Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mascots and nicknames

Featured Replies

35 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Thank you. I'm glad some people get it. 

I get it because I live it.  It's gets old hearing your culture and history get trivialized, and twisted around for some to have fun with at costume parties, or during football games.  In the effort of trying to fit in, It took me a long time to realize why all the older folks in my family would get worked up about these things.

  • Replies 78
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I should go ahead and apologize to @Rebelregardless of what the outcome turns out to be. I said he was “100% wrong” when I didn’t have the proof in my own hands. Lesson learned. My apologies. 

  • @TheDeuce Your apology is excepted my friend!    It was a honest discussion between two adults that didn’t result between name calling and fighting.  Our country could be a better place without all th

  • Tigerpride94
    Tigerpride94

    Become a star wars rebel that was against the empire. Somebody can be a jedi at the games as the mascot.

Posted Images

9 teams in the state have an Indian name, mascot, or logo.

15 teams have the name rebels or colonels. 9 of those have the traditional southern logo. 

Technically, a Rebel can be anyone who rebels against anything.  Rebellions happened centuries before the Civil War.  Obviously most mascots have a southern connotation, so I can see why African American students might not be comfortable representing their school as a Rebel.  Maybe the mascot can evolve into something more politically correct, and still be a Rebel.  I am not creative enough to know what that would be.
 

I am very glad our mascot is a Tiger.  I can certainly understand the reluctance to want to change.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:12 PM, I gotta go to work said:

9 teams in the state have an Indian name, mascot, or logo.

15 teams have the name rebels or colonels. 9 of those have the traditional southern logo. 

Thanks for the info.

I was having a conversation about this will a non-high school sports guy recently and we specifically talked about the term Pirate.  From the Great Google Machine:

A pirate is a seaman, robber who attacks, seizes or destroys any ship at high seas and sometimes even harbors at the shore. Besides that, they were involved in many other illegal activates like smuggling and slave trades. The pirates are doing that for personal interest, without any legal rights.

================

If we are going to make schools change their mascots/nicknames surely the Belfry Pirates will have to walk the plank. 

On 7/4/2020 at 1:19 AM, BEChargers said:

     Ok, since I've angered most of my Alma-mater I might as well let the rest of the high school football world tell me how wrong I am.  Boyle county high school opened in 1963.  It has been told by the school that the nickname for the new school was down to the Brigadiers and the Rebels and the Sr. class voted and chose the Rebels.  I do not know if there was an official rendering of said Rebel or any kind of official mascot.  What I do know is that sometime in the late 70's early 80's a confederate soldier became the official mascot of the Rebels.   One season even had a confederate flag on the sides of the team helmet.  This lasted until the mid 90's when the confederate soldier was abandoned and replaced with a silhouetted man on a horse with a raised sword.  I'll be honest, I'm glad that was done and thought that with the expelling of the confederate soldier that things were fixed.  I have since changed my mind.  Whether or not the confederate soldier was the initial intention or not, (I've heard that is was and I've heard that it wasn't by people who were around at the time), at some point it was officially for several years.  Because of that I think it needs to be changed.  I love Boyle county high school and I love Boyle county football.  I don't think anyone in a while has even thought of the whole confederate connection and that makes this much harder.  Was dropping the soldier mascot to a generic guy enough?  I don't think so, but it's obviously just my opinion and I can promise you my opinion carries very little weight with anyone.  Am I wrong? 

     Before anyone tells me I'm trying to erase history, I'm not.  I'm just trying not to honor a group I don't think needs honoring. 

     Now blast away, it won't hurt my feelings.  Most of the county now hates me but I think it's the right thing to do. 

I only know this story because of where it originated. Most people familiar with the Boyle county program know the first football program started with the majority of kids from Perryville. I can say that when this team traveled to their first game as Boyle county, it is 100% correct that they did not, in fact, have a mascot. When the team captain was asked who they were, he responded with "ah were just a bunch of rebels'' and the name stuck moving forward. I have spoken to this man before and heard him tell that story many times, including the fact that he meant rebel as in rebellious youth like James Dean. So the name did not start with anything to do with the confederate army. During times throughout history, people lose sight of why things were started, and I would say that this is what happened in the 80's period mentioned above. I believe that the sins of our fathers shouldn't be the sins of our sons. So I think that given the original intent, the name should stay and have a reworking of anything that resembles a soldier or any confederates. Every person here has been the type of rebel this football program represents, and I hope never the kind that some of those in our past thought it represented. We need to continue to move forward but not at the cost of losing sight of something that began innocently and was corrupted by a bad few. Boyle was rebellious in 1999 when a small county school shocked the KHSAA and have continued to do so ever since. I think that is what being a Rebel represents as we were "never" meant to be in that game by the traditional sense of things. Anyway, you have not made this community member mad as everyone is entitled to their opinions, and we can always agree to disagree and still be friends.

4 hours ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

I only know this story because of where it originated. Most people familiar with the Boyle county program know the first football program started with the majority of kids from Perryville. I can say that when this team traveled to their first game as Boyle county, it is 100% correct that they did not, in fact, have a mascot. When the team captain was asked who they were, he responded with "ah were just a bunch of rebels'' and the name stuck moving forward. I have spoken to this man before and heard him tell that story many times, including the fact that he meant rebel as in rebellious youth like James Dean. So the name did not start with anything to do with the confederate army. During times throughout history, people lose sight of why things were started, and I would say that this is what happened in the 80's period mentioned above. I believe that the sins of our fathers shouldn't be the sins of our sons. So I think that given the original intent, the name should stay and have a reworking of anything that resembles a soldier or any confederates. Every person here has been the type of rebel this football program represents, and I hope never the kind that some of those in our past thought it represented. We need to continue to move forward but not at the cost of losing sight of something that began innocently and was corrupted by a bad few. Boyle was rebellious in 1999 when a small county school shocked the KHSAA and have continued to do so ever since. I think that is what being a Rebel represents as we were "never" meant to be in that game by the traditional sense of things. Anyway, you have not made this community member mad as everyone is entitled to their opinions, and we can always agree to disagree and still be friends.

Great post Cat Diesel Power!  Thank You for the history lesson that I didn't know about our program.  

#Rebel4Life

@CAT DIESEL POWER, The James Dean movie is also the source of the Boone County Rebels nickname, as I have heard the story told by those who were there when the name was selected.  That story has credibility as the movie was released in 1955 and the school began in 1954.  The first class was polled for a name and it selected "Rebels."  Boone Co HS History

 

Over the years, a southern colonel mascot (Mr. Rebel) was adopted and remained the mascot until 2017 when current Principal Timothy Schlotman (and former track coach) did away with the mascot  and replaced it with the current BC logo.  His reasoning was because many found it offensive to have a mascot that seemed to represent a time in the south that accepted slavery.  He reasoned that given the diverse nature of the student body, which includes many immigrant families, it was best to distance itself from a mascot that many find offensive.  I also heard that he was asked to do so by a prominent alum who spoke at the 2019 graduation.  Because of his respect for her, and given the current cultural atmosphere, he made the decision to change the mascot.  It appeared to be a unilateral decision at the time.  But at any rate, Mr. Rebel became a thing of the past.  

 

My question for those who were offended by the Mr. Rebel mascot or who maybe weren't offended but thought the mascot needed to go because it was offensive to some, do you think it is okay to keep the name "Rebels" or should that also be changed?  Keep in mind that the origin of the name was from the movie "Rebels without a Cause" and NOT the Confederacy.  

(My question is for everyone and not meant solely for @CAT DEISEL POWER)

6 minutes ago, oldgrappler said:

@CAT DIESEL POWER, The James Dean movie is also the source of the Boone County Rebels nickname, as I have heard the story told by those who were there when the name was selected.  That story has credibility as the movie was released in 1955 and the school began in 1954.  The first class was polled for a name and it selected "Rebels."  Boone Co HS History

 

Over the years, a southern colonel mascot (Mr. Rebel) was adopted and remained the mascot until 2017 when current Principal Timothy Schlotman (and former track coach) did away with the mascot  and replaced it with the current BC logo.  His reasoning was because many found it offensive to have a mascot that seemed to represent a time in the south that accepted slavery.  He reasoned that given the diverse nature of the student body, which includes many immigrant families, it was best to distance itself from a mascot that many find offensive.  I also heard that he was asked to do so by a prominent alum who spoke at the 2019 graduation.  Because of his respect for her, and given the current cultural atmosphere, he made the decision to change the mascot.  It appeared to be a unilateral decision at the time.  But at any rate, Mr. Rebel became a thing of the past.  

 

My question for those who were offended by the Mr. Rebel mascot or who maybe weren't offended but thought the mascot needed to go because it was offensive to some, do you think it is okay to keep the name "Rebels" or should that also be changed?  Keep in mind that the origin of the name was from the movie "Rebels without a Cause" and NOT the Confederacy.  

(My question is for everyone and not meant solely for @CAT DEISEL POWER)

That’s tough.  Obviously, fewer and fewer people a readily familiar with the movie.  Throw in the fact that recent history, and the presence of Mr . Rebel, I would say it’s maybe time for the name to just be changed.  If you have to Explain to people or defend why your mascot isn’t potentially offensive, it’s probably not a good mascot.  

  • Author
On 7/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

I only know this story because of where it originated. Most people familiar with the Boyle county program know the first football program started with the majority of kids from Perryville. I can say that when this team traveled to their first game as Boyle county, it is 100% correct that they did not, in fact, have a mascot. When the team captain was asked who they were, he responded with "ah were just a bunch of rebels'' and the name stuck moving forward. I have spoken to this man before and heard him tell that story many times, including the fact that he meant rebel as in rebellious youth like James Dean. So the name did not start with anything to do with the confederate army. During times throughout history, people lose sight of why things were started, and I would say that this is what happened in the 80's period mentioned above. I believe that the sins of our fathers shouldn't be the sins of our sons. So I think that given the original intent, the name should stay and have a reworking of anything that resembles a soldier or any confederates. Every person here has been the type of rebel this football program represents, and I hope never the kind that some of those in our past thought it represented. We need to continue to move forward but not at the cost of losing sight of something that began innocently and was corrupted by a bad few. Boyle was rebellious in 1999 when a small county school shocked the KHSAA and have continued to do so ever since. I think that is what being a Rebel represents as we were "never" meant to be in that game by the traditional sense of things. Anyway, you have not made this community member mad as everyone is entitled to their opinions, and we can always agree to disagree and still be friends.

I have actually heard or have had sent to me about 5 different "origin" stories.  I will say that all of them claim to have come from grandparents who were part of the original classes at the school.  Only one of them support this telling but I have to say that I have no idea whether it's true or not.  One of them told me that the soldier used for many years was actually a union soldier.  I DO that is not the case.  It has also been recorded that the Sr's chose between the Brigadiers and the Rebels.  If that's the case the team captains telling seems to lose water.  But again, since I wasn't there I really have no idea.  I recently saw a memory on FB of a few QB club guys spending a few hours assembling a brand new 7 man blocking sled. It was 8 years ago and I swear it seems like it was maybe 2.  I will never forget those times and especially loading up to take long road trips to see the team play.  I will always bleed  black and gold.  I just hate that a name has a connection to something that I couldn't possibly disagree with more.  I still think it should be changed, but again, it's just my opinion. 

I'm to the point now with this that no human or group of humans need to be chosen as a team mascot.

On 7/14/2020 at 4:40 AM, BEChargers said:

I have actually heard or have had sent to me about 5 different "origin" stories.  I will say that all of them claim to have come from grandparents who were part of the original classes at the school.  Only one of them support this telling but I have to say that I have no idea whether it's true or not.  One of them told me that the soldier used for many years was actually a union soldier.  I DO that is not the case.  It has also been recorded that the Sr's chose between the Brigadiers and the Rebels.  If that's the case the team captains telling seems to lose water.  But again, since I wasn't there I really have no idea.  I recently saw a memory on FB of a few QB club guys spending a few hours assembling a brand new 7 man blocking sled. It was 8 years ago and I swear it seems like it was maybe 2.  I will never forget those times and especially loading up to take long road trips to see the team play.  I will always bleed  black and gold.  I just hate that a name has a connection to something that I couldn't possibly disagree with more.  I still think it should be changed, but again, it's just my opinion. 

The main point that I was making is that there is plenty of so called evidence out there that the intent had nothing to do with confederacy. So my question is why isn't the original intent taken into consideration? I am not advocating either way as I will support Boyle football and sports no matter the decision and I would never in my life want anything like our mascot to cause someone else pain and suffering. So let me ask this in a different way if there was concrete evidence that the name had nothing to do with the confederacy would that matter in any decision for it to be changed? and I am not saying your opinion BEChargers I am just saying in general would it be an issue if there was proof? I want to reiterate that I am asking this question to continue the conversation and I am again in no way advocating in either direction for the name to stay or go.

8 hours ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

...

So let me ask this in a different way if there was concrete evidence that the name had nothing to do with the confederacy would that matter in any decision for it to be changed? and I am not saying your opinion BEChargers I am just saying in general would it be an issue if there was proof? ...

Its the cancel culture of today.  Once the accusation is made, regardless of truth or fact or history the decision makers are put under the microscope and hounded to "fix it", even if its not broken. 

Specifically to Boyle County, in 10 years of being a parent of kids from a rival school I can not ever recall anything tied to a Confederate legacy. 

 

14 hours ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Specifically to Boyle County, in 10 years of being a parent of kids from a rival school I can not ever recall anything tied to a Confederate legacy. 

Boyle County's yearbook was at one time called "The Confederate." So yeah, I definitely think there was a tie there...

Just for the record....Boyle County's yearbook has never been called "The Confederate".

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.