Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

Italy's death toll jumped to 30% yesterday, which is higher than China's (if you can believe them). We are either 2 weeks from this getting really scary or it starting to wane.

Italy has had 12,462 confirmed cases and 827 deaths. That is a ton, and horrific, to be sure, but not near 30%.

The CDC doc last night at the best point I've heard: China has had this for 9 weeks, our population is 1/4th of theirs, have inferior resources, and were blind-sided by this, and they've had a total of 80k confirmed cases. Of those, less than 4,000 deaths, which is still 5%. So people talking about USA having 50,000,000 confirmed cases just seem ridiculous and sensational.

I wish every Doctor / medical professional had the same opinion instead of all over the map, so to speak, but again, the math in the above seems pretty solid.

On a side note.... in NKY, both the Hebron & Union Kroger were crazy busy last night. I guess the school closing announcement was the trigger. Panic buying gives us some sense of control I guess.

The Union Kroger not only had 2 hour lines to checkout (Wednesdays are typically a lighter day and they had fewer lanes open), but they had a dust-up over something that 3 Florence PD folks rushed into the store to deal with. What is wrong with people!?

Italy has had 12,462 confirmed cases and 827 deaths. That is a ton, and horrific, to be sure, but not near 30%.

The CDC doc last night at the best point I've heard: China has had this for 9 weeks, our population is 1/4th of theirs, have inferior resources, and were blind-sided by this, and they've had a total of 80k confirmed cases. Of those, less than 4,000 deaths, which is still 5%. So people talking about USA having 50,000,000 confirmed cases just seem ridiculous and sensational.

I wish every Doctor / medical professional had the same opinion instead of all over the map, so to speak, but again, the math in the above seems pretty solid.

Italy's death toll is over 1k.

However China also has 0 compunction with trampling on individual liberties and given the great firewall of China it is entirely possible that the numbers may be higher. Furthermore we are talking about the country of Tienanmen square so forcefully locking down a city is nothing to them.

Also per BBC deaths in Italy are up to 1016, apparently 188 more have passed away in the last 24 hours.

The numbers some people are throwing out are just beyond absurd. Any rational thought can eliminate those huge numbers from being even remotely legitimate.

The bolded is exactly where I stand, but I think that is also part of why there is so much concern. We don't really know, even the doctors.

FWIW I am still on the side of not panicking, I just don't think that the US is going to react quickly enough or thoroughly enough.

Same, I wouldn't call it a panic, but I'm definitely more anxious about than I was previously. When the Ivy League cancelled their tournament I scoffed and thought, "c'mon" but with everyone now doing it. Cruise lines shutting down all operations, etc, I think we have to realize it's serious.

Same, I wouldn't call it a panic, but I'm definitely more anxious about than I was previously. When the Ivy League cancelled their tournament I scoffed and thought, "c'mon" but with everyone now doing it. Cruise lines shutting down all operations, etc, I think we have to realize it's serious.

I'm not saying they're making the wrong decision now in canceling, but I think a lot of these were waiting for someone else to take the lead, and once it became an optics issue, that's when everything started happening. I don't think this is truly more serious today than it was 48 hours ago. It was serious then and it's serious now, but now there are a lot more visible signs.