go to such lengths before, why would we now for the flu?  

1 hour ago, John Anthony said:

Flu is not apples to apples here.  We've never had to go to such lengths before, why would we now for the flu?  

I don’t know how you feel JA, but if we can take what we’re going to do with Covid as far as vaccinations and apply it to the flu so we can dramatically decrease the number of flu victims every year I’m all for it. Obviously,  the flu isn’t as bad as Covid but it’s still a big issue in normal years. Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone. 

2 hours ago, theguru said:

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. 

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Some are STILL trying to equate this to the flu, astoundingly enough. 

I am saying since we know the flu is more deadly to children the natural next step for the "COVID digital certificate crowd" is to have a flu digital certificate for sports involving minors. 

Honestly I think if the flu was brand new like Covid was, it would in fact be similar.  Folks have had the flu in the past, have antibodies etc.  Doctors know more about the flu and how to treat it.  If it just emerged for the first time this year, it would be a nightmare similar to Covid IMO.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan41 said:

Honestly I think if the flu was brand new like Covid was, it would in fact be similar.  Folks have had the flu in the past, have antibodies etc.  Doctors know more about the flu and how to treat it.  If it just emerged for the first time this year, it would be a nightmare similar to Covid IMO.  

No needs for a flu digital vax certificate today though.

27 minutes ago, theguru said:

Agree because apparently the flu has disappeared this year in America. 

Wouldn’t you say that this is kind of proof that masks work in at least some regard? Obviously it’s not perfect, but it definitely helps a lot. 

• Like 3

The flu season was predicted to be relatively weak months before our general flu season hit, COVID or not. As I gathered, the flu life cycle starts in other parts of the world annually and makes its way here during the Fall. The flu season in other parts of the world (during the Summer) was not all that strong.

But lets not overthink this here. The less you are around people that have the flu, the less of a chance you are to contract it. Crowds are smaller and people aren't out as much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bugatti said:

But lets not overthink this here. The less you are around people that have the flu, the less of a chance you are to contract it. Crowds are smaller and people aren't out as much.

Not to mention, we never talk about the flu anyway unless it's a particularly bad year. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Not to mention, we never talk about the flu anyway unless it's a particularly bad year. 

And I think the fundamental and natural question is, should we be treating it with more caution in years it is bad? COVID is much worse than the flu. To argue otherwise is silly. But, if there is a bad flu season upon us, I know I will not look cross-eyed at people any longer if I see someone wearing a mask out in public as they have been doing in Asian cultures for years. Some simple mitigation techniques can go a long way. People might be more reluctant to go to work if they are feeling ill, which is a good thing.

• Like 3

Arizona currently has the highest per-capita rate of new Covid-19 infections, with 785 cases per 100,000 people over the past seven days. That rate not only leads the U.S., but is the highest in the world, according to NBC News data. For comparison, the Czech Republic, the country with the highest per-capita rate of infection, has reported 653 cases per 100,000 over the past seven days.

Rhode Island and California also have higher per-capita rates of infection than any other country. Over the past seven days, Rhode Island reported 671 new cases per 100,000, and California had 658 per 100,000.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/these-three-states-have-worst-covid-infection-rates-anywhere-world-n1252861

We'll see where these numbers settle. Rhode Island and California have mask mandates state wide. Arizona has no state mask mandates but the major municipalities do. I'm really hoping the masks start working better because everyone, everywhere is wearing them. I'm not too confident though.