Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

Dr. Cameron Kyle-Sidell from NYC has posted a series of 3 (through today) videos on the treatment using ventilators.

His main message is that the "programing" of the ventilators that they typically use may be causing damage. The standard programming assumes a patient's muscles can not do the work.

Here is a short video from 4 days ago. His first video from 5 days ago is longer and more detailed. He posted a quick one this morning as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWaq8HoEROU

Link to his YT page with all 3 (as of now) videos:

Cameron Kyle-Sidell

- YouTube

I think many more people are honoring the shutdown than not.......at least that has been my informal observation. One question: If you are honoring the shutdown, how do you know what others are doing? Shouldn't you be inside?

Some of us are still working, going to the grocery store, etc. Also, I can stand in my front yard and see a ton of traffic every day.

People are still crowding at parks. People are still crowding at church. People are still crowding at the stores that are open. We’ve done a lot of things that will have an affect on the numbers, eventually. You can’t give people the option to do the right thing because they won’t.

Those things are true in some places. My guess is our level of social contacts now are maybe 10% of what they were one month ago. I think this level of social distancing should be sufficient for our healthcare system to get control of the spread of this illness.

We have one month to develop competency to test everyone who may be exposed and start opening things up. Can the US get their testing ability competent in one month? I don't know. Three months into this we are finally seeing more rapid testing being established. I would certainly hope we can establish rapid testing everywhere within one month but the incompetency displayed so far in the US on handling this virus causes doubts.

I think many more people are honoring the shutdown than not.......at least that has been my informal observation. One question: If you are honoring the shutdown, how do you know what others are doing? Shouldn't you be inside?

Some of us are still going to work every day. It’s not hard to see.

I work, I've been to the grocery store 3 times, I've been to the hardware store 4 times since March 15th. I practice what I'd consider pretty good social distancing techniques despite having to be out in public. I'm careful about what I touch. I try my best to maintain the 6 foot rule. My groceries are brought home and sit for three days before I begin consuming them.

What I've witnessed thus far:

1. Yes, people are still getting out and about. It's obvious that probably 75% aren't working because that's what traffic is down to in the morning. By noon the roads have filled up to almost normal level traffic.

2. There are many, many teenage kids gathering in groups. I understand they're probably bored, I am and I'm still working.

3. Our elders are still getting out and about. Only witnessed this at grocery stores. So it seems they're only out to get essentials. I wished they'd let some family members help them or at least have resources they could rely on.

4. More people are starting to mask up. I've heard rumors that stores are going to require that their patrons wear masks while in the stores.

5. I haven't witnessed people in crowds. I haven't been to church and outside of work and sports activities that's the only time I'd see people in crowds. Sports have ended and work has been operating on skeleton crews.

One perfect world recommendation. I wish we'd have one two week period of national discipline. Everyone go get supplies for two weeks. Stay in place. Isolate. If you feel bad after two weeks, stay home or go to the hospital. Then maybe we can crush this thing. But it won't happen.

Some numbers analysis using numbers from the Atlantic link that includes total number tests given in each state - a number that provides some level if insight. I layered state population that I had pulled from a source. a) With this I got Percentage of state population that has been tested. b) Positive tests that is expressed as percent of tests in a) and c) Deaths per 100,000 of state population. Sadly, this is progably the most objective metric available now that provides some insight as to impact. Though as noted here anyone who is diagnosed and has symptoms is stressful on all involved. Numbers were as of Friday.

Numbers without opinion here. Do note the vast range of numbers on these metrics.

Link:

How Many People Have the Coronavirus in Your State Right Now? - The Atlantic

Who has tested the most based on number of total tests divided by state population:

1. NY - 1.39%

2. Louisiana - 1.17%

3. Washington - 1.09%

4. Mass - 0.91%

5. Hawaii - 0.87 %

17. Tennessee - 0.55%

33. Kentucky - 0.35%

35. Ohio - 0.33%

51. Oklahoma - 0.06%

Percent of tests that come back positive

1. Michigan - 51.7% (24,637 tests, 12,744 positive)

2. New Jersey - 44.29%

3. Oklahoma - 42.9%

4. New York - 38.0%

5. Conn - 24%

6. Georgia - 23.5%

26. Ohio - 8.6%

28. Tennessee - 8.11%

40. Kentucky - 5.34%

51. Hawaii - 2.60% (12,278 tests, 319 positive)

Deaths per 100,000 of population

1. New York - 15.0 (2,935 deaths, 19,500,000 population)

2. Louisiana - 8.0

3. New Jersey - 7.3

4. Michigan - 4.8

5. Conn - 3.8

6. Washington - 3.7

7. Mass - 2.8

19. Kentucky - 0.84

22. Ohio - 0.78

31. Tennessee - 0.54

50. West Virginia - 0.11

51. Wyoming - 0

District of Columbia is included in the lists.

Me too. My contacts in my job now are 25% or more less than what they were one month ago. That is true for everyone that I work with and I work for a large company.

What does that have to do with people still being out and about in public?

I still have to work. Fortunately with my line of work I can make it though the entire day with only interacting with the person that is in the truck with me. But we drive all over the Ashland area at least 5 days a week so I see what stores are busy, I see how much traffic is on the roads, as well as how many people are in cars as well as their age groups.

Just to touch on the subject a little deeper Boyd County ordered all parks shut down a while back. Yet a week or so later the city of Ashland had to go remove the basketball goals in their parks because people were still playing pickup games. Long story short, people don't listen unless they are forced to do so.

I have been home since March 18th, except for two trips to pick up Kroger Click List orders. Both times I was out, there seemed to be a lot of traffic in and around the grocery/supercenter/hardware stores.

There is is an off-road course and racetrack less than a mile from my house. Over the weekend, I would estimate that at least 300 vehicles have driven past my house, loaded with their off roaders or dirt bikes. Several include campers for staying overnight. I doubt that this falls in the category of complying with social distancing directives.

I have been home since March 18th, except for two trips to pick up Kroger Click List orders. Both times I was out, there seemed to be a lot of traffic in and around the grocery/supercenter/hardware stores.

There is is an off-road course and racetrack less than a mile from my house. Over the weekend, I would estimate that at least 300 vehicles have driven past my house, loaded with their off roaders or dirt bikes. Several include campers for staying overnight. I doubt that this falls in the category of complying with social distancing directives.

There is a very large one in Boyd County as well. It brings in people from all over this portion of the country and actually generates a lot of tourism revenue. Thankfully they shut down pretty early due to the fact that most of their customer base is not local to the Ashland area.

What does that have to do with people still being out and about in public?

I mis interpreted your post. I thought you were inferring because so many people are still working that contacts were not down that much. Now I see that you were saying because you are still going to work you drive by people on your way to and from work. To that, I would reply I also drive to and from work everyday and the difference in traffic is drastic. I see people out walking but I can't recall one single instance where I saw something happening that alarmed me as violating the social contact rules.

I mis interpreted your post. I thought you were inferring because so many people are still working that contacts were not down that much. Now I see that you were saying because you are still going to work you drive by people on your way to and from work. To that, I would reply I also drive to and from work everyday and the difference in traffic is drastic. I see people out walking but I can't recall one single instance where I saw something happening that alarmed me as violating the social contact rules.

I agree that traffic during normal rush hour has been drastically different.

The stores that are still open have been at a normal level of business every time I’ve driven by. Lowe’s last weekend was as busy as I’ve very seen it.