Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

Hearing scuttlebutt of a some sort of mandated lockdown coming in the near future. If that happens what will people say next? ”Don’t panic but unless you have essential work you have to stay in your house.”

Yeah, that’ll go over great.

People are being advised to make sure they have at least a month’s worth of their prescription medicine.

There is about to be a National State of Emergency, but I don't believe that will be accompanied by a mandatory lock-down.

The difference between Kroger on Tuesday vs. Thursday Night, at least in Alexandria, was a little astonishing. We were actually almost out of TP, so I went ahead and got some as well as some other essentials on Tuesday thankfully. My wife asked me to go pick up a few other things. At 8:30pm last night it was quiet there but man you can tell it got wiped out. A few things:

1) You can tell that most people just don't care about Simple Truth or organic. I guess when you're buying in bulk, you just get what is cheaper. There were only Simple Truth eggs left and the Organic section looked like no one stepped foot in it.

2) Kroger is going to be running a massive sale on Cream of Mushroom

3) Young cashier told me how insane it was. Said that people were consistently spending $750+.

In some ways, this is reminiscent of Y2K.

Supply chain interruptions, social chaos, natural disasters, etc. result in empty shelves. And the two things that become scarce first in these and similar situations is water....and TP. And neither has an alternative or a good alternative if not available. So these two items are tops on the "prepper list".

And now we know who all are closet preppers or at least have their list ready....:)

Real story - a childhood friends lives in north Florida. When the hurricane(s) were threatening he did offer to let people stay on his 2 or so acres in campstyle mode. But what was something that ran out and he had to ask for on facebook - toilet paper.

I can't get on board with the bolded because there are alternatives to bottled water or toilet paper if crap really hit the fan.

Water for instance will still be coming out of the taps at our homes. I know a lot of people prefer bottled water but if that's not available, drink the tap water, you'll still live. I don't get the toilet paper thing at all, if ya run out you can find something similar that will work. If it gets that bad cut up anything made of cloth, use it and burn it when you're done with it. I know, that's not ideal, but it would work just fine.

Medical Community I've spoken to believes it has been in this country for 60 days, and certainly was here within 48 hours of the first case in China.

Seems like that would change things a bit, right? More in line with what you've posted here earlier in the thread.

I can't get on board with the bolded because there are alternatives to bottled water or toilet paper if crap really hit the fan.

Water for instance will still be coming out of the taps at our homes. I know a lot of people prefer bottled water but if that's not available, drink the tap water, you'll still live. I don't get the toilet paper thing at all, if ya run out you can find something similar that will work. If it gets that bad cut up anything made of cloth, use it and burn it when you're done with it. I know, that's not ideal, but it would work just fine.

Or just poop and then shower and use your well evolved fingers to clean up the mess.

Probably treated and released to be self-quarantined in their own homes because there isn't space for them in the hospitals. Have to hope and pray that these individuals follow instruction, although I'm leaning more and more towards the fact that it doesn't matter and most of us will wind up with it, it's just a matter how does it affect each individual.

Exactly, this should be viewed as optimism!

Or just poop and then shower and use your well evolved fingers to clean up the mess.

Haha. That would work as well I suppose hah. My better half has accumulated about 20 or so sets of bedsheets over the past several years though and we don't use most of them. Guess what happens to those we don't use if we run out of tp and the stores don't have any? They'll get cut into squares, thrown into a paper bag then into the fire pit. Toilet paper would be one of my last concerns if we shut down like Italy has, but maybe I'm just an idiot.

I'm starting to believe we have more tests "available" than it's being made to seem, they just aren't being distributed. The Utah Jazz being able to get tests and turned around so quickly is why I'm leaning that way.

I’m kind of wondering what the advantage of being one of the elites who is able to be tested is at this point ?

Let’s say I tested negative. Great. Huge relief.

I still don’t know about the health of my wife, son, parents, in-laws, coworkers and the 100s of other people I may come in contact with each day.

So if you test negative and you aren’t willing to absolutely isolate yourself until this thing is over, then what’s the point ?