Air Canada no longer using "Ladies and Gentlemen"

MJAlltheWay24

I heard on the radio that Air Canada will no longer be using "Ladies and Gentlemen" when greeting guests on their flights in recognition of gender fluidity. I really just don't understand what is wrong with saying "ladies and gentlemen" to a group of people?

Identifying as the opposite sex is a concept I don't really understand but it doesn't affect me, so identify as whatever you want and be happy. But doesn't "ladies and gentlemen" address everyone no matter your sex? I don't understand why someone would be offended by someone addressing a group of people as "ladies and gentlemen".

It feels like we are so far down a rabbit hole on this stuff, we aren't ever getting out.

Here is a link about it:

Air Canada to stop announcing ‘ladies and gentlemen’ in recognition of gender fluidity

I don't get it, but whatever.

I also don't get why companies - from a business sense - announce something like this? Why not just send out a memo which says, "For now in your greeting, let's do our best to reference everybody as a 'passenger.'" Of course if you do that, people who identify as a "traveler" will be offended.

I don't get it, but whatever.

I also don't get why companies - from a business sense - announce something like this? Why not just send out a memo which says, "For now in your greeting, let's do our best to reference everybody as a 'passenger.'" Of course if you do that, people who identify as a "traveler" will be offended.

I agree. Would anyone even notice if they didn't announce the change?

They do it for this.

We're all talking about Air Canada now.

Companies pay for marketing and PR expertise because... it works.

That's why they make the announcement anyway.

As for the change: it's a thing that hurts absolutely no one and makes the small number of people affected by it feel a little better. Why not do it?

It's really gotten stupid. The championing of gender fluidity, does anyone know what the end goal is?

The fact that I have to worry about offending someone inadvertently when someone takes my order at a drive thru and I say thank you ma'am or sir is just sad. It makes me never want to go through the drive thru again.

I get it. But if I'm in PR in that company, no chance we make that change, or announce it. It's just not worth the potential can of worms it opens.

It doesn't open a can of worms at all. We have a few reactionary online discussions for 5 or 6 days and then everyone forgets that the Flight Attendant script for Air Canada flights ever started with anything other than "Good morning, everyone..."

It doesn't open a can of worms at all. We have a few reactionary online discussions for 5 or 6 days and then everyone forgets that the Flight Attendant script for Air Canada flights ever started with anything other than "Good morning, everyone..."

Everybody all tore up knowing good and well they don't pay a lick of attention to anything a flight attendant announces!

It's really gotten stupid. The championing of gender fluidity, does anyone know what the end goal is?

The fact that I have to worry about offending someone inadvertently when someone takes my order at a drive thru and I say thank you ma'am or sir is just sad. It makes me never want to go through the drive thru again.

Or you could just say “Thank you”. And leave the ma’am or sir out of the transaction. This is so far down on the “things that bother me list” it’s not even worth mentioning, and I’ll never understand why so many are bothered by it so much.