I went out last night and had a lot of discussions about COVID-19 shutdowns

theguru

I went to two different bars for live music and out to eat. I probably talked to 15 people, many at depth, about all the COVID-19 shutdowns and unequivocally every one of them thought we (the powers that be) were over reacting. They ranged in age from teenagers at Steak N Shake to a couple of peeps old enough to be my parents.

Many of them had the look of desperation in their eyes, they have to work, they have to pay their bills.

I threw out some of the Catch-22 points we have discussed on BGP and no one had an answer for that other than something is going to eventually kill us all, I have to work, I am going to go out, I am taking my chances...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to two different bars for live music and out to eat. I probably talked to 15 people, many at depth, about all the COVID-19 shutdowns and unequivocally every one of them thought we (the powers that be) were over reacting. They ranged in age from teenagers at Steak N Shake to a couple of peeps old enough to be my parents.

Many of them had the look of desperation in their eyes, they have to work, they have to pay their bills.

I threw out some of the Catch-22 points we have discussed on BGP and no one had an answer for that other than something is going to eventually kill us all, I have to work, I am going to go out, I am taking my chances...

Just think, it would have been much safer to have stayed at home and discussed on this forum.

Not surprised that this is the mindset of many.

I have the luxury of being retired so I don't have to go out much at all. The only real crimp it's putting in my lifestyle is that I'm attending fewer auctions.

I have the luxury of being retired so I don't have to go out much at all. The only real crimp it's putting in my lifestyle is that I'm attending fewer auctions.

And you're not allowed any visitors at the Nursing Home either, are you?

I feel for you, Pops.

I know the feeling. I sat one out yesterday.

For the people that are just blatantly ignoring recommendations, I have zero sympathy. The humbling they have coming is long overdue in most cases.

Yeah those are the people that this is going to have the biggest psychological impact on. I've prepared myself for it mentally and figure it'll give me time to do some things around the house that that I haven't had time to do due to work. We have a small basketball court, playground, trampoline and a decent sized yard for the kids to play in. People that live in apartment complexes and such are gonna have the hardest time dealing with this because they likely won't be able to go outside at all.

I spoke with someone who gets briefings from multiple alphabet agencies and government sources and he said the attitude you describe is why they are canceling everything they can.

He indicated those making the decision know this the typical attitude and hence the heavy handed actions.