Mascots and nicknames

On 7/4/2020 at 8:32 PM, gchs_uk9 said:

As @BEChargers said, the senior class voted for Rebels. They actually didn’t adopt a nickname until well into the first school year. In fact, old newspapers reference Boyle’s first game in 1963 (with Greensburg, I believe) and state that they did not have a team or mascot at the time. Just a little info - no way a school would be created today without a mascot beforehand. 

On 7/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

I only know this story because of where it originated. Most people familiar with the Boyle county program know the first football program started with the majority of kids from Perryville. I can say that when this team traveled to their first game as Boyle county, it is 100% correct that they did not, in fact, have a mascot. When the team captain was asked who they were, he responded with "ah were just a bunch of rebels'' and the name stuck moving forward. I have spoken to this man before and heard him tell that story many times, including the fact that he meant rebel as in rebellious youth like James Dean. So the name did not start with anything to do with the confederate army. During times throughout history, people lose sight of why things were started, and I would say that this is what happened in the 80's period mentioned above. I believe that the sins of our fathers shouldn't be the sins of our sons. So I think that given the original intent, the name should stay and have a reworking of anything that resembles a soldier or any confederates. Every person here has been the type of rebel this football program represents, and I hope never the kind that some of those in our past thought it represented. We need to continue to move forward but not at the cost of losing sight of something that began innocently and was corrupted by a bad few. Boyle was rebellious in 1999 when a small county school shocked the KHSAA and have continued to do so ever since. I think that is what being a Rebel represents as we were "never" meant to be in that game by the traditional sense of things. Anyway, you have not made this community member mad as everyone is entitled to their opinions, and we can always agree to disagree and still be friends.

This article from October 6, 1963 states that the school ordered their first senior class rings the week prior, and that the rings include "the school name "Rebels" for the high school athletes."

The_Advocate_Messenger_Sun__Oct_6__1963_.thumb.jpg.eab94257eff62985d86bff4c224602da.jpg

• Thanks 1

As of this article September 15, 1963 the students were calling their team "The Rebels." The article also states that they were "still without an official nickname". So the students apparently chose the mascot and the school made it official somewhere between September 15th and October 6th in 1963.

Also notable, they opted against the "Boyle County Brigadiers" in order to go with the "Boyle County Rebels" - connotations and denotations aside, I think "Boyle County Brigadiers" sounds way better than "Boyle County Rebels."

The_Advocate_Messenger_Sun__Sep_15__1963_.thumb.jpg.3c55aacff47d184bcad579803140cbf6.jpg

Just want to put this idea out there for any Holy Cross (Covington) faithful that if it gets to the point that you decide to ditch your present mascot name, and considering that you’re a Catholic school, my first instinct would be to name you the Holy Cross Saints. It just has a ring to it for me, and seems to make sense. I imagine that other ideas might be just as good, but for now this is the one that keeps swirling around in my mind. 

18 minutes ago, B-Ball-fan said:

Just want to put this idea out there for any Holy Cross (Covington) faithful that if it gets to the point that you decide to ditch your present mascot name, and considering that you’re a Catholic school, my first instinct would be to name you the Holy Cross Saints. It just has a ring to it for me, and seems to make sense. I imagine that other ideas might be just as good, but for now this is the one that keeps swirling around in my mind. 

Even more so since Holy Cross now plays football at Thomas More.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, B-Ball-fan said:

For Holy Cross, I'd go with a play on HC/CH:
- Holy Cross Crimson Hawks
- Holy Cross Hairless Cats
- Holy Cross Heavy Cavalry
- Holy Cross Hepcats
- Holy Cross Hermit Crabs
- Holy Cross Howling Coyotes
- Holy Cross Humpback Camels

• Haha 2

On 7/15/2020 at 11:26 AM, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

The main point that I was making is that there is plenty of so called evidence out there that the intent had nothing to do with confederacy. So my question is why isn't the original intent taken into consideration? I am not advocating either way as I will support Boyle football and sports no matter the decision and I would never in my life want anything like our mascot to cause someone else pain and suffering. So let me ask this in a different way if there was concrete evidence that the name had nothing to do with the confederacy would that matter in any decision for it to be changed? and I am not saying your opinion BEChargers I am just saying in general would it be an issue if there was proof? I want to reiterate that I am asking this question to continue the conversation and I am again in no way advocating in either direction for the name to stay or go.

I stated that I had heard about 5 origin stories.  Only one of them had anything to do with the confederacy and it seemed the least likely to be true.  So I actually do not think the intent was to connect it to that.  You asked if that would matter and to me it doesn't.  Because there is a bunch of evidence and connection for several years.  I have NOT seen evidence that it ever was the intent.  If it was one or two classes that had a connection maybe we condemn those actions and move on but it went on for several years.  It actually hurts me to think of my team no longer being the name it has always been.  So my answer is no, I do not think the intent was a connection to the confederacy, but no it doesn't change my opinion.  I should also say that I don't speak for anyone else except for me.  Who cares about my opinion anyway? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldgrappler said:

I like what I am seeing between @Rebel and @TheDeuce.  It's an honest disagreement and each are willing to admit if they are wrong.  Facts do matter and both gentlemen are willing to accept the facts when known.  

I should go ahead and apologize to @Rebelregardless of what the outcome turns out to be. I said he was “100% wrong” when I didn’t have the proof in my own hands. Lesson learned. My apologies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

As of this article September 15, 1963 the students were calling their team "The Rebels." The article also states that they were "still without an official nickname". So the students apparently chose the mascot and the school made it official somewhere between September 15th and October 6th in 1963.

Also notable, they opted against the "Boyle County Brigadiers" in order to go with the "Boyle County Rebels" - connotations and denotations aside, I think "Boyle County Brigadiers" sounds way better than "Boyle County Rebels."

The_Advocate_Messenger_Sun__Sep_15__1963_.thumb.jpg.3c55aacff47d184bcad579803140cbf6.jpg

If they have to change the mascot this 100% should be the way they go... Brigadiers would be awesome.

Keep the colors the same but have the helmets reads "BRIGS" instead of "REBELS"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

I should go ahead and apologize to @Rebelregardless of what the outcome turns out to be. I said he was “100% wrong” when I didn’t have the proof in my own hands. Lesson learned. My apologies. 

@TheDeuce Your apology is excepted my friend!    It was a honest discussion between two adults that didn’t result between name calling and fighting.  Our country could be a better place without all the divisions that are troubling our country.  I’ve pretty much already turned the news off as I don’t need the added stress with some issues I am currently battling in my private life. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 1:03 AM, BEChargers said:

I stated that I had heard about 5 origin stories.  Only one of them had anything to do with the confederacy and it seemed the least likely to be true.  So I actually do not think the intent was to connect it to that.  You asked if that would matter and to me it doesn't.  Because there is a bunch of evidence and connection for several years.  I have NOT seen evidence that it ever was the intent.  If it was one or two classes that had a connection maybe we condemn those actions and move on but it went on for several years.  It actually hurts me to think of my team no longer being the name it has always been.  So my answer is no, I do not think the intent was a connection to the confederacy, but no it doesn't change my opinion.  I should also say that I don't speak for anyone else except for me.  Who cares about my opinion anyway? 

Thanks for the reply, and I care about your opinion and everyone else. That is what makes this country so great and something we have gotten too far from, which is that we can debate and still be good when the debate is over. I understand your point that there was a period when it was used to represent something that you and I and many others do not agree with. That is why I care about your opinion and respect it because I do not like that my team/school would be associated with anything relating to being proud of the confederacy. Anyway, I know you think you have upset many with your beliefs, so I will leave you with this. We have always had a saying "once a rebel, always a rebel," but I am going to change it for all my fellow Boyle football alum "once a brother always a brother." Regardless of class, age, race, sex, and any I forgot, if you put on a Boyle County football jersey, we will always be brothers because that right was earned through blood sweat and tears.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

Received this in a text this afternoon...

In the wake of several colleges and professional sports teams considering a new mascot, it's beyond time for Somerset High School to assess their own mascot. Briar Jumper? Oh so you're just going to discriminate against thorns, sticker bushes, and cockleburs? And don't get me started on the alienation of those who opt to skip, hop, vault, spring, leap, or bound instead of jump. It's 2020 Somerset. Wake up. 

🐇

Funny you mention this, as I was thinking of different team names in KY recently and thought Briar Jumpers would be the safest! It''s a rabbit....