Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Seriously, I need someone smarter than me to explain this...

Featured Replies

How and why do the Royals give Gil Meche $11 million per year for 5 years?

  • Replies 37
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems you are not the only one.

 

 

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhNzXKzgVrcwXIyOWkalzQgRvLYF?slug=jp-wmwrap120706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

 

Worst Contract, Vol. 1: Gil Meche, Kansas City Royals, five years, $55 million. If the Royals were going to give out that amount of years and dollars, why didn't they just go after A.J. Burnett last season? In Meche, they get a sinkerballer who spent time in the minor leagues two years ago and has found minimal success at the big-league level.

That's the Royals for you ... :lol:

 

Seriously, I would be worried about anyone that could justify it.

They must rely on http://www.Baseball-Reference.com for all scouting...

 

Similar pitchers through age 27...

 

1. Jason Marquis (972)

2. Hank Johnson (968)

3. Jason Jennings (959)

4. Chris Carpenter (959)

5. Jason Schmidt (958)

6. Matt Clement (956)

7. Shawn Estes (955)

8. Willard Nixon (955)

9. Johnny Marcum (955)

10. Todd Stottlemyre (954)

 

 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mechegi01.shtml

How and why do the Royals give Gil Meche $11 million per year for 5 years?
I've learned today, that some questions can't be answered....perhaps why the Royals, are usually eliminated from the Playoffs, by the end of May every year.

 

$55 mil....:eek:

Greenberg opined this morning on "Mike and Mike" that this might be the worst contract in baaseball history. I can only assume he meant from the ball club's perspective; not the player's.

Greenberg opined this morning on "Mike and Mike" that this might be the worst contract in baaseball history. I can only assume he meant from the ball club's perspective; not the player's.

 

I can tell you why the Royals gave Meche that much money, right after this.

 

:banana:

 

They're goofy.

  • Author

I'm not even so much questioning him getting that contract (although that is a head-scratcher too), but moreso why the Royals are giving ANYONE $11 million a year when they have tons of holes in their roster. I could see the Reds doing it, for example, because you could say they are a STUD pitcher away from contending. However, are the Royals in that boat? I don't think so.

 

I truly can't understand it from any perspective.

I'm not even so much questioning him getting that contract (although that is a head-scratcher too), but moreso why the Royals are giving ANYONE $11 million a year when they have tons of holes in their roster. I could see the Reds doing it, for example, because you could say they are a STUD pitcher away from contending. However, are the Royals in that boat? I don't think so.

 

I truly can't understand it from any perspective.

Excellent points and I can foresee a franchise relocation, if this type of overspending and not getting the value in return, keeps occurring.

 

Fans won't tolerate exhorbanent salaries for some, while others are floundering and the combination, may be enough for the Royals franchise to go elsewhere....which would be a shame, with all their history, Brett, White, Patek, Rojas, Quisenberry, etc....

It's just bizarre. Even for the money, I'm wondering if Meche will regret (when he could have taken 4 years/$40 mil) spending 5 years banished to the desert that is the Royals.

It's just bizarre. Even for the money, I'm wondering if Meche will regret (when he could have taken 4 years/$40 mil) spending 5 years banished to the desert that is the Royals.
Doyou really think he'll finish out this contract as a Royal?
Do you really think he'll finish out this contract as a Royal?
The Royals will probably trade him, for an old veteran and 2 Minor Leaguers....then pick up part of his salary.

 

This once proud franchise, went down hill quickly recently.

That's the Royals for you ... :lol:

 

Seriously, I would be worried about anyone that could justify it.

 

Two people --

 

Gil Meche

 

Gil Meche's agent

 

:lol:

Isn't Larue in KC now? Maybe he wanted to throw to the cowboy.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.