Seriously, I need someone smarter than me to explain this...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How and why do the Royals give Gil Meche $11 million per year for 5 years?

Average pitching must be the biggest commodity in all of sports. Guys with an ERA of over 4.0 and win half of their starts are cashing in.

Pro sports in general is getting absurd.

Average pitching must be the biggest commodity in all of sports. Guys with an ERA of over 4.0 and win half of their starts are cashing in.

Pro sports in general is getting absurd.

Again, my issue isn't necessarily with Meche getting paid, it's why are the Royals paying so much for a starter...period.

Main reason is that the Royals need pitching badly and were willing to sign Meche no matter what it took. Obviously they were very hot on him from the start and it didn't appear that they had targeted too many other guys. The biggest question from the thread is not what were the Royals thinking but what was Meche thinking? Sure he got his money, but he could have gotten very close to that amount by signing with the Chicago Cubs. More money or not, I see no reason why not to go to a team that can contend instead of a horrid Kansas City team.

Main reason is that the Royals need pitching badly and were willing to sign Meche no matter what it took. Obviously they were very hot on him from the start and it didn't appear that they had targeted too many other guys. The biggest question from the thread is not what were the Royals thinking but what was Meche thinking? Sure he got his money, but he could have gotten very close to that amount by signing with the Chicago Cubs. More money or not, I see no reason why not to go to a team that can contend instead of a horrid Kansas City team.

Holy Cow!!! Sacrifice a goat!!! God Bless Jody Davis!!! Hello to Phil (the Vulture) Regan!!! Give a doughnut to Rick Reuschel!!!! My 66-96 Cubbies are CONTENDERS!!!!:ylsuper:

Lancaster with more from the Royals...

Remember John Bale? Oh, come on. How could you forget? He somehow made nine starts for the deconstructed Reds of late '03, then disappeared, eventually finding a home in Japan.

It seems the free-spending Royals have signed Bale to a two-year deal, which gives me an excuse to link to an interesting story I ran across a few weeks ago. Bale lives in the Tampa area, and his sister is married to Lightning star Vincent Lecavalier. Now he may get a chance to pitch against Iwamura this season.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/rays/MGBG71C8QUE.html

This is one of the most ridiculous contracts I have ever seen.

Reason #1: Meche is not good

Reason #2 Why would the Royals give anyone $11 million a year? They suck and one player is not going to make a difference. The could have got a lot more for 11 million.