Seriously, I need someone smarter than me to explain this...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems you are not the only one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhNzXKzgVrcwXIyOWkalzQgRvLYF?slug=jp-wmwrap120706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Worst Contract, Vol. 1: Gil Meche, Kansas City Royals, five years, $55 million. If the Royals were going to give out that amount of years and dollars, why didn't they just go after A.J. Burnett last season? In Meche, they get a sinkerballer who spent time in the minor leagues two years ago and has found minimal success at the big-league level.

They must rely on http://www.Baseball-Reference.com for all scouting...

Similar pitchers through age 27...

1. Jason Marquis (972)

2. Hank Johnson (968)

3. Jason Jennings (959)

4. Chris Carpenter (959)

5. Jason Schmidt (958)

6. Matt Clement (956)

7. Shawn Estes (955)

8. Willard Nixon (955)

9. Johnny Marcum (955)

10. Todd Stottlemyre (954)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mechegi01.shtml

How and why do the Royals give Gil Meche $11 million per year for 5 years?
I've learned today, that some questions can't be answered....perhaps why the Royals, are usually eliminated from the Playoffs, by the end of May every year.

$55 mil....:eek:

Greenberg opined this morning on "Mike and Mike" that this might be the worst contract in baaseball history. I can only assume he meant from the ball club's perspective; not the player's.

I can tell you why the Royals gave Meche that much money, right after this.

:banana:

They're goofy.

I'm not even so much questioning him getting that contract (although that is a head-scratcher too), but moreso why the Royals are giving ANYONE $11 million a year when they have tons of holes in their roster. I could see the Reds doing it, for example, because you could say they are a STUD pitcher away from contending. However, are the Royals in that boat? I don't think so.

I truly can't understand it from any perspective.

I'm not even so much questioning him getting that contract (although that is a head-scratcher too), but moreso why the Royals are giving ANYONE $11 million a year when they have tons of holes in their roster. I could see the Reds doing it, for example, because you could say they are a STUD pitcher away from contending. However, are the Royals in that boat? I don't think so.

I truly can't understand it from any perspective.

Excellent points and I can foresee a franchise relocation, if this type of overspending and not getting the value in return, keeps occurring.

Fans won't tolerate exhorbanent salaries for some, while others are floundering and the combination, may be enough for the Royals franchise to go elsewhere....which would be a shame, with all their history, Brett, White, Patek, Rojas, Quisenberry, etc....

Do you really think he'll finish out this contract as a Royal?
The Royals will probably trade him, for an old veteran and 2 Minor Leaguers....then pick up part of his salary.

This once proud franchise, went down hill quickly recently.