Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

It is coming. Fort Thomas schools more than likely will be shutting their doors beginning on Monday. Not extended spring break like Ohio schools, but virtual learning.

I guess that is the one silver lining in all of this is that we now have the ability for kids to learn remotely.

The kids that have the necessary tools at home, at any rate.

The kids that have the necessary tools at home, at any rate.

While my son has his own laptop, our internet connection is horrible (often times less than 1 Mbps)...so as long as they're not streaming a lecture or anything like that, we might be okay. However, there's been times in the past where we've had to drive to McDonald's to get something to connect/download, just because we didn't have the bandwidth to do it at home. I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

We'll definitely have adverse economic impacts. However, if we are able to get it under control via social distancing then things might be able to reboot by the summer. At least that's what I'm hoping. Unlike 2008, this is a societal issue more than banks freezing up their credit lines.

My concerns are people who don't get paid sick leave.

Restaurants are gonna go drive thru only soon. At that point, who’s going?

We've gotten an email from one of my son's teachers saying that if that's the route the school district eventually decides to go (online), that she'd be utilizing Google Classroom for her stuff. Basically it was a reassurance that her class wouldn't face too many obstacles going forward, as she already utilizes GC for stuff already.

My thought was...I know Google is HUGE...but, if every teacher, in every school district in the country decided to go online and utilize their service...do they have the servers to handle THAT much traffic? (And if not, I'm sure they're already working on it.)

Its not just server capacity. Its easy to throw cpu, memory and storage at capacity with cloud vmware based servers. But networks, especially vpn gateways, are going to be tested in the next week or more. Its not just end-point bandwidth or internal bandwidth. Its address spaces, its special device capacity that is not 'cloud expandable' on the fly that will run out of cycles. The internet is about to get tested. End point VPN services (where you have a client on your laptop or desktop and VPN in) will really get tested.

I am in the enterprise application hosting area. Clients are now asking for hundreds of managed endpoint VPN clients. Yes, its a service that is offered, But it is usually used for extreme disaster recovery situations where the clients access point for normal access (MPLS or IPSec VPN) is taken out. But now they are sending employees home and their request is just give us hundreds of VPNs clients for the employees to come directly into the hosted site. Managing this impromptu work-at-home program will be a challenge for businesses that have not really relied on this model. Managing this on a school system wide level or state level for more than a few days seems like it will be a challenge.

And there is the issue of bandwidth at homes. I am just outside of Lexington. And stuck with DSL - 10Mbps down, 1Mbps up. I can use it for a home office - by myself. Webex, Skype, Teams etc. work OK. But given the same situation with 2 or 3 kids trying to do "on-line" schooling would not be pretty. Not everyone is on 100 Mbps fiber yet. Especially outside the metros in this state.

While my son has his own laptop, our internet connection is horrible (often times less than 1 Mbps)...so as long as they're not streaming a lecture or anything like that, we might be okay. However, there's been times in the past where we've had to drive to McDonald's to get something to connect/download, just because we didn't have the bandwidth to do it at home. I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

Windstream DSL....copper...10 Mbps down (pay $5 extra a month for that, otherwise 5 Mbps) and 1 Mbps up. And when it rains it slows down. And when everyone in the neighborhood is on Netflix on Friday night - it slows down. And we are one county outside of Fayette. But outside city limits. So no cable and Metronet told our HOA people to pound sand on expecting any new service soon.