Mask or No Mask

Voice of Reason

Mask or No Mask  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Mask or No Mask

• Mask
    • No Mask

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2020 at 09:49 PM

1 minute ago, Kentucky Windage said:

I'm really hoping the masks start working better because everyone, everywhere is wearing them. I'm not too confident though. 

No they aren't. Just because there are mandates doesn't mean people follow them. We've seen that from the beginning. 

Even if we pretend everyone is wearing them in public, they definitely are not wearing them in private gatherings. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:
We'll see where these numbers settle. Rhode Island and California have mask mandates state wide. Arizona has no state mask mandates but the major municipalities do. I'm really hoping the masks start working better because everyone, everywhere is wearing them. I'm not too confident though. 

Out in public I feel people do a solid job wearing masks. The overwhelming majority of spread is social gatherings (I think I saw 78% somewhere, but not sure where that was). I think most people have drawn a line that if they are around family/friends, in a small setting, masks aren't being worn.

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

No they aren't. Just because there are mandates doesn't mean people follow them. We've seen that from the beginning. 

Even if we pretend everyone is wearing them in public, they definitely are not wearing them in private gatherings. 

Everywhere I've been, masks have been on. I'm just not buying the masks help a lot argument still. Our state and national numbers would be a lot better otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Everywhere I've been, masks have been on. I'm just not buying the masks help a lot argument still. Our state and national numbers would be a lot better otherwise. 

Like I said, even if we pretend everyone is wearing masks in public, they are still gathering  on their own and not wearing masks which completely defeats the purpose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Not to mention, we never talk about the flu anyway unless it's a particularly bad year. 

31 minutes ago, bugatti said:

And I think the fundamental and natural question is, should we be treating it with more caution in years it is bad? COVID is much worse than the flu. To argue otherwise is silly. But, if there is a bad flu season upon us, I know I will not look cross-eyed at people any longer if I see someone wearing a mask out in public as they have been doing in Asian cultures for years. Some simple mitigation techniques can go a long way. People might be more reluctant to go to work if they are feeling ill, which is a good thing.

The fact that we deal with seasonal flu pandemics on a much smaller scale & without extreme interventions, is the end game with Covid.  However, we aren’t even close to that type of progress with Covid.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Like I said, even if we pretend everyone is wearing masks in public, they are still gathering  on their own and not wearing masks which completely defeats the purpose. 

Then all sports athletes, pro all the way down to instructional should be wearing masks when they're playing or shutdown completely. Kansas sent a guy on the court against UK that had symptoms but I guess tested negative before the game. Still seems insensitive given what has transpired over the course of this year. 

Seems maybe some are taking this more seriously then others. We get to watch our celebs and athletes carry on, but I can't get my kids in a classroom while wearing a mask. It would seem some others need to feel the weight and responsibility but selfishly they get to carry on. Too many inconsistencies... it irritating to watch sports right now knowing my kids can't even get in a classroom while wearing a mask. I don't need to lecture anyone on how well my 10 and 7 year old are doing with tech based learning. We all know that tech based learning is failing across the country.

As far as mask wearing in private, that will never be controlled. Never. 

2 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

As far as mask wearing on private, that will never be controlled. Never. 

Right. Which is why you can't say "there are masks mandates and the masks aren't working" because everyone knows people don't wear them during non-public gatherings. 

Pre 2020 

-The flu was an issue 

-Covid is an issue 

-We have mask mandates 

-Covid is still a problem but we have no idea how much bigger of an issue that it would be without masks at all 

- The Flu isn’t an issue 

So the flu which in normal years is a big issue. The flu is not as bad as Covid but is spread in the same manner. I don’t see how people can logically say in the same breath that the flu not being a problem isn’t almost definitive proof that masks clearly mitigate a lot of the risks of contagious airborne diseases. The proof is right in front of you. Masks work. Nobody is saying they’re perfect. But if you can’t extrapolate the data on the flu this year and the extra precautions we are taking to prevent a very similar but more impactful disease and not come to the conclusion that these precautions are clearly mitigating the risks, I don’t know what to say. It’s as baffling to me as someone saying the answer to 1+1 is 3. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Then all sports athletes, pro all the way down to instructional should be wearing masks when they're playing or shutdown completely. Kansas sent a guy on the court against UK that had symptoms but I guess tested negative before the game. Still seems insensitive given what has transpired over the course of this year. 

Seems maybe some are taking this more seriously then others. We get to watch our celebs and athletes carry on, but I can't get my kids in a classroom while wearing a mask. It would seem some others need to feel the weight and responsibility but selfishly they get to carry on. Too many inconsistencies... it irritating to watch sports right now knowing my kids can't even get in a classroom while wearing a mask. I don't need to lecture anyone on how well my 10 and 7 year old are doing with tech based learning. We all know that tech based learning is failing across the country.

As far as mask wearing in private, that will never be controlled. Never. 

As I have said, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing. Pro sports are their own animal able to control their environments (somewhat) and pay through the roof for testing and bubblish type setups. Same for Hollywood. Those with money and perks getting preferential treatment? That headline was written eons ago.

But yes, some of the rules are confounding. Still doesn't mean mitigation techniques don't work or at least partly help. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Pre 2020 

-The flu was an issue 

-Covid is an issue 

-We have mask mandates 

-Covid is still a problem but we have no idea how much bigger of an issue that it would be without masks at all 

- The Flu isn’t an issue 

So the flu which in normal years is a big issue. The flu is not as bad as Covid but is spread in the same manner. I don’t see how people can logically say in the same breath that the flu not being a problem isn’t almost definitive proof that masks clearly mitigate a lot of the risks of contagious airborne diseases. The proof is right in front of you. Masks work. Nobody is saying they’re perfect. But if you can’t extrapolate the data on the flu this year and the extra precautions we are taking to prevent a very similar but more impactful disease and not come to the conclusion that these precautions are clearly mitigating the risks, I don’t know what to say. It’s as baffling to me as someone saying the answer to 1+1 is 3. 

Well for one, you can't say it's a weak flu season and say that masks work because look at the low flu numbers in the same breathe either. 

26 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Pre 2020 

-The flu was an issue 

-Covid is an issue 

-We have mask mandates 

- The Flu isn’t an issue 

In 12-24 months Covid will be like flu, present but preventable and somewhat controlled.  Until then we have to mask up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Well for one, you can't say it's a weak flu season and say that masks work because look at the low flu numbers in the same breathe either. 

It’s an extremely weak flu season. We are wearing masks and social distancing. You don’t believe that there’s a correlation between these two events? 

Weak flu season... as in the flu strain is weak this year. We don't have a clue if masks are effective with the flu because we have no idea of how prevalent the flu strain is. 

We do know that Covid is prevalent. We know that at a minimum in public settings masks are being worn nearly religiously. Yet numbers are climbing everywhere. We can blame spread on the private setting all we want but Covid is making its way in the private setting despite distancing orders, work from home, distance learning, and masks.

I don't think you can sell the effectiveness on masks based on low flu numbers while Covid runs rampant. 

36 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Weak flu season... as in the flu strain is weak this year. We don't have a clue if masks are effective with the flu because we have no idea of how prevalent the flu strain is. 

We do know that Covid is prevalent. We know that at a minimum in public settings masks are being worn nearly religiously. Yet numbers are climbing everywhere. We can blame spread on the private setting all we want but Covid is making its way in the private setting despite distancing orders, work from home, distance learning, and masks.

I don't think you can sell the effectiveness on masks based on low flu numbers while Covid runs rampant. 

You say people are wearing masks religiously. Generally speaking, what percentage of time do you think people are wearing masks, including in public and not in public?

1 hour ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Weaker flu strain. It’s a weak flu season in general because of the other precautions being taken to prevent Covid. We’ve never seen flu numbers like this before. It’s just a mere coincidence that in the year of Covid that we have record breakingly low flu numbers? I don’t know about that one brother. 

• Like 1